Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-29-2017, 10:57 AM   #1

finding sites with a class a pulling a trailer

I have been looking a various options for RV travel and wondered if it is difficult to find a site when you have a class a MH pulling a trailer? My plan was a 34-36 foot MH pulling a 16' enclosed trailer. Do most camp grounds have a spot to store a trailer if your site is not large enough? Thanks
waspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-29-2017, 11:08 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by waspp View Post
I have been looking a various options for RV travel and wondered if it is difficult to find a site when you have a class a MH pulling a trailer? My plan was a 34-36 foot MH pulling a 16' enclosed trailer. Do most camp grounds have a spot to store a trailer if your site is not large enough? Thanks
It's a very rare campground that I've been to, that has anyplace to store a trailer that is not on your site. Those that had, it was a real laborious procedure to try and get it there (a locked yard), and then retrieve. One insisted that they had to move it there with their equipment, and of course there was a ridiculous charge to do that.

The better plan if you have to have that trailer is to restrict yourself to longer commercial pull thru sites, or boondock at Walmarts.

I'm 35' and occasionally pull a 12' bed trailer, and I just plan to stop at Wallies, otherwise it is just too much of a hassle. On those times I had reservations at a longer commercial pull thru site (staying at a location longer than one night), I had no problem getting in or out with the trailer attached. Although I can back up with the trailer, I don't plan to do that at a campground because you have no idea how close the campgrounds might be packed in, and other folks parking toads out near the edge or on the roads.

So just book a pull thru site, long enough for your combined length.
Kiawah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 11:47 AM   #3

52 ft. isn't very long; I don't think you will have much problem. Our motorhome is 29' and we tow a 22' open car trailer. We tend to stay at KOA's and rarely, if ever, have not been able to find a site long enough for our rig. I always reserve; either on line or by phone, and always state our overall length. That said, over the years on 3 different locations at independent campgounds, we had to store the car and trailer separate from our campsite. The car isn't street driven, so it remains on the trailer.

Also, I use the measuring tool on Google Earth to review any campsite I'm considering.

Quote:
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 11:57 AM   #4

Thanks for the good info! One thing I didn't mention was we will be staying at sites long tern (13 weeks) while my wife is on assignment.
waspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 12:15 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Thanks for the good info! One thing I didn't mention was we will be staying at sites long tern (13 weeks) while my wife is on assignment.
I've never stayed anywhere more than 2 weeks, can't help you.

So you're looking for both a long term pad location in some unknown state and city, AND one that will allow storage of a trailer somewhere.

Seems like way too restrictive, and not sure how you could possibly get an answer without calling the specific campground you're looking to stay at.

I'd find a way to eliminate the trailer from the campground requirements, and hope you can find long term sites near where you need to work, at reasonable prices. If you don't need access to the trailer (you're not explaining it's role/need), most cities have trailer storage yards that you can potentially park it remotely at, assuming you have a truck or something you can easily maneuver it to (rather than driving your motorhome there). Trailers get stolen quite often, so make sure it's as secure a site that it can be, given it's potentially unmanned and remote.
Kiawah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 12:26 PM   #6

Most commercial storage sites have spots for trailers. I put my MH at one while I worked on the driveway. Had to pay $50 for the month even though it was a few weeks...no biggie.
Old 10-29-2017, 02:04 PM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
We are 43' towing a 19' pickup and haven't had a problem. Our previous rig was 41' with the same pickup which we used for 75,000 miles across the country regularly again without issues. You should not have a problem.
Cousin Ed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 03:05 PM   #8

We are currently 68' long and up until this year was 73' long. We always found a place to stay. In the busy season for any area, reservations are always a good idea for any length rig. My son is 76' long and has always found a campground that could handle him. He mostly stays at KOA's. Many RV parks will have 70-80' sites.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 10:41 AM   #9

I don't know about long term, but I think I've had them all. We're 36' with 24' trailer, we've had pull thru's and a lot of older campgrounds have made it a Pull thru utilizing 2 sites head to head and just pull thru. For the price of one, always been there idea. Have also had to disconnect and leave the trailer from the next site to the end off the road to there storage lot, just this past summer we had to drop the trailer and they hauled it away with a tractor. Hooking and unhooking Isn't a big problem I can see the ball with coach camera and have a camera on back of trailer
Old 10-30-2017, 11:27 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
I towed a 16' open trailer behind my 36' MH for 9 years and only was asked to disconnect once. I always ask for a pull through site 56' or more long and if they didn't have one I went somewhere else. For the last 5 years I use the trailer less as I got a car I could flat tow.

Tags
class a, trailer