Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-11-2013, 02:13 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
OP says it wasn't there when she bought the rig in April 2012. Someone removed it at some point, probably to put in the surge suppressor.
Would be interesting for the OP to have taken and posted a picture of the portion of the compartment above what she earlier posted so we could see if something there shows signs of burns or melting.
Camping World installed the surge guard in April 2013. I cannot confirm whether the cover was there beforehand.

I did not see damage above what I posted. Nevertheless here is another photo.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20131111_151253.png
Views:	190
Size:	592.7 KB
ID:	49716

Liz

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-11-2013, 02:19 PM   #72

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LizCarmel View Post
Camping World installed the surge guard in April 2013. I cannot confirm whether the cover was there beforehand.

I did not see damage above what I posted. Nevertheless here is another photo.

Attachment 49716

Liz
Looks like heat damage over to the right side of the cabinet. The BIRD cover itself appears to be deformed and the connection block in the middle is damaged too. You can see the bolt from the connection on the right end hanging down (that bolt was part of the block on the far right), that whole cable is melted too, up as far as you can see

You got REALLY lucky!

Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 09:47 PM   #73

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
For all that is looking and investigating this take a look at the photo's again, I just went back and looked again, first thing that catches my eye is the 50 amp. plug is resting against the carpet on the rear wall, plug is melted and nothing happened to the carpet? zoom in on the cord rubber seal in the metal frame where the cord goes outside....... it is melted and you can see exactly where the cord was. If this cord had got hot enough to melt the entry cord seal why was it unpluged and coiled up and stored? The cord had to have been melting itself to melt and form a spot in the seal where the cord go outside..........Just look-in and thinking as everyone here is.
Post #49
I have to ask again...if that cord was that hot and smoking as it had to be....why coil it up in the compartment and as soon as you were getting "PROPANE" you could smell it?As posted ...You are very lucky!
Old 11-11-2013, 10:10 PM   #74

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
The 50 amp cord inlet seal is at the compartment door and bottom framework. That is what the OP says melted, not the round, plastic one in the back wall. I'm at work right now so I can't take and post a picture of the gasket.
Old 11-11-2013, 11:11 PM   #75

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I also do not see this making sense. If the cord was hot and started melting the gasket it would have stopped when you unplugged it. Also you said it felt warm. In order to start melting gaskets and insulation it would have to have felt more than warm. I agree with some of the other posters. From what I have seen It sure looks like the ground cable on the power cord fell against a DC positive power cable and had a dead short. If I remember correctly the ground cable on the power cord is a lot lighter gauge wire than the rest of the cable. Cables in a group like the power cable can be misleading. When one cable shorts out and melts the insulation The heat from that melts insulation around other cables and makes it look like they shorted out also. I could easily see the ground cable shorting out to +12vdc and doing something like that.

To be on the safe side have the shop check all the +12vdc cables around that area to make sure they have not melted somewhere between this compartment and the batteries.
Old 11-11-2013, 11:17 PM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizCarmel View Post
Camping World installed the surge guard in April 2013. I cannot confirm whether the cover was there beforehand. I did not see damage above what I posted. Nevertheless here is another photo. Liz
With this last photo, I starting to think when the power cord was thrown in the storage compartment, the ground pin on the plug got hung on the hot breaker above causing a direct short to ground through the cord. Notice the ground pin on the plug is pulled upward indicating it was hung on something while burning. The spiral ground wire inside the cord has burned through the black outer insulation throughout the full length on the cord . The above breaker is completely fried including the attaching wire.. The burned breaker lug is pulled downward.. The cord ground pin and the lug were touching no doubt about it.. I would bet my Buc's tickets on it ( don't laugh) ..

Randy
Old 11-12-2013, 12:24 AM   #77

I have to agree with Wa8yxm. I see a round 20 amp adapter attached to the dog bone. So I'm wondering if Liz was plugged into the 30 amp or the 20 amp (house hold style plug) on the pedestal. If she ran the microwave being plugged into 20 amp, the 50 amp cord could have gotten really hot, especially the portion coiled in the compartment if the breaker failed to trip. Liz did mention the portion stretch out side the coach was warm to the touch. As Wa8kyxm stated, I think a fired started after she unplugged and shut the compartment door, then smothered itself due to lack of oxygen.

Old 11-12-2013, 12:30 AM   #78

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVluvin View Post
I have to agree with Wa8yxm. I see a round 20 amp adapter attached to the dog bone. So I'm wondering if Liz was plugged into the 30 amp or the 20 amp (house hold style plug) on the pedestal. If she ran the microwave being plugged into 20 amp, the 50 amp cord could have gotten really hot, especially the portion coiled in the compartment if the breaker failed to trip. Liz did mention the portion stretch out side the coach was warm to the touch. As Wa8kyxm stated, I think a fired started after she unplugged and shut the compartment door, then smothered itself due to lack of oxygen.

The microwave should run fine on 15 amps, that's the usual sizing for a household unit and what our GE Advantium micro/convection in the MH runs on. 20 amps is far below the rating of the 50 amp plug and cord. Each of the two leads is designed for 50 amps EACH, the neutral should never have over 50 through it either.
Old 11-12-2013, 12:41 AM   #79

Your right Mr. D, the micro should have been fine. I was remembering back when I melted an outlet prior the breaker tripping, but I was mistaken in thinking the microwave, it was the AC unit I ran.

Darn, thought I had it figured out. I look forward to Liz's next post.
Old 11-12-2013, 12:46 AM   #80

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVluvin View Post
I look forward to Liz's next post.
Me too. Liz's rig is close to ours and I'd really like to know so I can check ours out! She has a 4095 and ours is a Newmar modified 4090 so things should be close as far as the electrics go.
Old 11-12-2013, 06:28 AM   #81

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
The 50 amp cord inlet seal is at the compartment door and bottom framework. That is what the OP says melted, not the round, plastic one in the back wall. I'm at work right now so I can't take and post a picture of the gasket.
Mr D , please read what is highlighted in red in my last post please.
Post #73
Old 11-12-2013, 08:11 AM   #82

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:

For all that is looking and investigating this take a look at the photo's again, I just went back and looked again, first thing that catches my eye is the 50 amp. plug is resting against the carpet on the rear wall, plug is melted and nothing happened to the carpet? zoom in on the cord rubber seal in the metal frame where the cord goes outside....... it is melted and you can see exactly where the cord was. If this cord had got hot enough to melt the entry cord seal why was it unpluged and coiled up and stored? The cord had to have been melting itself to melt and form a spot in the seal where the cord go outside..........Just look-in and thinking as everyone here is.
Quote:

Post #49
I have to ask again...if that cord was that hot and smoking as it had to be....why coil it up in the compartment and as soon as you were getting "PROPANE" you could smell it?As posted ...You are very lucky!
YES! She obviously dodge a BIG bullet this time.

I have to agree with palehorse on his posts.

The damage was done BEFORE the cord was stowed into the compartment, NOT afterwards.

It just continued once it was there causing the mess that we see in the photos.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 11-12-2013, 08:18 AM   #83

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
A hunch from the least knowledgeable person to read all this:

My guess is the warm cord and the actual accident are unrelated and coincidental. Both are problematic, of course.

The rolled cord plug hit the hot wires on the bulkhead when she packed it and the short occurred and melting began. All this because there is no cover over those connections on the bulkhead. Perhaps the cord was quite limp because it was so warm it flopped around a bit more than usual.

The warm wire was caused by the 50/30 amp dog bone and assorted misery described here which would contribute to that symptom. Although possible my guess is it did not create enough heat to melt the wire. But a preheated wire was that much closer to melting which it did when the plug of the power cord hit the exposed wires.

I don't think Liz will get a definitive cause relating to coach electrical malfunction out of the repair person.

Anyway this is an intriguing thread. Certainly pleased that no one was injured.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 08:19 AM   #84

I had an experience last month that might shed some light on this event. My motor home was plugged in to 50 amp shore power in my RV garage. We were using one a/c to cool while we were packing for a planned trip. I smelled smoke and immediately switched the disconnect at the outlet to get things shut off. Pretty sure one of the 110 volt wires came loose in the outlet plug and flashed over. The outlet box was melted as was the 50 amp plug on the power cable. The cable was pretty warm and there was a lot of damage down stream including the inverter, micro wave and refrigerator control board. I have heard of similar problems when the common wire becomes detached. If I had not been present when this flash occurred,I think the shore power cable might have melted internally with similar results os the op. If the op had a surge protector, then he might be spared the downstream damage that we had. I did not have a surge protector, but that event would have merely melted the plug to the protector. I totally rewired that circuit in the garage and now use a metal box and surge protector. Really interested to see the verdict on this one!

vraines is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electrical