Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-21-2014, 12:46 PM   #15

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
I am very sure Thor is using Dometic 'fridges in the A.C.E...and most of their RV's.

Safe travels.
Norcold in ours; however, it's not the incendiary model.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-21-2014, 03:18 PM   #16

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Another vote for the real McCoy (Mac McCoy the Fire Guy) when it comes to fire prevention and fighting.

The most common causes of fires are owner stupidity (Like falling asleep while smoking in bed kind of stupidity) Engine and Fridge fires, Electrical fires are in there somewhere but not all that common.

Engine fires are often due to poor maintenance

Fridge fires.. May be due to poor maintenance or.. Other causes.

There are other issues that can cause fires but you ask for the most common.
Old 01-21-2014, 03:59 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
I fully concur with Myredracer. Mac The Fire Guy is the GOTO guy for RV fire safety and also high quality fire suppression systems.

I have taken a number of precautions to minimize the risk of having a total loss fire. Being that the coach is R HOME, if it were to happen we would be homeless in less than 5 minutes.

I have an AFFF system for my diesel engine. I had a Halon in the rear of the Norcold which now lives above the Inverter inside that compartment which is the rear of the diesel fired Aqua-Hot unit. I also have another Halon in the Aqua-Hot compartment. Halon works great in small confined compartments.

I have a large Cold Fire extinguisher by the front entry door. I have three smaller Cold Fire extinguishers, one in the kitchen, one in the bedroom and one in my car.

I have three 10 year Smoke & Fire Alarms. One located in the Front Run Electrical Bay, one in the Battery Compartment, and one in the Kitchen/Hallway area.

There is a LPG detector alarm near the floor under the smoke alarm. There is a CO detector alarm in the bedroom mounted to the bottom of the overhead cabinets.

The rinky dink chemical fire extinguishers that come with the coach are good to have around when you BBQ just in case but they worthless for any fire inside or outside the coach.

Mac The Fire Guy web site.

My Business - Home

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Richard am I correct that the Halon when mounted in the compartment is heat or flame activated in the event of a fire in the compartment. Looking at the products available from Mac are the SS 30 Halon Vertical or Horizontal the ones you are using. Also what unit listed would compare to your AFFF system in the engine compartment. Thanks
adonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 04:12 PM   #18

Remember with Halon - It works by removing all the oxygen which kills the fire. Never use it in the cabin. It will remove all the oxygen from the air and you will suffocate.

I used to work in the marine industry. Automatic systems have been known to kill people working in engine rooms when it is accidentally triggered. The systems should be dis-armed whenever working on anything in the bays.
Fl_Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 04:19 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
I am very sure Thor is using Dometic 'fridges in the A.C.E...and most of their RV's.
Farmer Steve - I wouldn't feel safe with Norcold OR Dometic fridge; they both have fire problems. Residential refrig is the way to go IMHO.
danandcarol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 05:08 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by adonh View Post

Richard am I correct that the Halon when mounted in the compartment is heat or flame activated in the event of a fire in the compartment. Looking at the products available from Mac are the SS 30 Halon Vertical or Horizontal the ones you are using. Also what unit listed would compare to your AFFF system in the engine compartment. Thanks
Don,

Yes the SS-30 is the ones that I have. It triggers at 165F. I bought the original one when I had the NotSoCold fridge. When I removed the fridge and installed the Samsung, I moved the Halon to the Inverter compartment. Then I bought a brand new SS-30 Halon from a friend who had it and never installed it before ripping out the Norcold and installing the Samsung. I bought that one for $50, couldn't pass up the deal. I put that one in the Aqua-Hot compartment.

Halon works great in a very small confined area. It does NOT work so well in a large open air area even though one poster warned against using it INSIDE the coach. It would literally have NO effect in a large area as the amount of Halon in the SS-30 would not be enough to kill anyone even a mouse. If you have a super large tank of Halon then that would be a different story.

For my diesel engine I bought the SS-200R which is the 3 Liter with the remote hose and head. The only place I could mount the tank was nowhere's near where the head needed to be located so I have a hose that travels over to the remote head that is located over the fuel pump and fuel injectors.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 05:32 PM   #21

Thanks Richard very good information.
Old 01-21-2014, 05:36 PM   #22

Excape

Another question. The rear drivers side window in the bedroom is the designated escape window. OK, how do you get out of the coach through that window without breaking your neck. Pretty god drop to the ground and the window is only about 25" high. Now the ladder on the back of the coach has a section that looks like it would fit over the edge of the window outside, but we are inside, how does that work.

Thanks
Old 01-21-2014, 06:04 PM   #23

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Norcold VS residential

FWIW our GE Profile burned a hole in it's motherboard twice in less than a year before we got rid of it, and certain models of virtually every brand residential have been know to catch fire. Samsung included. Google 'refrigerator relay fires' and see for,yourself. Not to mention the risk involved in having additional batteries and an inverter powerful enough to run the refer.

How come nobody puts a smoke detector behind the refer?
Muddypaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 06:38 PM   #24

you can look up to see what been on fire befor and see where some of the RVs are that where not so .. good job on making them

<<< see pic on side

most of the time your safe as long as your not the type to edit every thing you see in less you know what you are doing and then the ones that do know what there doing still well cut cost on wiring sizing and loads

but funny thing is us guys that go nuts over looking for the fire/smoke well never have it happen or find it

i did a lot of editing in some of the high risk zones to give more time if there ever is one

like my frig is now in a still box with a fire wall all the way up to the roof to give a few more mins to get out if that should have happen

but really not every fire is made by the RV so you have to keep that in mind too
as my RV was some one getting out of the payment plan
terry735001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 06:53 PM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
Don,

Basically, you need a support pole to keep the Emergency Egress Window open and one of these collapsible RV escape ladders.

RV Escape Ladder motorhome Escape Ladder Telescopic Escape Ladder | eBay

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 09:29 PM   #26

One cause of fires in travel and fifth wheel trailers I was surprised to hear about was overheating wheel bearings, overheating brakes and under-inflated tires.
myredracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 01:50 AM   #27

RV FIRE CAUSED BY WIRING not sure

My RV WIRING IN 1994 Holiday Rambler literally caught on fire in the diesel. As some may know the bed is above the engine. Likely 1 I was awake and 2 I put it out. Unfortunately not to hijack this post but Allied Nationwide WILL NOT pay for any repairs to wiring. You can click on my info a probably find out more but know this. READ POLICY CAREFULLY. Also they do NOT cover rodent damage.
READ YOUR POLICY CAREFULLY. Think if you have an electrical fire. My claim is going to an Attorney and the Ohio Insurance Commission but my RV is out of commission.
JEFFOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 05:15 AM   #28

DR4Film. Thanks for the fire equip list. Will soon be buying my first Class A, and want to oufit it just like yours. As an ex submariner and ex coal miner, fire is my worst fear. Almost paranoid about it. Off topic, but did you ever get the Ultra Tuff on your roof. PM me with details, I'm very curious how it went. Thanks
Mike_Harriet is offline   Reply With Quote