Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-21-2014, 08:24 AM   #1

Mid Atlantic Campers
Fire!!

Hi Folks, no not me since we are buying our first RV next week a (ACE 29.2). Yesterday I passed a very new looking RV class A on a wrecker that was totally burned out from fire. Would not have paid attention in the past but now it hits close to home!
I wonder if anyone has tips on prevention and statistics on the most likely causes of RV fire? Sitting and sleeping on top of propane and gas tanks are not a comforting thing to think about. I'm sure it's rare...right?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-21-2014, 08:28 AM   #2

Pretty uncommon. Keep working smoke, CO, and LP detectors. You would not believe the number of LP detectors I see that people have just cut wires to because it was beeping.
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 08:28 AM   #3
Community Administrator

A search of Norcold fires will be telling.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 08:56 AM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Check with the NFPA (national fire protection association) They keep stats on all kinds of fires.
pumper9x9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 09:01 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Your FIRST PURCHASE for your new RV should be extra fire extinguishers. Our Coach is a 45 footer, with extinguishers forward, amid ship and aft!
Old 01-21-2014, 09:06 AM   #6

Excel Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Portable heaters followed by cooking accidents cause most structure fires. Could be similar for RVs. Then of course the dreaded Norcold posibility. Get 2 good ABC fire extinguishers and keep one in the bedroom. Test all of your detectors monthly and have at least 2 smoke detectors. One ionization type and one photocell type. Have and practice an escape plan at night in the dark from bed. Can you really get out that window?
chief02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 09:09 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Always know how to get out!

No matter where you find yourself . . . your home, another's home, motel/hotel, RV, anywhere . . . and get all in your family to do the same . . .

ALWAYS KNOW HOW TO GET OUT! ALWAYS KNOW ALL OF YOUR OPTIONS!

... doors, windows, emergency exits, stairways, etc., etc., etc.

I always act as though my life depends on it.
SeeTheUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 09:19 AM   #8

Maybe not as rare as you would think. According to this RV.net blog, there are 6,300 RV fires a year (as of 2011) from NFPA statisitics and deaths from RV fires is estimated to be 5-20 per year.RV Fire Safety

Interesting 2007 RV fire investigation article: http://cjbfire.com/ManSample.pdf
Besides fridges, other suspected causes are electrical, rodent damage and owner installed aftermarket accessories.

List of RV fire facts by Mac The Fire Guy and also a short vid on causes of RV fires.
http://macthefireguy.com/articles/34...save_your_life
myredracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 09:35 AM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by chief02 View Post
Portable heaters followed by cooking accidents cause most structure fires. Could be similar for RVs. Then of course the dreaded Norcold posibility. Get 2 good ABC fire extinguishers and keep one in the bedroom. Test all of your detectors monthly and have at least 2 smoke detectors. One ionization type and one photocell type. Have and practice an escape plan at night in the dark from bed. Can you really get out that window?
What Bill said all the way! My new 38 foot coach came with just 1 smoke detector, mounted above the front passenger seat. I immediately added another in the kitchen and a combination smoke/carbon monoxide in the bedroom. The one small extinguisher at the door was replaced by 3 larger ones: entrance door, kitchen and bedroom. We tried the escape window in the bedroom and found that we could step through and get on to the outside ladder.
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2018 Honda CRV . Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 09:40 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I own a 34' Bounder and have not been out in it yet but the first new items I bought were new extinguishers and detectors. I have the extinguishers by both of my doors, one forward and one in the bedroom by that door. Everyone should understand that the small extinguishers will not put out a large fire! These are made for small fires and/or to knock the fire back enough to get out. Anyone who stands fire extinguisher in hand and fights a fire in the cabin of their RV is saying their life is not worth the price of the RV. I will knock a fire down and get out. They will make more RVs.
Old 01-21-2014, 11:44 AM   #11

Mid Atlantic Campers
Does Thor ACE use Norcold? Probably shouldn't have goggled Norcold fire.
Old 01-21-2014, 11:47 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer Steve View Post
I think it depends now on when the RV was built. We went to the big RVIA show in SoCal and every single DP we went into had a huge residential fridge in them. We did not go into anything but DP so not sure if it's just DP that they have put residential in.
Old 01-21-2014, 11:57 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer Steve View Post
I am very sure Thor is using Dometic 'fridges in the A.C.E...and most of their RV's.

Safe travels.
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 12:33 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
I fully concur with Myredracer. Mac The Fire Guy is the GOTO guy for RV fire safety and also high quality fire suppression systems.

I have taken a number of precautions to minimize the risk of having a total loss fire. Being that the coach is R HOME, if it were to happen we would be homeless in less than 5 minutes.

I have an AFFF system for my diesel engine. I had a Halon in the rear of the Norcold which now lives above the Inverter inside that compartment which is the rear of the diesel fired Aqua-Hot unit. I also have another Halon in the Aqua-Hot compartment. Halon works great in small confined compartments.

I have a large Cold Fire extinguisher by the front entry door. I have three smaller Cold Fire extinguishers, one in the kitchen, one in the bedroom and one in my car.

I have three 10 year Smoke & Fire Alarms. One located in the Front Run Electrical Bay, one in the Battery Compartment, and one in the Kitchen/Hallway area.

There is a LPG detector alarm near the floor under the smoke alarm. There is a CO detector alarm in the bedroom mounted to the bottom of the overhead cabinets.

The rinky dink chemical fire extinguishers that come with the coach are good to have around when you BBQ just in case but they worthless for any fire inside or outside the coach.

Mac The Fire Guy web site.

My Business - Home

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote