Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-17-2013, 01:04 AM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My 1st MH had an electrical fire involving the 120 Volt wiring. When it was taken apart they found 19 places where staples, nails or screws went thru the wiring. It was all hidden behind walls. It lasted 15 months before the defects showed up.

The only way to inspect it would have been to remove the paneling. Not all wiring defects are obvious.

UFO Pilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-17-2013, 01:23 AM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
That is why you have a good warranty it's the things you don't see that can get you.

Old 08-17-2013, 07:37 AM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
I previously posted a pix of some Romex that had rubbed through the insulation due to poor installation in our Discovery. It is difficult to look behind the panels but I believe it is a good idea.
Old 08-17-2013, 07:48 AM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggreene View Post
We were told by the fire marshall if we had been sleeping, we would not be here today.
I am terribly sorry about your dog. We have two and our lives pretty much revolve around them. That said I'm not sure why the fire marshal would say that. Did your MH not have smoke detectors?
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 07:55 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO Pilot View Post
My 1st MH had an electrical fire involving the 120 Volt wiring. When it was taken apart they found 19 places where staples, nails or screws went thru the wiring. It was all hidden behind walls. It lasted 15 months before the defects showed up.

The only way to inspect it would have been to remove the paneling. Not all wiring defects are obvious.
What manufacturer was that first one? I'm thinking it was not a Winnebago product. Just curious.

Regarding a previous comment about Winnebago ignoring the OP? The first time 'lawyer' or 'lawsuit' is mentioned, the legal dept would prevent any further discussions.

He didn't come on here out of concern, and suggest we check our rigs for similar problems. It seems he just joined this forum (post count 6) for the sole purpose of bad mouthing a company.That isn't going to help him, or anybody else. My .02. I'm done.
Indian River, De
CaptBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 11:40 AM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptBill View Post
What manufacturer was that first one? I'm thinking it was not a Winnebago product. Just curious.
It wasn't a Winnebago and the manufacturer covered the repairs even though we were out of warranty.

UFO Pilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 12:08 PM   #21

My old 97 rambler endeavor has a fused main positive cable and it is a d--- good thing as the cable was pinched by someone not paying attention to what he was doing (me) slammed the battery tray back in and pinched it and it rubbed a hole in the insulation and It blowed the fuse. This idiot couldn't understand why no power so he goes and buys 4 new batteries and started taking the old ones out and BAM ! Plain as day big ole blown fuse. Thank you Holiday Rambler you always did know how to build a rv.It's a shame they are gone.They were the type folks that didn't just build a rv they camped in them so they would know what was needed.
Old 08-20-2013, 10:50 AM   #22

Yes, we filed a report with the National Transportation board. They told Winnebago they had to go to Colorado to look at it. Winnebago was not going to go.
Old 08-20-2013, 10:52 AM   #23

The poorly designed wires bundles were hidden behind a shroud that the fire marshall removed
Old 08-20-2013, 10:56 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD4Mark View Post
I am terribly sorry about your dog. We have two and our lives pretty much revolve around them. That said I'm not sure why the fire marshal would say that. Did your MH not have smoke detectors?
Yes, but they did not go off till 30 minutes after the fire was put out. We were out riding in the mountains. The Rv was parked in a RV resort. Our new motor coach has an awesome smoke and fire system, not one put in by the manufacturer, but by a fire and alarm company so we can sleep knowing the system will work.
Old 08-20-2013, 11:07 AM   #25

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMPULSE DRIVEN View Post
The fact that Winnebago completely ignored you, makes me not want to buy a Winnebago product.
We are getting the story from one side only which in this case is biased.
Old 08-20-2013, 02:44 PM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
That is true.
Old 08-21-2013, 03:57 AM   #27

If it was a design flaw that caused the fire I would hire an attorney and sue Winnebago for damages. Tiara, a mfg of boats had a design flaw in the late 1990's with the fuel tanks on certain model boats. They agreed to replace all the fuel tanks no matter how old the boats were. Hire an attorney and have him check your claim out. It is especially egregious if the area that caused the fire was in a place you could not see. Good luck!
Old 08-21-2013, 04:03 AM   #28

Capt Bill,

How do you know it was the battery cables that caused the fire. She stated the main power cables which could me the 50 amp cable or in the 110 side of the coach not the DC side?

Tags
itasca, winnebago