Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 11-10-2013, 07:56 PM   #57
Senior Member
 
palehorse89's Avatar


 
Newmar Owners Club
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 7,731
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
I never said you did, "Winepress" mentioned it so I answered them.
In post #52 you quoted me so it made me wonder.......ok
__________________

__________________
2000 Newmar MADP 4060, 350ISC, Spartan MM, IFS 2011 Jeep JK, M&G Braking, 2014 MTI 27' Hog Hauler, Wireless brake control, 2006Ultra & 1989 Springer
palehorse89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-10-2013, 08:11 PM   #58
Registered User
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Varies Depending on The Weather
Posts: 8,517
After looking at the photos one more time, the Dog-Bone doesn't look melted after all as I had stated earlier. It was deceiving at first but it's the 50 amp jacket that is melted over the Dog-Bone.

Sorry for the wrong observation.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
__________________

__________________
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 08:45 PM   #59
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 206
I really appreciate everyone's comments, observations, and sympathy. I will call the shop tomorrow and see what they say. I will keep the group posted.

Liz
__________________
Full-time since May 2013 in a 2002 Newmar Dutch Star DSDP 4095 / Pegasus
LizCarmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 08:47 PM   #60
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post

Thank you! I now see exactly what you are referring to. Without having a similar coach it is difficult to know that a cover was supposed to be there.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
I purchased the coach in April 2011. It did not have the cover mentioned.

Liz
__________________
Full-time since May 2013 in a 2002 Newmar Dutch Star DSDP 4095 / Pegasus
LizCarmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 07:02 AM   #61
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by LizCarmel View Post

I purchased the coach in April 2011. It did not have the cover mentioned.

Liz
Correction: April 2012
__________________
Full-time since May 2013 in a 2002 Newmar Dutch Star DSDP 4095 / Pegasus
LizCarmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 08:43 AM   #62
Senior Member
 
Iwillbeit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Brooksville FL
Posts: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
Hi Randy, I am reading and wondering how the 12VDC can backfeed into the 120VAC system and do this damage?
I don't know exactly. However, the inverter has a 12 dc volt input and a 110 ac output. I have seen one that burned and had 12 volts on the 110 ac side. I can't explain why the built in fuse / breaker system didn't trip, but when it burns a lot of times the contacts arch and weld themselves together. Liz said the generator was not running and she had already unplugged from the campground. The only power source left in that RV strong enough to fry that cord is the house batteries. The only way power gets to the cord is through the inverter and transfer switch IMHO. The pictures tell me the cord burned from the inside and was live. All this is only my educated or (un-educated) guess. I have only been wrong twice in the past. The first time was when I married the first wife and the second time was waiting so long to get divorced ..lol! Anyway I am interested to see what Liz reports back on this. I bet they replace the inverter-converter, transfer switch, and probably the house batteries if they drained all the way down while being shorted and the obvious burned items.

Randy
__________________
Iwillbeit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 09:13 AM   #63
Registered User
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Varies Depending on The Weather
Posts: 8,517
Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post

Hi Randy, I am reading and wondering how the 12VDC can backfeed into the 120VAC system and do this damage?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwillbeit View Post

I don't know exactly. However, the inverter has a 12 dc volt input and a 110 ac output. I have seen one that burned and had 12 volts on the 110 ac side. I can't explain why the built in fuse / breaker system didn't trip, but when it burns a lot of times the contacts arch and weld themselves together. Liz said the generator was not running and she had already unplugged from the campground. The only power source left in that RV strong enough to fry that cord is the house batteries. The only way power gets to the cord is through the inverter and transfer switch IMHO. The pictures tell me the cord burned from the inside and was live. All this is only my educated or (un-educated) guess. Anyway I am interested to see what Liz reports back on this. I bet they replace the inverter-converter, transfer switch, and probably the house batteries if they drained all the way down while being shorted and the obvious burned items.

Randy
The only way for that specific scenario to happen is for the Inverter Transfer switch to malfunction inside the inverter.

I have a Xantrex Trace RV-2012 Inverter that passes through 120 VAC to the coach when hooked to shore power or generator power. However, when neither are active the transfer switch inside the inverter switches over to inverted power within 16 ms so it is essentially seamless.

I have also attached a schematic of the way it is all hooked together.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Trace RV-2012 Schematic.pdf (305.6 KB, 18 views)
__________________
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 09:39 AM   #64
Senior Member
 
Winepress's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 574
Mr D poster referenced a plastic cover that was missing. Liz confirmed this. My new " guess " is to go with what Mr D said. I believe the ground pin came in contact with a 12 v source. In Mr D's photo, there is a large wire connected to a solenoid. That certainly could provide the current necessary to do the damage as the path to ground. If so, transfer switch and inverter are probably ok.
Thanks Mr D for taking the time to remove your cover and take the photo.
__________________
2018 Dutch Star 4369
Try to live up to your dogs opinion of you.
Winepress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 11:18 AM   #65
Senior Member
 
wa8yxm's Avatar
 
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 22,792
Someone said the ground pin area on the 50 amp plug.

You can not even see the pins on the 50 amp plug as the dogbone is still connected to it. So no that's not the issue.

I think this problem started before you unplugged, Once you unplugged, without the generator or an inverter running there is absolutly NOTHING that should cause the wire to heat up... I think it started before you unpluged, Smoldered, caught fire and self-extinguished when it could not breathe (Get oxygen) as fires often do when inside an enclosed box.
__________________
Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 11:46 AM   #66
Senior Member
 
Winepress's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 574
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
Someone said the ground pin area on the 50 amp plug.

You can not even see the pins on the 50 amp plug as the dogbone is still connected to it. So no that's not the issue.

I think this problem started before you unplugged, Once you unplugged, without the generator or an inverter running there is absolutly NOTHING that should cause the wire to heat up... I think it started before you unpluged, Smoldered, caught fire and self-extinguished when it could not breathe (Get oxygen) as fires often do when inside an enclosed box.
I thought so to, but if you look at this photo, you will see the melted ground pin.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	img.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	183.8 KB
ID:	49704  
__________________
2018 Dutch Star 4369
Try to live up to your dogs opinion of you.
Winepress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 01:01 PM   #67
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Rochester, MN, USA
Posts: 345
This is a fascinating thread. Since MR_D's sharp eyes noticed the cover missing from the bird it made some sense. If the ground plug on the 50 amp cable came in contact with the heavy duty cable connection in the bird (which appears to have occurred) it would not be capable of conducting the current from the 12 volt cable and the melting makes sense. It would surprise me if either the house batteries or starting batteries have not been discharged.
It seems that the bird cover should have a more secure cover than the flimsy plate secured with velcro!

Have a nice day - Darrel
__________________
2007 3912 KSDP w/350HP ISL Cummins
2003 Grand Cherokee toad w/M&G Brake
Darrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 01:47 PM   #68
Senior Member
 
Mr_D's Avatar
 
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Vancouver, WA
Posts: 28,423
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrel View Post
It seems that the bird cover should have a more secure cover than the flimsy plate secured with velcro!
The cover is not really "flimsy", pretty close to 3/32" thick and held by two " strips of velcro it's full length on both sides. It's not a ridgid piece either, kind of like Tupperware plastic. In 11 years ours has never come lose and takes a hard pull to remove.
OP says it wasn't there when she bought the rig in April 2012. Someone removed it at some point, probably to put in the surge suppressor.
Would be interesting for the OP to have taken and posted a picture of the portion of the compartment above what she earlier posted so we could see if something there shows signs of burns or melting.
__________________
2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '14 CR-V
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 02:09 PM   #69
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 206
The problem began when the coach was plugged in as the opening through which the cord runs in order to close the compartment door was melted.

I have a call into the Harpers Ferry KOA.

I have not yet received the shop's full estimate. I spoke to Mark this morning. He said he does not know what caused the problem and has never seen anything like it.

Liz
__________________
Full-time since May 2013 in a 2002 Newmar Dutch Star DSDP 4095 / Pegasus
LizCarmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 02:11 PM   #70
Senior Member
 
Mr_D's Avatar
 
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Vancouver, WA
Posts: 28,423
Quote:
Originally Posted by LizCarmel View Post
The problem began when the coach was plugged in as the opening through which the cord runs in order to close the compartment door was melted.

I have a call into the Harpers Ferry KOA.

I have not yet received the shop's full estimate. I spoke to Mark this morning. He said he does not know what caused the problem and has never seen anything like it.

Liz
Ahh.... more info to mull over!

Sooo..... The cord melted the rubber gasket in the door frame, while hooked up to shore power. That takes a lot of heat and removes my thoughts about it being caused by the missing cover.

In my 55+ years of RV'ing I've never seen anything like it either!
__________________

__________________
2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '14 CR-V
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
electrical



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:14 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.