Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-19-2016, 06:24 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooligan View Post
Sorry for your loss, that's tough. Hope you find a lawyer to help you.

In this day and age, I think you are wise not to go into too much detail on a public forum until you actually consult with a lawyer.

Good luck in your search.
Thank you, that is part of the reason I haven't given more information out at this point. I didn't just say one day ok I am going to try and sue someone.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-19-2016, 06:34 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrv8outboard View Post
I am sorry for your loss. We are glad you are okay and the RV can be replaced. I can not help with a lawyer. This tragedy sheds light on the fact traveling with cash and or important documents one should have at least a fire resistant lock box or fire resistant safe. Well wishes and glad you are okay.
Word of advice, buy the very very best fire box, because we had one, a VERY good one, it actually melted. The engineer that is involved said he didn't know if the best of the best would have survived this type of fire. I pray no one ever experiences what we have with this fire. Thank you.
Old 03-19-2016, 07:11 AM   #31

FWIW I think you mis understand where a lot of us are coming from. We are sorry you had a loss. OTOH we also understand that there has to be a negligent party to recover from. The fact you had a loss does not itself make someone else responsible.

A case in point is that your firebox was probably rated for so much time in a wood fueled structure fire not for being immersed in a petroleum fueled fire that is much hotter and for a long time. That would presumably get the box manufacturer off the hook. (That is also something a lot of other folks here should be keeping in mind.)
Old 03-19-2016, 07:16 AM   #32

Monaco Owners Club
sorry for your loss, and hope you get things back together.........I guess the rule of thumb here is, "don't put all your eggs in one basket"...........while I also have a "safe" that I store stuff in, I do it so things don't get stolen.....with a fire, all bets are off.........you should only carry valuables (cash, jewelery, etc) that you can afford to lose..........even if you are a full timer, you can have accounts at secure financial institutions that will protect you................good luck
Old 03-19-2016, 07:33 AM   #33

Damon Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenna View Post
Word of advice, buy the very very best fire box, because we had one, a VERY good one, it actually melted. The engineer that is involved said he didn't know if the best of the best would have survived this type of fire. I pray no one ever experiences what we have with this fire. Thank you.
The best fire safe are only good for 1550 deg. for 30 minutes paper starts to char at around 350 deg. burst into flames around 450. A fire in a motor home will exceed this temp in matter of minutes. This will lower the rating of the fire safe as ambient temperature increases above 1550. The word of advice here for others is to keep the impotent papers in a safety deposit box at the bank along with your money.
Old 03-19-2016, 04:17 PM   #34

I don't think anyone has put you down. We have told you things you do not want to hear. Maybe tough love but most of us see it as more useful to you than commiserating then walking away shaking our heads. In essence we have pointed out how to find an attorney but warned you not to have much hope of recovering anything from your experience unless you can come up with proof of significant negligence on someone's part. You will also need to prove that what you say was there was indeed there.
Old 03-19-2016, 05:08 PM   #35

This tragedy sheds light on the fact traveling with cash and or important documents one should have at least a fire resistant lock box or fire resistant safe.

Unfortunately, few of these fire resistant safes will withstand the temperature intensity of a fully involved RV fire. I learned this from Mac the Fireguy. With some home fires ranging in temperatures from 1,200-1,800 degrees, an RV fire can reach temperatures of 2,300 degrees.
Old 03-19-2016, 06:15 PM   #36

Brenna, my sympathies to you and yours. Horrible loss, including a loved pet. So far, it doesn't sound like anyone knows a lawyer in the area you mention that they can recommend. Beyond the settlement from your insurance, do you feel the person/dealer you bought the RV from is negligent to the point they contributed to the fire?
Old 03-19-2016, 09:03 PM   #37

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike and Cha View Post
Sorry for your loss, some have given you good advice. A good lawyer is not always the guy who is overly aggressive, or the loudest guy in the court room. Look for one who is ethical and respected by other Attorneys as well as the judges. Those are the ones that will tell you where you really stand and won't give you any false expectations, which in the long run will help you to get this resolved. Until you get an Attorney I would recommend that you document everything from the time of purchase to the time of your loss, put together any receipts you have or emails you have exchanged with anyone involved, including your insurance company, so that your are prepared to present this to an Attorney in a concise manner, without the emotional part that goes with it. The facts will really be the only thing that matters. Like said in prior posts I would share very little details with anyone prior to speaking to an Attorney.

You said "ethical" and "lawyer" in the same sentence . That is a non-sequitur. They are mutually exclusive.

Cheers
Old 03-21-2016, 08:23 AM   #38

I would think any large personal injury law firm would be able to handle this case. If a law suit is viable and worthy they have the resources, aka money, to learn all that would be needed to get up to speed on the RV industry as a whole. Again, I'd resource the local bar association for a referral.
Old 03-22-2016, 06:18 AM   #39

I am an RVing lawyer, but not in PA or NY. You will need one there. My question is, if you had insurance why are you bothering with this? Insurance has a right of subrogation, meaning they can sue for recovery if they choose to. Questions will be is it enough money to warrant a suit and is there a responsible party to sue.
Old 03-22-2016, 06:43 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbleiweiss View Post
I am an RVing lawyer, but not in PA or NY. You will need one there. My question is, if you had insurance why are you bothering with this? Insurance has a right of subrogation, meaning they can sue for recovery if they choose to. Questions will be is it enough money to warrant a suit and is there a responsible party to sue.
Brenna, sorry for your loss and the anguish you must be going through.

The quoted post is very informative. If the insurance company suggested you contact a lawyer, it's because they want to reduce their potential payout.

I also encourage you to think hard about taking the lawsuit route. It will likely drag out for a year or more, you may have to front $ to an attorney, you'll have to appear in court (which can be stressful for some), and there's no guarantee you will win the lawsuit.
Your alternative is to pay your insurance deductible and move on from the incident within a few months. So please, I encourage you to weigh your options carefully.

Best of luck,
Jerome
Old 03-23-2016, 06:04 AM   #41

I suspect the sticking point is proving whatever he lost in the document box.
Old 03-23-2016, 08:21 PM   #42

Might this be your incident? Woman rescued from burning RV - News - poconorecord.com - Stroudsburg, PA
Closed Thread

Tags
class a, georgie boy, fire