Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-21-2016, 07:21 PM   #1

Fire Extinguisher Mount area

I'm changing out our Fire Extinguishers and also wanting to put one back in the master bedroom area. I took 2 photos and joined them together the best I could to show the area I'd like to put it. Where you see DW holding it is the bedroom slide wall. As you can see there is an electrical outlet below, and speakers & lights above which are mounted below the overhead cabinets. We have looked for other places that might work, but in an emergency, and especially if we're asleep, this is the best place.

I'm assuming (but that's I'm posting here) that the wiring for the outlet comes from underneath, down below in the chassis area where all the harnesses are. But then there's the wiring for the overhead speakers & lights and don't know where that wiring is run from. I looked everywhere and no signs. They've hid their route very well.

Where you see DW holding the extinguisher, that wall (which again is the slide wall) is very solid when you knock on it. The wall to the left sounds more hollow and not nearly as stable.

My question is:
Do you think it's safe to mount the fire extinguisher bracket on the wall with 2 screws where you see DW holding it without hitting any wires?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fire-extinguisher.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	32.8 KB
ID:	142201  
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-21-2016, 07:27 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Pull the outlet out and see if you can determine direction of wiring. Chances are the wiring comes in from the bottom.

In the overhead cabinets there is usually a false bottom that provides enough room for running wires and mounting lights and outlets. In mine I can prior the bottom up.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 07:58 PM   #3

I knew I should of mentioned that in my post. I was going to do exactly that...pull the elec. cover. But, I couldn't even determine how to do that. The wooden back trim plate is fastened somehow to the wall. The electrical outlet is fixed in the wooden plate too. It's not like at your house, where you undo that 1 screw on the face plate and everything is exposed. I was afraid to prey anything cause I'm not familiar of how these things are fastened and I didn't want to break something and cause more problems.

Yeah, I figure those overhead cabinets had a false bottom but I don't know where the wires come from that are feed through that cavity.
Old 10-21-2016, 08:41 PM   #4

I went with a 5lb extinguisher under the end of the bed. I don't have a lot of faith in the small extinguisher and decided on the fiver.
Old 10-21-2016, 08:43 PM   #5

Was supposed to be a photo with that post....

It glides along the carpet nicely when moving the slide.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0391.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	350.9 KB
ID:	142214  
Old 10-22-2016, 04:53 AM   #6

marjoa-

On our coach, the screwless outlet trim plates just snap into the outlet, and can be pried off gently using a small flat-bladed screwdriver. The retaining pins are in the center, above and below the outlet.

When I worked on two outlets recently, one came off the wall easily- it's screws went through just the wallboard. The other was taking a lot more effort to unscrew, so I put the screws back in, as I was just trying to determine the wiring routes in and out of the outlet and figured out I didn't need to know that at the possible expense of having an outlet I could not put back into the wall.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 05:22 AM   #7

I agree with Dennis45. Mount a 5 lb near the bedroom door on the floor so you can grab it on your way out. Also available in the back of the rv if your not in bed.

Cosco has 5# refillable extinguishers for $26 after rebate.

good luck

pointrow
Old 10-22-2016, 10:25 AM   #8

If possible, it's a good idea to mount your fire extinguisher in a horizontal position rather than a vertical position. As you drive your RV (or any other vehicle) each bump on the road will pack the dry powder chemical in the extinguisher down on the bottom of the cylinder. Eventually the powder will be so tightly packed down that when you discharge the extinguisher, you may not get much of the chemical agent to come out and it will be ineffective on the fire. If the extinguisher is mounted on it's side there will be a larger surface area of the powder to interact with the gas in the extinguisher.

Regardless of how the extinguisher is mounted, every six months or so you should take the extinguisher out of it's mount, turn it over, and wack it all around with a rubber mallet. That will loosen up the powder inside the cylinder.
AKJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 11:05 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
I didn't use screws, but heavy duty velcro. I put an extinguisher under the kitchen cabinet, in the bedroom clothes hamper, in the hang up clothes closet in the bathroom and in several storage compartments....all using HD Velcro.

Ron
lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 09:13 PM   #10
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I was looking for a spot in ours that was easily reachable, but didn't take away from the room by having a fire extinguisher in view.

On our coach, there is a dead area on the floor on both sides of the bed, near the head of the bed. We usually stuff our pillows there while making the bed. It mounts horizontally and screws right into the carpeted floor. While laying down, I can reach down and quickly release and retrieve the extinguisher.

We've gone over he routine in case of a fire......I grab the fire extinguisher while my wife opens the escape window and jumps out.....this way I have something soft to land on when I jump!
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 08:05 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis45 View Post
I went with a 5lb extinguisher under the end of the bed. I don't have a lot of faith in the small extinguisher and decided on the fiver.
Yeah the chemical ones are big and cheap but many times do more damage than a small fire outbreak especially inside (where you live) to furnishings, walls, flooring, electronics etc. They are very messy and are very hard to clean up after. The puppies I bought are H3R Performance HG100C HalGuard Chrome Clean Agent Fire Extinguishers and @ $132.00 a piece, I'm not going to 3 or 5 pounders. These babies will work fine and not trash all our stuff inside if we ever have to use them.

The tip on mounting horizontal to prevent packing is a great piece of info. Thank you for that so much. I did look at the foot of the bed to be more conspicuous but ruled that out. I think I'll revisit that.

Thanks everybody for your input.
Old 10-23-2016, 08:22 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
I keep a large power type extinguisher slide in between the bed and the side table. I can easily reach for it and pull it out in case of emergency. I usually turn it over a couple times a year to keep the powder loose. It is recommended that you actually turn it upside down and shake it annually to keep the powder loose.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 09:47 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
As Harry Callahan said, 'A man's got to know his limitations.'

Always keep in mind, In an RV or on a boat, any fire that looks like it needs an extinguisher will probably not be put out by a 2.5 Lb unit. The 2.5 pounder will likely just buy you an extra 10 seconds or so to get out.

John & Diane, fulltiming since '12 02 DS40, FL, Cat, '04 Element NHSO RVM103
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 10:27 PM   #14

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
A related point is your emergency escape windows. Over a period of time they become stuck to the frame. When I checked mine, sure enough they wouldn't budge. I used plenty of silicone spray and gave an hour or so work into the seals. After that I was able to carefully pry the window open. Cleanup the mess and now I operate these windows every few months to make sure I could use them if required.

Another point the emergency escape windows are heavy and they want to drag on your back while going out, etc. I cut a 3/4 wooden dowel the right length to hold each window open and secured this beside the windows with two spring loaded clips. I can grab one of these dowels and cram it into the window prior to the egress. Its good for everyone sleeping in an RV practices an emergency egress to understand how it works.

Between the truck and RV I carry a total of 8 fire extinguishers, located in many important spaces. These are a mix of dry chemical powder type (ABC) and the newer cool foaming agent based types. I have rigged one Halon unit in the RV's frig exhaust stacks. These are made for this purpose. Fires in this space are likely to be a fast spreading hydrogen fire. If you have a residential frig, then no issue. You can learn a lots about RV fire safety by reading HOME and other blogs from searching for RV fire safety.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
rarebear.nm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fire