Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 11-10-2013, 03:09 PM   #43
Senior Member
 
87Rockwood's Avatar
 
Vintage RV Owners Club
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Looking here and there.
Posts: 732
When the cord was put away "hot" and coiled up it just made a bad situation worst. All the heat was now in one area and melting started. If it had been left out in a straight line it would have cooled down. Then coil it up. Still have to find out why it got hot.....
__________________

__________________
87Rockwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-10-2013, 03:12 PM   #44
Senior Member
 
Winepress's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 574
Originally thought transfer switch was bad. But looking at photo 1, you can see the ground pin is melted away on the 50 amp plug. Also in photo 1 is some wire above the 50 amp plug. It looks fried, but cannot tell for sure because the top of photo is cut off. My "guess" is that wire was hot and came in contact with ground pin. Maybe a wire from the inverter, before the circuit panel breaker.
Interesting to follow the results of this mess. Glad no one was injured.
__________________

__________________
2018 Dutch Star 4369
Try to live up to your dogs opinion of you.
Winepress is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 04:33 PM   #45
Registered User
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Varies Depending on The Weather
Posts: 8,517
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winepress View Post

Originally thought transfer switch was bad. But looking at photo 1, you can see the ground pin is melted away on the 50 amp plug. Also in photo 1 is some wire above the 50 amp plug. It looks fried, but cannot tell for sure because the top of photo is cut off. My "guess" is that wire was hot and came in contact with ground pin. Maybe a wire from the inverter, before the circuit panel breaker.
Interesting to follow the results of this mess. Glad no one was injured.
Frankly, I don't see any 50 amp pins at all at they are still buried into the 30-50 amp Dog-Bone.

Liz will correct me if I state this wrong BUT her 50 amp shore cable was attached to a 30-50 amp Dog-Bone and it is still attached in the photos. In fact the middle of the Dog-Bone has been just about melted in two.

The entire shore cable was warm to the touch when she stowed it in her compartment as stated in her very first post. What we are viewing is the mess when she opened the compartment after smelling smoke.

I am hoping that she will have an answer early this week.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
__________________
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 05:21 PM   #46
Senior Member
 
Winepress's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 574
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
Frankly, I don't see any 50 amp pins at all at they are still buried into the 30-50 amp Dog-Bone.

Liz will correct me if I state this wrong BUT her 50 amp shore cable was attached to a 30-50 amp Dog-Bone and it is still attached in the photos. In fact the middle of the Dog-Bone has been just about melted in two.

The entire shore cable was warm to the touch when she stowed it in her compartment as stated in her very first post. What we are viewing is the mess when she opened the compartment after smelling smoke.

I am hoping that she will have an answer early this week.

Dr4Film ----- Richard


Hi Richard, Here are the melted pins I am referring to.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	img.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	183.8 KB
ID:	49604  
__________________
2018 Dutch Star 4369
Try to live up to your dogs opinion of you.
Winepress is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 05:26 PM   #47
Senior Member
 
Mr_D's Avatar
 
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Vancouver, WA
Posts: 28,512
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
I am having a hard time seeing any device in either photo that doesn't have a cover. Please help direct me to your observation.
Liz will correct me if I state this wrong BUT her 50 amp shore cable was attached to a 30-50 amp Dog-Bone and it is still attached in the photos. In fact the middle of the Dog-Bone has been just about melted in two.
Thanks!
There are two aluminum brackets, barely visible in the top of the picture, one to the right of the cord and one to the left in the OP's pictures. There is supposed to be a plastic panel covering that whole area like we have on ours. That's why I asked if the panel had been removed or did it melt. There are several relays and a connection block up there that carry full battery power all the time. Short across them and I think you'd get exactly what the OP has.



Also, her 50 amp plug is against the back wall and it's the one that melted
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SDC10686.JPG
Views:	115
Size:	592.4 KB
ID:	49608   Click image for larger version

Name:	SDC10687.JPG
Views:	119
Size:	588.4 KB
ID:	49609  

__________________
2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '14 CR-V
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 05:32 PM   #48
Registered User
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Varies Depending on The Weather
Posts: 8,517
Thank you for pointing that out!

You're absolutely correct however, now I am totally confused as there are TOO many connectors inside that compartment to make ANY sense out of what she has or used for her power connections.

I see a Dog-Bone in the middle of the photo that is melted in the middle so what that 50 amp connector is that's on the wall is now a mystery.

I guess we'll have to wait until we hear from Liz.

I appreciate the explanation and the arrows.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
__________________
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 05:37 PM   #49
Senior Member
 
palehorse89's Avatar


 
Newmar Owners Club
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 7,750
For all that is looking and investigating this take a look at the photo's again, I just went back and looked again, first thing that catches my eye is the 50 amp. plug is resting against the carpet on the rear wall, plug is melted and nothing happened to the carpet? zoom in on the cord rubber seal in the metal frame where the cord goes outside....... it is melted and you can see exactly where the cord was. If this cord had got hot enough to melt the entry cord seal why was it unpluged and coiled up and stored? The cord had to have been melting itself to melt and form a spot in the seal where the cord go outside..........Just look-in and thinking as everyone here is.
__________________
2000 Newmar MADP 4060, 350ISC, Spartan MM, IFS 2011 Jeep JK, M&G Braking, 2014 MTI 27' Hog Hauler, Wireless brake control, 2006Ultra & 1989 Springer
palehorse89 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 05:39 PM   #50
Senior Member
 
Pullin' Chocks's Avatar
 
New Horizons Owners Club
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 426
We are glad you are OK Liz. That is scary.
__________________
2013 New Horizons 37' Majestic, 2013 Ford F-450 Lariat
Full-time RV April 2013, Retired January 2014
Pullin' Chocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 05:47 PM   #51
Senior Member
 
adonh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Missouri City, TX
Posts: 1,306
Lets hope that who ever looks at this on Monday will take their time and try and see what caused this and not just start pulling stuff out and throwing it in a dumpster. Just repairing the damage alone does not fix what caused it in the first place.
__________________
Don
2003 Forest River Cardinal Platinum 37' 5th Wheel
1976 31' Airstream
adonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 06:02 PM   #52
Senior Member
 
Mr_D's Avatar
 
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Vancouver, WA
Posts: 28,512
Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
For all that is looking and investigating this take a look at the photo's again, I just went back and looked again, first thing that catches my eye is the 50 amp. plug is resting against the carpet on the rear wall, plug is melted and nothing happened to the carpet? zoom in on the cord rubber seal in the metal frame where the cord goes outside....... it is melted and you can see exactly where the cord was. If this cord had got hot enough to melt the entry cord seal why was it unpluged and coiled up and stored? The cord had to have been melting itself to melt and form a spot in the seal where the cord go outside..........Just look-in and thinking as everyone here is.
The smaller cord that melted is the cord for the block heater, you plug it into the brown plug in, it's controlled by a switch in the front overhead on ours.
__________________
2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '14 CR-V
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 06:13 PM   #53
Registered User
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Varies Depending on The Weather
Posts: 8,517
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post

There are two aluminum brackets, barely visible in the top of the picture, one to the right of the cord and one to the left in the OP's pictures. There is supposed to be a plastic panel covering that whole area like we have on ours. That's why I asked if the panel had been removed or did it melt. There are several relays and a connection block up there that carry full battery power all the time. Short across them and I think you'd get exactly what the OP has.

Also, her 50 amp plug is against the back wall and it's the one that melted.
Thank you! I now see exactly what you are referring to. Without having a similar coach it is difficult to know that a cover was supposed to be there.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
__________________
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 07:02 PM   #54
Senior Member
 
papaw.1's Avatar
 
Tiffin Owners Club
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: ALABAMA
Posts: 568
papaw.1

Hi Liz,
I am really glad you are OK.I know this is very unnerving.I have a 2011 Damon Daybreak and next week I have to have my Transfer Switch,Tv,Microwave,the motor for the steps,and Carbon monoxide replaced and all of this happened at different times.except the shore power quit working at home and thats when the RV tech checked and said it was a bad switch so I feel your pain.The only thing for me is I have the extended warranty.Good Luck And be Safe.
__________________
Billy & Millie (2013 Allegro 36 LA) USMC VET
2013 Hyundai GT, 08 Harley trike
Mastertow dolly/doxies Gracie & Special
papaw.1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 07:49 PM   #55
Senior Member
 
palehorse89's Avatar


 
Newmar Owners Club
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 7,750
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
The smaller cord that melted is the cord for the block heater, you plug it into the brown plug in, it's controlled by a switch in the front overhead on ours.
I never mentioned anything about the block heater cord, I have the same setup. As hot as the 50 amp. plug got to melt it like that one would think it would of done something to the carpet it is resting against.
__________________
2000 Newmar MADP 4060, 350ISC, Spartan MM, IFS 2011 Jeep JK, M&G Braking, 2014 MTI 27' Hog Hauler, Wireless brake control, 2006Ultra & 1989 Springer
palehorse89 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 07:51 PM   #56
Senior Member
 
Mr_D's Avatar
 
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Vancouver, WA
Posts: 28,512
Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
I never mentioned anything about the block heater cord, I have the same setup. As hot as the 50 amp. plug got to melt it like that one would think it would of done something to the carpet it is resting against.
I never said you did, "Winepress" mentioned it so I answered them.
__________________

__________________
2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '14 CR-V
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
electrical



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:15 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.