Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-03-2018, 03:05 PM   #1

Fire Safety

I am concerned about exiting my bedroom window in a fire. A guy named “Mac the fire guy” has been doing seminars around the country on RV fire safety. He also sold a special exit ladder on his website. I think he has retired and the website still has his videos up but the store is closed and the email is shut down. My question is: does anyone know of an exit ladder made specifically to exit an rV window safely? The ones for Home use will tear up the side of the coach if you try to practice your exit. Thanks for your responses! I own a 34 foot Tiffin motorhome.
Big. Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-03-2018, 03:32 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club

I believe in being prepared, but finding space to carry an emergency exit ladder would either take up too much living space or have to be stored in a place it wouldn't be accessible in real emergency. Many of the ladders I've seen for this purpose look more suitable for kids, not full grown elder adults. My wife and I have discussed this, we both have opened the emergency exit windows to make sure we know how they operate. In the case of a real fire and the need to exit, we both would open the window and drop out the window, assisting each other exit as best we could. If the RV was on fire, I really wouldn't care about tearing up the exterior finish, the fire would most likely erase any damage from foot or ladder scuffs from the outside.

If you want to practice, use a step ladder or the like, padded with carpet, to exit the window.

If you look at any passenger coach, they have windows that serve as emergency exits and don't have ladders. In an emergency, you open the window and exit, no matter that you are off the ground by 5'-8'. JMHO

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 07:05 PM   #3

Fire Safety

I looked into this and determined that by the time the ladder is set up, you are likely in trouble as you don’t have long to get out. I took several steps for exit assistance.

First, I open the window twice per year and dust the seal with baby powder so it opens easily. The first time I opened it after buying the coach, it actually took several minutes because it was stuck.

The next thing I did was make three window props to hold the window during exiting. I figure it is too easy for one to fall out during exiting and then you can’t reach it if it’s on the ground.

Next, I bought four fire extinguishers from Mac when his store was open and keep the big one near the door, one smaller one near the kitchen stove and two near the exit window. These aren’t the powder ones that come with the coach, they are the ones Mac recommended.

Finally, I have a padded bed roll near the window that we can hang out to aid in sliding over the sharp edge of the window.

My ultimate goal would be a 2019 Newmar with the full rear emergency exit door with built in ladder but am not sure that is in the cards.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 07:05 PM   #4

One solution that might work is to place a CG picnic table w/ one end next to the MH under the BR window. That may actually be easier than a rope ladder to maneuver - just hang out & drop to the surface - it won't be far and top is large - hard to miss

Also - If anyone has window awnings be sure to try the emergency escape window w/ the awning deployed. I did and the single centered awning strap prevented my window from opening very far. I added clips at the sides of the window frame instead of the center and added a second strap. This also made the normal crank opening work better as the centered strap interfered w/ the opening window previously.

My thought is that the centered strap is / should be a violation of the RVIA emergency egress "unobstructed emergency exit" requirement but apparently manufacturers are ignoring this issue when installing window awnings
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 08:07 PM   #5

Welcome to the forum.

For those curious as to the ladder Big. Al is describing, it is demonstrated at the tail end of the video below.

I can't find an 8.5' telescoping ladder with the window hooks built-into the ladder as is shown in the video so I guess you'd have to attempt to install/attach your own hooks to a standard 8.5 foot telescoping ladder that is easy to find from many vendors. Or as Big. Al has asked, if anybody knows where to purchase one, please post.

We kept a cheap First Alert ladder in our bedroom closet in case we needed it but we both figured that in a fire situation, we'd be so panicked that we'd just slide the bedroom window open and "hang-and-drop" as it's only a few feet from the ground once hanging from the window sill. Sure, there's the possibility that we'd incur minor injuries but in a fire situation, the first thing on our minds would be to just get out in the fastest way possible. We are (were) both in decent physical shape to be able to do that.

However, as said, we kept this ladder purchased at Walmart in the bedroom closet just in case and did try it out once and it worked "okay" but still would rather have the one shown in the video ...but for $35, the one we had is fine in an emergency.

theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 10:19 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winemaker2 View Post
One solution that might work is to place a CG picnic table w/ one end next to the MH under the BR window. That may actually be easier than a rope ladder to maneuver - just hang out & drop to the surface - it won't be far and top is large - hard to miss

Also - If anyone has window awnings be sure to try the emergency escape window w/ the awning deployed. I did and the single centered awning strap prevented my window from opening very far. I added clips at the sides of the window frame instead of the center and added a second strap. This also made the normal crank opening work better as the centered strap interfered w/ the opening window previously.

My thought is that the centered strap is / should be a violation of the RVIA emergency egress "unobstructed emergency exit" requirement but apparently manufacturers are ignoring this issue when installing window awnings
My window awning straps simply hook onto a plastic, er, hook. A slap of the hand unhooks it and the awning spring retracts it.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 10:49 AM   #7

Google "collapsible ladder" and you'll find the same or similar as in the video sans hooks. I expect he was adding those himself. Easy enough to do if you're handy.
Old 11-04-2018, 11:13 AM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
My wife was severely burned when she was 3 years old.She is deathly afraid of fire.We are 78 years old and over weight.We have this discussion on each trip.Our Country Coach windows slide open on each side.I explain each trip,I will open the window and throw out the quilts, sheets and pillows.She will go out the window head first and I will follow.
If time permitted I would stand the mattress up to the hallway.I keep a 10# extinguisher at the end of my side.
mackpeteno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 01:04 PM   #9

A warning about testing your emergency escape window. Some of them are designed to come off the hinge and fall to the ground it they are raised far enough. A good thing in an emergency. Not so good if you're just testing it.
Old 11-05-2018, 07:04 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
I have a boat ladder in my closet. It's held to the side of the closet by one ribbon of Velcro screwed to the wall. The hooks swing so it can be folded flat and it's got rubber bumpers that are designed to keep the ladder from damaging a fiberglass boat.

It's similar to this.

Old 11-05-2018, 09:20 AM   #11

You have no time to mess with a ladder. Fire in RV moves too fast.

Most exit windows you're supposed to exit going feet first - good luck with that when there is a cabinet above and below that bedroom window and you're 68.

We installed a typical 18" entry grab bar vertically next to the window. In case of a fire, we will pop the window, lean out, grab the bar and allow our bodies to "snake" out while we hold the bar. Once our feet are aimed down, we can drop the last 6-12" (if that).

FAST - no assembly required.
Domo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 09:39 AM   #12

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Domo View Post
You have no time to mess with a ladder. Fire in RV moves too fast.

Most exit windows you're supposed to exit going feet first - good luck with that when there is a cabinet above and below that bedroom window and you're 68.

We installed a typical 18" entry grab bar vertically next to the window. In case of a fire, we will pop the window, lean out, grab the bar and allow our bodies to "snake" out while we hold the bar. Once our feet are aimed down, we can drop the last 6-12" (if that).

FAST - no assembly required.
I agree! Your forethought adding a grab handle is a good suggestion. An RV is a limited space, full of things that would give off toxic smoke if ignited. It will quickly fill with that smoke and could confuse or incapacitate you in seconds. Don't worry about marring the sides of the RV, GET OUT. To think you have time to grab a ladder, hang it out the window, and climb down in a controlled fashion is not being realistic and overly optimistic to the actual conditions. Many travel with pets and as couples. As you carefully negotiate a ladder you've deployed, what about your partner and pets?

If you want to practice fire drills, put a table or other item to stand on outside your RV. See how you will position yourself to exit through the window and drop onto the table. Will you go first or your partner? Who can best support or help catch the second person exiting? These are the things you need to discuss and rehearse. Ladders are not a priority in an emergency, the window is not a second or third story exit. If like me, you're old and brittle, bones heal, death isn't an injury you recover from.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 10:24 AM   #13

I'm so dead.............

Blondiega1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 10:47 AM   #14

Small living space..........fire/20-30 seconds to react and GET OUT

Fire is a motivator.

Use fire extinguisher to provide safe zone to GET OUT
Not for fighting the fire.

Get out entry door if possible
Otherwise pop the window and GO OUT......as fast as possible/others are waiting on you.

GET OUT and RUN!

RVs are nothing but a big box full of flammable materials that WILL go up in flames FAST

GET OUT and RUN!
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fire, safety