Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-18-2016, 07:50 AM   #15

Was the cause of the fire officially determined? By a fire Marshall for instance. If there is no credible determination of cause, it would be difficult to impossible for a court to award any "damages". So sorry for the losses you've experienced. Very tough.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-18-2016, 08:10 AM   #16

I would call the county you live in Bar Association. Most are very very helpful in steering folks in the right direction on who can help them the best with their situation. I live in Erie County, NY and our Bar Assoc. helped a family I know deal with an estate issue with a lawyer who spoke Polish because the elderly lady in need of help spoke very poor English. Sorry about your situation. I do wonder why your insurance company is not doing more for you, or are they going to quickly write a check for the value of your RV.
Old 03-18-2016, 11:04 AM   #17

Freightliner Owners Club
Sorry for your loss, that's tough. Hope you find a lawyer to help you.

In this day and age, I think you are wise not to go into too much detail on a public forum until you actually consult with a lawyer.

Good luck in your search.
Old 03-18-2016, 11:24 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooligan View Post
Sorry for your loss, that's tough. Hope you find a lawyer to help you.

In this day and age, I think you are wise not to go into too much detail on a public forum until you actually consult with a lawyer.

Good luck in your search.
Agree with the above post. Sorry for your loss and glad you made it out safe. Best of luck moving forward.
Old 03-18-2016, 12:04 PM   #19

Sorry for your loss, some have given you good advice. A good lawyer is not always the guy who is overly aggressive, or the loudest guy in the court room. Look for one who is ethical and respected by other Attorneys as well as the judges. Those are the ones that will tell you where you really stand and won't give you any false expectations, which in the long run will help you to get this resolved. Until you get an Attorney I would recommend that you document everything from the time of purchase to the time of your loss, put together any receipts you have or emails you have exchanged with anyone involved, including your insurance company, so that your are prepared to present this to an Attorney in a concise manner, without the emotional part that goes with it. The facts will really be the only thing that matters. Like said in prior posts I would share very little details with anyone prior to speaking to an Attorney.
Old 03-18-2016, 01:03 PM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Sorry this is happening to you and for your loss. The above post from Mike and Cha provides excellent advise. I would also suggest that you preserve (not sure how) the remains of the coach until your attorney advises otherwise. Just to let you know, if your savings was in the form of cash, and that cash was mutilated in the fire it can still be possibly replaced-- see U.S. Bureau of Engraving and Printing - Redeem Mutilated Currency .

Mike
2012 DSDP 3734
Old 03-18-2016, 03:41 PM   #21

Appalachian Campers
Send a message via Yahoo to W4RLR
Not wanting to sound snarky. But why is it you feel you have to sue somebody over an event that may just come down to pure bad luck?

As for your life savings being burned to a crisp, I would ask why your life savings was not in a bank. At least if the bank goes under, your savings are insured. Keeping a large amount of cash in the RV was not wise. And you will have a very tough time getting someone to reimburse you for savings that only you knew the true value of.

I am sorry for your loss, but it seems that when things go wrong in today's world, the first thing people want to do is look for someone to take the blame. There may be no one to blame in this instance. The reason a lot of things cost more than they should is due to the litigious society we have become.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 03-18-2016, 06:06 PM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Sorry for your loss.
I'm just wondering what you look to recover. If you have insurance to cover the RV pay the deductible and find another. The cash savings is most likely gone, if you had a safe the remains might be recoverable by the treasury department. If the Norcold failed AND you had the recalls done you MIGHT have a case. Or if you can prove not think someone was negligent again you might have a case. And when in court the other side can make you look like you owe them money. JUST MY THOUGHTS!

LEN
Old 03-18-2016, 07:05 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by W4RLR View Post
Not wanting to sound snarky. But why is it you feel you have to sue somebody over an event that may just come down to pure bad luck?

As for your life savings being burned to a crisp, I would ask why your life savings was not in a bank. At least if the bank goes under, your savings are insured. Keeping a large amount of cash in the RV was not wise. And you will have a very tough time getting someone to reimburse you for savings that only you knew the true value of.

I am sorry for your loss, but it seems that when things go wrong in today's world, the first thing people want to do is look for someone to take the blame. There may be no one to blame in this instance. The reason a lot of things cost more than they should is due to the litigious society we have become.
^this. If you don't trust banks, why cash? Cash is biodegradable, gold, platinum, silver, etc is not. Proving to an insurance company that the cash burned up is going to be impossible. Metals would melt, then reform and be recoverable in almost all cases.
Old 03-18-2016, 10:35 PM   #24

I think everyone should cut this guy some slack. He almost lost his life in an RV fire and did lose his pet. That's a pretty traumatic event. We are sitting in the comforts of our home or RV making judgements. Not saying those judgements are right or wrong just not needed IMO. He asked if anyone knew a good lawyer. That's a reasonable thought when a fire occurs and you want some help bringing clarity to the situation in the event there was negligence by someone other than himself. Sounds like he is new to RV's and could use some help determining what happened and his options. Just saying.
Old 03-18-2016, 11:04 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by noserider View Post
I think everyone should cut this guy some slack. He almost lost his life in an RV fire and did lose his pet. That's a pretty traumatic event. We are sitting in the comforts of our home or RV making judgements. Not saying those judgements are right or wrong just not needed IMO. He asked if anyone knew a good lawyer. That's a reasonable thought when a fire occurs and you want some help bringing clarity to the situation in the event there was negligence by someone other than himself. Sounds like he is new to RV's and could use some help determining what happened and his options. Just saying.
X2....You never know what a person is dealing with until you have to live in their shoes. I'm sure they feel bad enough and don't need people telling them what they should have done before the fire(they didn't ask for that). I'm sure if anybody had an issue like this where negligence may have cost them to have to deal with this, they wouldn't just say "oh well I'll let insurance handle it" and take whatever the insurance company would give them. I am against any type of frivolous lawsuit, but people jump to that conclusion without the whole story.
Old 03-19-2016, 05:32 AM   #26

Having worked for a property and casualty company for 40 years, if they are in fact behind you, let them reimburse you for your loss and you will then sign over (proof of loss) your claim and they will pursue subrogation for their payment. They will usually include any out of pocket loss not covered by insurance. If needed they will in fact file the matter before the courts for recovery.

Good luck.
Old 03-19-2016, 06:00 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrv8outboard View Post
I am sorry for your loss. We are glad you are okay and the RV can be replaced. I can not help with a lawyer. This tragedy sheds light on the fact traveling with cash and or important documents one should have at least a fire resistant lock box or fire resistant safe. Well wishes and glad you are okay.
Just so you know we had a very very good fire box that they money and stuff was in. Everything melted! There is so much to our story, I just really thought I might find some good advice here. I am not a sue happy person either. I am blown away at some of the other comments. I would have thought an RV community would have helped and be more understanding. Again I wasn't looking for sympathy either, I was truly asking for advice only, not to be picked apart. Thank you to you that have been so kind with your words.
Old 03-19-2016, 06:13 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCFROMFL View Post
Having worked for a property and casualty company for 40 years, if they are in fact behind you, let them reimburse you for your loss and you will then sign over (proof of loss) your claim and they will pursue subrogation for their payment. They will usually include any out of pocket loss not covered by insurance. If needed they will in fact file the matter before the courts for recovery.

Good luck.
Thank you. Actually the reason for the lawyer is by recommendation of our insurance company. They don't cover our out of pocket loss. I wish I had a day to explain this fire to everyone, but I do not. Like I keep saying, I just turned to this RV forum looking for help. I didn't think I would be judged so harshly, I have so much on my plate already I only thought, well who better to go to than other RV owners. We are actually past the part of an engineer already investigating. Thank you again to those of you who have posted kind words.
Closed Thread

Tags
class a, georgie boy, fire