Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-22-2014, 07:18 AM   #29

Mid Atlantic Campers
Thanks Everybody! I will be adding several fire extinguishers to the new coach for sure. We had a combine fire once behind the grain tank and went through four of those little extinguishers so fast it scared the heck out of us. Somebody said spray the base of the fire but in a combine you can't alway get to the base of the fire so that bugger fired right back up. We had to soak it with water to kill the fire.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-22-2014, 09:24 AM   #30
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Step 1- Replace the cooling unit on the fridge with one of the Amish-built units so you don't become a "crispy critter" !

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 09:32 AM   #31

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I'm a newbie here with a Norcold refridgerator. What is an Amish built unit?
Old 01-22-2014, 09:44 AM   #32

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Harriet View Post

DR4Film, Off topic, but did you ever get the Ultra Tuff on your roof. PM me with details, I'm very curious how it went. Thanks
The project was finished yesterday with the third and final coat of paint.

I will be posting a write-up with before and after photos most likely in this category.

I will send you a PM to let you know it has been posted.

Needless to say I am VERY pleased with the final results.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 01-22-2014, 09:53 AM   #33

As with most house fires, RV fires are often caused by carelessness which is preventable. The percentage of RVs involved in fires are probably comparable to built structures, but don't quote me. In my past life I did quite a bit of fire cause and origin investigation. Most of the fires I investigated were caused while the unit was in operation. Some of these were fatal.

Portable space heaters are fine when used properly. Pay attention to clearances on both sides and to the front. I personally have seen few fires from the use of these when properly used. Do look for those that are UL listed, not just tested.

Lots of good advise here to keep you and yours safe. You do need to supplement your existing smoke detectors which are inadequate as manufactured. I do recommend an extinguisher near your bed but caution all not to attempt to stand and fight in an attempt to extinguish a well seated fire. Fire extension in an RV happens very fast, and fiberglass and interior loading acts like solid gasoline. Only use the extinguisher to suppress small fires or to protect your route of egress. These emergency exits in the rear of a motorhome leave a lot to be desired. Falling out one could cause numerous injuries and should be done only as a last resort. The front door would always be my preference.

An engine compartment fire suppression system would be good. A dry dry chem extinguisher with a fusible link would be my choice. The thing to take note of here is that your odds of having a catastrophic fire in your RV is remote. But with that said, make your top priority a safe exit then watch it burn like everyone else. NOTHING in your coach is worth your life. And don't forget that current insurance policy!

Greg & Lynn (Full-Timing)
2011 Phaeton 42 QBH / Spartan Chassis
2003 Jeep GC Overland in Tow
FDchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 10:23 AM   #34

Did the same question come to mind when you lived in a stick house, and passed a burned out home?

This question is really an answer!

Ed
Old 01-22-2014, 12:58 PM   #35

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
I fully concur with Myredracer. Mac The Fire Guy is the GOTO guy for RV fire safety and also high quality fire suppression systems.

I have taken a number of precautions to minimize the risk of having a total loss fire. Being that the coach is R HOME, if it were to happen we would be homeless in less than 5 minutes.

I have an AFFF system for my diesel engine. I had a Halon in the rear of the Norcold which now lives above the Inverter inside that compartment which is the rear of the diesel fired Aqua-Hot unit. I also have another Halon in the Aqua-Hot compartment. Halon works great in small confined compartments.

I have a large Cold Fire extinguisher by the front entry door. I have three smaller Cold Fire extinguishers, one in the kitchen, one in the bedroom and one in my car.

I have three 10 year Smoke & Fire Alarms. One located in the Front Run Electrical Bay, one in the Battery Compartment, and one in the Kitchen/Hallway area.

There is a LPG detector alarm near the floor under the smoke alarm. There is a CO detector alarm in the bedroom mounted to the bottom of the overhead cabinets.

The rinky dink chemical fire extinguishers that come with the coach are good to have around when you BBQ just in case but they worthless for any fire inside or outside the coach.

Mac The Fire Guy web site.

My Business - Home

Dr4Film ----- Richard
It appears you are very well protected. One thing I did not see that you mentioned, Linked smoke detectors. In your case with all of the automatic fire suppression systems they might not be as critical but for the most of us that do not have them I think they are a necessary. I am sure that most people have noticed that Class A owners as a group tend to be older. For a lot of us our hearing is not as good as it once was. If I had a ordinary smoke detector in my cargo bay I might not hear it when it goes off. With the heat pump and the TV on in my bedroom I probably would not hear it. Linked Alarms cure that. You can buy battery powered RF linked alarms at places like lowes. If one alarm is energized they all energize. In the community where I have rental property it is mandatory to have one in each bedroom and one where it can be heard in the living room, kitchen, and any other room. If a fire starts where you have one in your cargo area and you have one in your bedroom. The alarm in your bedroom is energized hopefully giving you time to get out of you RV.
Old 01-22-2014, 01:03 PM   #36

Monaco Owners Club
Excellent point and suggestion especially as our hearing gets further impaired.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 01-22-2014, 01:29 PM   #37
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1985 Bounder View Post
I'm a newbie here with a Norcold refridgerator. What is an Amish built unit?

This is a replacement cooling unit built by the Amish that is MUCH better constructed than the OEM Norcold and Dometic units. There have been MANY RV fires caused by defective fridges. When we bought the MH in 2012 the first thing I did was change out the cooling unit. I did not want to sleep in the MH even one night knowing the potential for fire! If you're interested call David Force at RV Cooling Unit Warehouse. He's a great guy to deal with!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 02:36 PM   #38

Monaco Owners Club
Mac is in Quartzsite at the Big Tent this week.
Lukeaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 03:18 PM   #39

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifftall View Post
A search of Norcold fires will be telling.
so correct!
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 08:05 PM   #40

Thumbs down Norcold strikes again

I am a new 1st time RV owner since July 2013 and already I am on the verge of a total loss due to a Norcold 4 dr 1200 fire. Let this be a lesson....the local Fire dept investigator and the independent fire investigator for the ins. company inquired to Norcold and discovered the unit actually had all required "Recall" work done and the unit still caught fire.
Old 02-25-2014, 08:09 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho7 View Post
I am a new 1st time RV owner since July 2013 and already I am on the verge of a total loss due to a Norcold 4 dr 1200 fire. Let this be a lesson....the local Fire dept investigator and the independent fire investigator for the ins. company inquired to Norcold and discovered the unit actually had all required "Recall" work done and the unit still caught fire.
Hope everyone was safely out of coach. Insurance can replace coach but not the lives.
Old 02-25-2014, 08:18 PM   #42

Can't be too safe but I don't worry about the trailer too much. We have a 20 foot boat and will start fishing again in April. I would hate to have to jump ship into the great lakes in April with water temps at 39 to 45 degrees. Here is a smaller boat that went up in minutes last August in Lake Erie.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fire_zpscf32f2fa.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	36.1 KB
ID:	56953