Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-22-2019, 08:44 AM   #1

Fire takes everything from full timer

Saw this on my local news. I wonder how often this happens.

Started with a over heat indication. When I fly it means land right now. Lets not keep driving and hope it will go away.

https://kmph.com/news/local/couple-v...-on-highway-99
gpounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-22-2019, 09:24 AM   #2

According to what I've read and seen, the vast majority of RV fires in a diesel pusher start in the engine compartment. Probably due to a small leak in the fuel or oil system, a hose or cracked pipe starts leaking, spraying either diesel or oil all over in a fine mist, onto a hot engine.

So to be safe, I bought a couple of these: Tenyu fire extinguishers

Going to mount these over the engine. Hopefully, I'll notice if one or both of them explode and be able to pull over before even they are overcome and the fire starts up again. I'm thinking that it might be prudent to put a camera or fire detector in the engine compartment to alert me if a fire starts up because it's difficult to know sitting 30 feet in front of it looking the other way.

Refer fires are the 2nd biggest fire zone, but I'm unsure if that was due to the improperly designed 1200 series of refers made by Norcold for several years or if all of them might be susceptible to it. Not sure yet if the Tenyu extinguisher will fit inside the refer's outside compartment where the fires start generally.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 01:34 PM   #3

Looks like a Tiffin Phaeton 40’. Thankfully they are okay. That’s one of my worst fears.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 02:05 PM   #4

Oh...how sad
Old 10-22-2019, 02:23 PM   #5

I'm currently parked 3 sites away from one that looks similar in a Palm Springs RV park. We were the closest RV to them when it burned 2 Sunday's ago (we moved a site further away). It's such a shame to see. You really feel helpless to do anything when this happens.
While the one in the article was probably an engine fire the DP next to us suffered what is believed to be an electrical malfunction in the electric bay. The cabinet was smoking and when opened 3 fire extinguishers weren't able to knock it down.
Old 10-22-2019, 02:41 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpounder View Post
Saw this on my local news. I wonder how often this happens.

In another thread on iRV2 the folks at either Colaw or Visone were quoted as saying that of fires in Class A motor homes, 60% or more were engine compartment fires, 25% were reefer fires and the rest electrical or from cooking or careless smoking.
Old 10-22-2019, 03:04 PM   #7

There was a—big fire story—here with one of our members awhile back ago. I gleaned everything from that post and reduced it down to a summary and a link to the original story. To anyone that's interested here it is:

The whole story can be found here.
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/engi...-a-355703.html

Summary:
If you own—any brand of a motorhome—that’s on a Freightliner Custom Chassis XBR, XCL, XCM, and XCR between the years 2010 & 2017 and is equipped with Cummins ISL engine, you need to pay attention to a real possible fire threat in the engine bay.

These affected models include a poorly routed power steering hose that can rub against the power stud on the starter motor. This can lead to electrical arcing — the creation of a brief but strong electric current — and a power steering fluid leak that, combined, may cause a fire.

Officials said this could affect over 10,000 motorhome's.
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 03:10 PM   #8

Freightliner Owners Club
Close to 10 years ago I helped a Navy Vet full timer try and extinguish his 5ver fire. We saved his truck but the trailer was burnt to a crisp. EVERYTHING he owned was in that camper.

Here is my original post with pics.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f59/5er-f...ond-66091.html
RVing for 20 years & 200,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 03:26 PM   #9

Tangible items can be replaced. Lives on the other hand can't. I'm glad to hear there was no loss of life or injury.
You have to wonder who was the most scared. The driver or his wife behind him.
Lynn
Old 10-22-2019, 07:29 PM   #10

Fire takes everything from full timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by marjoa View Post
There was a—big fire story—here with one of our members awhile back ago. I gleaned everything from that post and reduced it down to a summary and a link to the original story. To anyone that's interested here it is:

The whole story can be found here.
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/engi...-a-355703.html

Summary:
If you own—any brand of a motorhome—that’s on a Freightliner Custom Chassis XBR, XCL, XCM, and XCR between the years 2010 & 2017 and is equipped with Cummins ISL engine, you need to pay attention to a real possible fire threat in the engine bay.

These affected models include a poorly routed power steering hose that can rub against the power stud on the starter motor. This can lead to electrical arcing — the creation of a brief but strong electric current — and a power steering fluid leak that, combined, may cause a fire.

Officials said this could affect over 10,000 motorhome's.

Our 2016 Winnebago Tour had a recall for that exact issue.
2aktravelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 07:49 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solo_RV_Guy View Post
In another thread on iRV2 the folks at either Colaw or Visone were quoted as saying that of fires in Class A motor homes, 60% or more were engine compartment fires, 25% were reefer fires and the rest electrical or from cooking or careless smoking.
Like this one we saw at Visone a few weeks ago.Click image for larger version

Name:	20190923_102038.jpeg
Views:	49
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	264460
HJLowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 08:30 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by LETMGROW View Post
Tangible items can be replaced. Lives on the other hand can't. I'm glad to hear there was no loss of life or injury.
You have to wonder who was the most scared. The driver or his wife behind him.
Lynn
That is reality, although at the time it seems your whole world went up in flames.
The hardest part of this is, proving to insurance companies what you actually lost, and the value.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 09:38 PM   #13

Two more causes of fires:

1. Brake overheating
2. Tire failures

Just ordered 2 of the automatic fire extinguishers for the engine area. Thanks for the link.
gpounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 10:59 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2aktravelers View Post
Our 2016 Winnebago Tour had a recall for that exact issue.
My 2014 Newmar had the same Freightliner recall. Mine was fine - no rubbing, but of course they rerouted the power steering line per the recall.

Tags
full timer, fire, full time