Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-02-2015, 04:49 PM   #1

Fire Suppression Systems for DP

I have seen the results of an engine compartment fire in a DP. Does anyone have any suggestions regarding fire suppression systems or have already installed one in their coach? Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Mike
Wrinklemeist is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-02-2015, 05:24 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
My Business -

Not my business just the name of the page. Mac the fire guy is a great source.
gemert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 05:28 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrinklemeist View Post
I have seen the results of an engine compartment fire in a DP. Does anyone have any suggestions regarding fire suppression systems or have already installed one in their coach? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike

I installed a duel head SS300 from this source:

http://www.firefightproducts.com/Fir...ental_Hal.html

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 05:51 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
If you live near a large metropolitan area check in the yellow pages for a company that supplies and services fire extinguishers. In most cases they will distribute a variety of fire suppression systems.

I've familiar with these systems as they are installed on mining equipment both surface and underground.

In an application such as a diesel pusher I would think that either foam or a dusting system would work. The dusting system is probably more common and less expensive then foam and easier to maintain.

It would take at least 1 large canister bottle with several nozzles (4-6) located around the engine and transmission. The system could be setup to initiate with by sensing an increase in heat combined with 1 or 2 remote actuators that would set the system off. The remote actuating button looks like an emergency stop button with a small high pressure bottle of nitrogen.

Normally you have to pull a pin (that prevents accidental initiation) and hit a button. It is connected to the system via a long small diameter hose that will set off the system. The canister usually has a larger nitrogen bottle that is discharged via a piston triggered by emergency button or by a heat sensor. The system basically envelops the compartment in dust and starving the fire of oxygen. I've seen the systems work, if they are installed correctly they will put out a fire.

My guess is it would cost $3-4K for a system installed, that's a guess as I hadn't dealt with costing these for several years. The companies may agree to sell you components to do it yourself to relieve them of any liability. We chose to have these systems either installed from the OEM or after the unit was delivered depending on available systems from OEM. Although a fire suppression system was not mandated by law it was by far the best option for underground equipment compared to hand held fire extinguishers.

The system is fairly easy to maintain as the nitrogen bottles are sealed units and have weights stamped on them, periodically weigh to check. The large canister full of dust should be taken out periodically, turned upside down to prevent the stuff from setting up. There are usually seal at the bottom of the canister that holds the dust in that should be checked and replaced as needed.

I've seen these systems work. Preventing an underground equipment fire and potential saving human life made these systems highly desirable and well worth the investment.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 07:01 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrinklemeist View Post
Thanks,
Mike
In the Foretravel's they install the Fog-MakerŪ Engine Fire Suppression System and it can also be installed as an aftermarket product.

Zoey and Shelby (Pembroke Welsh Corgis)
tomakat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 07:21 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ownby View Post
I installed a duel head SS300 from this source:

Fire Fight Supplemental Halon Fire Suppression Systems

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Hi Steve,

Did you install this yourself? Do you have a pic of your install?

-Tom
Zoey and Shelby (Pembroke Welsh Corgis)
tomakat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 08:24 PM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomakat View Post
In the Foretravel's they install the Fog-MakerŪ Engine Fire Suppression System and it can also be installed as an aftermarket product.

I was at Madison and watched a demo of the Fog Maker. It is a pretty neat system
Old 08-02-2015, 08:40 PM   #8

Like Steve Ownby I installed an AFFF automated fire suppression system over my engine compartment. If you have side radiators you will want a dual head system. For rear radiator, like mine, a single head will do.
AFFF is specifically designed for fuel fires. If you travel or store your system in very cold weather you will need the Freez protected foam?
I got mine from Fire Fight Systems but Mac the Fire Guy is also a great source.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 08:57 PM   #9

I purchased the large extinguisher from Mac the fire guy, drilled a hole in the closet engine cover and dropped the spray head over the injector side of the engine. I then sealed the hole with fire foam and bolted the ext. to the engine cover. The extinguisher takes up some closet floor space but it is worth it.

Steve and Jill
2005 Panther
23' Trailer
slemnah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 11:17 PM   #10

While your at it look at installing nozzles for at least the passenger side front tire. This should be a manual release AAAF system. If you have a right front blowout chances are high that the tire may catch fire thus blocking your exit.

The foam will take care of than since not only will it put the fir out but cool the tire as well so it doesn't reignite. Just make sure you don't dump it too soon. Id think waiting till your speed is under 40 or maybe 35 would be about right.

IMHO
Old 08-03-2015, 04:09 AM   #11
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I wanted the added security of an engine extinguisher especially since 25% of my engine bay consists of hot smog equipment (DEF motor). I spoke to Mac the Fire Guy at Quartzsite and he recommend his 200 or 300 size unit. I didn't buy at the time because I thought he was a little pricey.

I later checked Amazon and found that he was selling Fire Fight Products. I bought the SS200 model. See all models here - Fire Fight Supplemental Halon Fire Suppression Systems

His prices are really pretty good, but when sold at Quartzsite, there is a 10% tax applied.

I mounted mine on the roof of the engine compartment. The only issue I had was finding a secure enough mounting point where the extinguisher needed to be. I had to add some plate to the mounting area to help support the heavy extinguisher. Here are a couple of photos. They're a little grainy because they were shot at night. This is a side radiator 450 ISL.

Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 02:23 PM   #12

Fire suppression info

Thank you everyone for all the input. I had seen the Fog Maker video in my current email mag from FMCA. I contacted them and got a call back this morning. They use two different fire companies here in Reno to do their installs and if I buy through the company, it would be 4K installed. I like the idea of the water mist as it would cool things down to avoid re-ignition. Does anyone have a real preference for the Halon system? The dry chem would make one heck of a mess. Also, thanks for the idea of a foam extinguisher above the front passenger tire. Good idea.
Wrinklemeist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 04:10 PM   #13

Here is the company that makes the one you can use for the tire. It's designed for race cars but it should work great for a DP. What's nice about these is that you can recharge them your self or have it done.

IO Port Racing Supplies: ESS AFFF Fire Systems
Old 08-04-2015, 07:21 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
We had one of Mac the Fire Guy's systems installed in our engine bay.

We purchase the system from Mac and his sidekick Chuck did the installation. The bottle for the system is located in the closet above where it's easy to check the gauge.

Someone mentioned "Quartzsite"... We purchased some other extinguishers from Mac at Quartzsite last year when he spoke to a group camped out in the BLM lands nearby. He did not charge the sales tax at these off-site venues.