Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-05-2013, 04:48 PM   #15

No way to actually know until you have it checked out. My guess would be the transfer switch went bad, inverter fed into power cord. Power cord shorted one of the legs to chassis ground.
Happy that you are safe, if it isn't one thing, it's another.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-05-2013, 04:58 PM   #16

Thanks. It's always something. I just spent $1300 on several repairs including a new fuel pump.

Liz
Old 11-07-2013, 11:59 AM   #17

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Overland Owners Club
Please let us know what they find. That is kind of scary, having an electrical short/overheat in your power cord when you are not plugged in....
Owners of: www.tvformyrv.com
TVforMyRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 11:22 PM   #18

I will post what they find out. It's in the shop.

Liz

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20131108_012201.png
Views:	464
Size:	654.2 KB
ID:	49434
Old 11-07-2013, 11:37 PM   #19

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I'm going to be watching this one! We have a 2002 4090 so they're kind of close although I see differences in the compartment layout and don't have the surge guard.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 11:39 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The word "LUCKY" comes to mind....
Old 11-07-2013, 11:51 PM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
How many fire extinguishers do you carry? I carry five spread around the coach bays and in the toad.
The RVIA approved fire extinguisher that comes with the coach is sad. Your extinguisher is about 12 years old.
I'd suggest a couple more fire extinguishers.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 01:36 AM   #22

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I also am curious what caused this problem. I do not imagine what could have caused the power cord to melt unless like the previous poster speculated the inverter somehow fed ac power back to the cord.

You can buy battery powered smoke detectors that link to each other. When any one of them go off they trip the alarm on all of them. I recommend those types of smoke detectors in the underneath storage area and the electrical connection area for just this reason. If the fire would have spread you would not have known it until too late. If the alarm activates you can get to the side of the road and investigate possibly putting it out while that option was available.
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 04:32 PM   #23

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Stayed there in 2009 they had to change a breaker at my site. When was the surge protector installed? How many camp sites stayed at since installed? Please keep us posted.
Old 11-08-2013, 05:49 PM   #24

Have them check your batteries and battery cables. It takes ALOT of current to melt these cables.
jdr159 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 06:05 PM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LizCarmel View Post

I had a fire in my electrical compartment today. The 50-AMP cord melted and there is smoke damage into the coach.

I used a 30-AMP adapter to hook-up at the KOA Harpers Ferry, WV. I was there for 3 nights with no issues. I have a surge guard installed inside the electrical compartment.

I unhooked at the KOA this morning. Apart from the cord feeling warm, there was no damage to it when I put it into the compartment.

Thank you for your help.

Liz
Liz,

Your first clue to a problem was the cord feeling warm when you stored it into your compartment. The damage had already started internally and it continued.

You are very fortunate to have not had a large fire as a result.

Things to have checked are the Dog-Bone adapter, the 50 amp cord, the TRC Surge Protector and Transfer Switch.

There was obviously way too many amps being drawn through the shore power supply cable, etc.

You dodged a bullet this time. When using Dog-Bones always check them often for warmth and problems. Also, when using a 50 amp coach on a 30 amp shore power supply, pay VERY close attention to the amount of amps you are drawing at any given time.

If you have a Load Shedding device usually that will take care of the task for you.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 08:32 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by chief400 View Post
Stayed there in 2009 they had to change a breaker at my site. When was the surge protector installed? How many camp sites stayed at since installed? Please keep us posted.
The surge guard was installed in April. I've stayed at over 10 camp sites since then but never used the 30AMP adapter. I was trying to save a few bucks (I'm FT). Since I didn't need the AC I thought it would be ok. I did use the microwave and made popcorn in an airpoppet (not at the same time).

Liz
Old 11-09-2013, 08:35 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
How many fire extinguishers do you carry? I carry five spread around the coach bays and in the toad.
The RVIA approved fire extinguisher that comes with the coach is sad. Your extinguisher is about 12 years old.
I'd suggest a couple more fire extinguishers.
I carry 2 fire extinguishers.

To clarify, there was never an open fire. The power cord melted causing smoke damage but I never saw any flames.

Yes, I am very lucky.

Liz
Old 11-09-2013, 08:38 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post

Your first clue to a problem was the cord feeling warm when you stored it into your compartment. The damage had already started internally and it continued.

Things to have checked are the Dog-Bone adapter, the 50 amp cord, the TRC Surge Protector and Transfer Switch.

There was obviously way too many amps being drawn through the shore power supply cable, etc.

You dodged a bullet this time. When using Dog-Bones always check them often for warmth and problems.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Thank you. In retrospect I should have checked it out after unhooking when I first noticed the warm cord and smell.

Liz

Tags
electrical