Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-12-2013, 03:25 PM   #85

UPDATE

I went to Restless Wheels today and spoke to Mark. He still does not know what caused the meltdown. Mark said that with so much damage he thought that the cause would be apparent.He checked for shorts and found none. The transfer switch was ok; the surge guard was not. There is an aftermarket EMS (?) box in the electrical compartment that was not installed by Newmar. Mark said that it is typically used when a MH has 3 A/Cs (mine has 2).

I called Harpers Ferry KOA. They checked the power box; it was ok.

I noticed another post that mentioned a short caused by a 30-AMP adapter- "30A to 50A Adapter Causes MH Fire" dated 7/28/13. I wonder if there is a connection.

I will keep the group posted.

Thank you everyone for your input. I trust that we will get to the bottom of this.

Liz

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-12-2013, 03:51 PM   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by njs42 View Post
A hunch from the least knowledgeable person to read all this:

My guess is the warm cord and the actual accident are unrelated and coincidental. Both are problematic, of course.

The rolled cord plug hit the hot wires on the bulkhead when she packed it and the short occurred and melting began. All this because there is no cover over those connections on the bulkhead. Perhaps the cord was quite limp because it was so warm it flopped around a bit more than usual.

The warm wire was caused by the 50/30 amp dog bone and assorted misery described here which would contribute to that symptom. Although possible my guess is it did not create enough heat to melt the wire. But a preheated wire was that much closer to melting which it did when the plug of the power cord hit the exposed wires.

I don't think Liz will get a definitive cause relating to coach electrical malfunction out of the repair person.

Anyway this is an intriguing thread. Certainly pleased that no one was injured.

X2 Agree

Old 11-12-2013, 04:03 PM   #87

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
That does'nt explain the Surgeguard being shot .
Old 11-12-2013, 06:16 PM   #88

Monaco Owners Club
Liz,

Do not install another TRC Surge Guard to replace the blown one. Definitely replace it with the Progressive Industries HW-50C EMS System.

They are the BEST in the industry and come with a lifetime warranty and great customer service 24/7.

Waiting for more information.

BTW, it doesn't take much to render the TRC useless.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 11-12-2013, 06:16 PM   #89

Here is another photo of the cord. It melted to the carpet.

You will see another adapter located around 3 o'clock in the photo. This adapter came with the MH; I don't know what it is for. I have never used it.

Liz

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20131112_191401.png
Views:	170
Size:	609.2 KB
ID:	49802
Old 11-12-2013, 06:17 PM   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
Liz,

Do not install another TRC Surge Guard to replace the blown one. Definitely replace it with the Progressive Industries HW-50C EMS System.

They are the BEST in the industry and come with a lifetime warranty and great customer service 24/7.

Waiting for more information.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Thanks. Will do.

Liz
Old 11-12-2013, 06:21 PM   #91

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winepress View Post
I thought so to, but if you look at this photo, you will see the melted ground pin.
Ah thanks for the assist, Now I see it (Folks there are two fifty amp plugs in the compartment the one with the melted pin is top right)

This argues for a short between neutral and ground on the RV side coupled with an open neutral on the park side as the culprit.

Still, it had to happen BEFORE he unplugged. As there is no current source to heat the wire when unplugged.
Old 11-12-2013, 06:25 PM   #92

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LizCarmel View Post

Here is another photo of the cord. It melted to the carpet.

You will see another adapter located around 3 o'clock in the photo. This adapter came with the MH; I don't know what it is for. I have never used it.

Liz

Attachment 49802
That adapter looks like a homemade one that goes from 50 amp to 15 amp.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 11-12-2013, 06:43 PM   #93

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Folks there are two fifty amp plugs in the compartment the one with the melted pin is top right
Hummm! I only see one 50 AMP and a second one that looks like a Dog-Bone that may be a 30-50.

And a 15 AMP to ???
Old 11-12-2013, 06:58 PM   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwillbeit View Post

With this last photo, I starting to think when the power cord was thrown in the storage compartment, the ground pin on the plug got hung on the hot breaker above causing a direct short to ground through the cord. Notice the ground pin on the plug is pulled upward indicating it was hung on something while burning. The spiral ground wire inside the cord has burned through the black outer insulation throughout the full length on the cord . The above breaker is completely fried including the attaching wire.. The burned breaker lug is pulled downward.. The cord ground pin and the lug were touching no doubt about it.. I would bet my Buc's tickets on it ( don't laugh) ..

Randy
I think you would win. Once unplugged from the campground and without the generator running, the only thing that can cause that kind of damage is a direct short across the house batteries.
Harry
Old 11-12-2013, 07:02 PM   #95

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
With this last photo, I starting to think when the power cord was thrown in the storage compartment, the ground pin on the plug got hung on the hot breaker above causing a direct short to ground through the cord. Notice the ground pin on the plug is pulled upward indicating it was hung on something while burning. The spiral ground wire inside the cord has burned through the black outer insulation throughout the full length on the cord . The above breaker is completely fried including the attaching wire.. The burned breaker lug is pulled downward.. The cord ground pin and the lug were touching no doubt about it.. I would bet my Buc's tickets on it ( don't laugh) ..

Randy
X2!!!
2012 Jeep Liberty Limited
MJFZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 07:26 PM   #96

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:

Randy
That was my thinking too and why I said that it would be nice if Liz had/posted a picture of the area above. When she did it was obvious that there was more damage then just the melted cord!

If you look my lower picture in post #47, then compare it to Liz's in #71 you can readily see the damage. That would take a direct short to the batteries to provide that many amps. I'm betting the wiring to the batteries is gone too as well and the battery life shortened or it killed them. Might even need a new inverter/charger and alternator depending on how many amps were drawn.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 09:12 PM   #97

There is significant damage on the top of the compartment. Below is a photo of the compartment after the cord was removed.
Liz

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20131112_221214.png
Views:	122
Size:	648.7 KB
ID:	49814
Old 11-12-2013, 09:15 PM   #98

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I'm not surprised after seeing the photo you published in your post #71. The BIRD cover (black box to the lower right) is even warped as I noted in one of my earlier posts.
If you had had one of the RV's made with plastic molded storage bays I think it would have been a total loss. Newmar uses metal where some others use plastic.

Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
electrical