Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-16-2014, 09:31 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Fire Prevention Tips?????

I was reading a post and someone mentioned some fire prevention tips, but never expounded upon them.

One mention was to "check all 12 volts"

Pretty vague suggestion, but one that warrants merit in further discussion.

how would you go about checking 12 volt connections?

And what other fire prevention tips, actionable things that we as motorhome owners should routinely check?
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'5 Fleetwood Revolution- '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
Jay, Andrea, Stella '14 Ram 3500 Aisin '18 ORV F30RLS
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-16-2014, 09:59 AM   #2

Check all 12volt systems.
Although it is a good idea to know how all your coach systems operate, including where the wiring runs and where to connections are, I would qualify this by adding .
Any system that has repeated fuse failure or erratic operation, requires immediate attention.
Old 07-18-2014, 05:57 PM   #3

Hydraulic fluid is extremely flammable, make sure hoses are connected well and in good shape...speaking from experience
Cfyanes1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 07:40 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
All electrical connections should be checked for tightness at least once per year. That means tightning screw lugs, terminals and wire nuts. Loose wire connections heat up and can cause fires.
I recently got a 1/2 turn at each connection on my transfer switch. On these rolling homes things will loosen up over time.
chuckftboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 09:07 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
The best fire prevention is to have at least 2-3 good working Fire extinguisher on the RV. 2 ten pounds or 3 five pounds are preferred. Don't buy these little Fire extinguishers used for Kitchen fires. Checking wire connections is a good idea, but fires can start in locations where there is no access for checking such as shorts in wiring harness, behind Refrigerators, Stoves etc.
Old 07-18-2014, 09:20 PM   #6

Excel Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Have at least 2 WORKING smoke detectors. Do not store flammable liquids or gases (LPG) anywhere. in your rig this includes the basement. Unhook all LPG bottles from grills and laterns before storage and store the bottles somewhere outside the rig. Know what fridge you have and if it has recalls or fire history. Check stove knobs to make sure in off position (can be leaned against or bumped into on position.
chief02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 09:24 PM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by chief02 View Post
Have at least 2 WORKING smoke detectors. Do not store flammable liquids or gases (LPG) anywhere. in your rig this includes the basement. Unhook all LPG bottles from grills and laterns before storage and store the bottles somewhere outside the rig. Know what fridge you have and if it has recalls or fire history. Check stove knobs to make sure in off position (can be leaned against or bumped into on position.

If you can't carry the LPG bottles for your gas grill in your MH - how do you get to use your grill?
2021 Grand Cherokee Summit
DebbieMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 12:01 AM   #8

There are basic things you can do that some have mentioned, but fire prevention is like any prevention. Obviously common sense will help you check the obvious, but you hear about RV fires like plane crashes. Very few compared to amount of use. Just have the extinguishers, the smoke detectors, and good insurance and then relax and enjoy. I carry the small LP bottles to use on portable grill and lantern. I disconnect them, put the little plastic caps back on them, and wrap them in towels just to keep them from getting banged around during transport, and then don't give them a second thought.
I mean, come on, you can prevent vehicle accidents if you don't drive, prevent shark bites if you stay out of the ocean, prevent dying in a plane crash if you don't fly, and prevent food poisoning if you don't eat, but who wants to live like that ?
BigBill3111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 12:31 AM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Fire Safety

Diesels engines need to be cleaned/washed routinely to remove oil film which fuels fire.
If you have a diesel engine, install an engine fire suppression system. Practicing fire evacuation by utilizing your emergency windows is a must. Upgrade your CO2 fire extinguishers.
Attend Fire Safety Seminars at RV Rallies held by individuals like "Mac the Fire Guy". My Business - Home Learn how to and practice operating a extinguisher on a fire. My Business - Videos
Doggy Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 12:38 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Check and make sure your battery cables are not rubbing through the insulation anywhere . It is also a good idea to put plastic wire covers on them to help prevent the insulation rubbing through in case it is in contact with any metal !
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 10:26 AM   #11

Excel Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Once the small 1lb LPG bottles are used they tend to weep gas. Also if u leave them hooked up to a device the likelihood of a leak is greater. And if stored in a basement compartment where there are multiple ignition sources you could have a disaster. We full-time in a 5er so all my flammable liquids and gases are it the truck tool box. As others have said, good maintenance and housekeeping are good fire prevention. Fire extinguishers and smoke detectors are for when things go wrong. Also, have an escape plan and PRACTICE IT. Can you really get out that escape window?
chief02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 10:35 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
These are all great tips. keep em coming
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'5 Fleetwood Revolution- '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
Jay, Andrea, Stella '14 Ram 3500 Aisin '18 ORV F30RLS
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 10:48 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbieMH View Post
If you can't carry the LPG bottles for your gas grill in your MH - how do you get to use your grill?
I carry my 5 gal ( 20#) bottle in the back of my toad, remove it as soon as I disconnect.
Any propane container should be carried , in an unheated , vented area. Closest I can come to those conditions is, in the toad.
Old 07-19-2014, 02:04 PM   #14

You can buy fire suppression devices for the engine compartment and the fridge. Most coaches come with fire extinguishers, however it is likely the are outdated, or have lost some of their pressure. Its also a good idea to shake them up once in a while so the powder does not clump.

Lastly and especially if you have kids, build a fire in your backyard and practice putting out a fire with the old expired fire extinguishers. (its a good use for them) That way you are used to how they work, and don't have to think about what to do when the emergency occurs. There are instructions on the fire extinguishers, so the practice time is the time to read them.

Tags
vent