Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-15-2011, 04:36 PM   #15

Fleetwood Owners Club
The bunkhouses are a bit hard to come by in my price range. There are many out there but not under 50K. I'm looking at an 02 Holiday Rambler Vacationeer 32' double slide workhorse with 26k on the odometer for $33k. Don't know a lot about Holiday Rambler, any advice good or bad to look for? Thanks
jscribn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-15-2011, 08:56 PM   #16

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I love our national mh. My advice would be...purchase the extended warranty..
Best decision I've ever made. Just saying. Best wishes!
lilgreek7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 06:19 AM   #17

After owning a 1986 Allegro 27, Fleetwood Southwind Storm 1998 31W, and now a Winnebago (all Class A's) I would recommend either an Allegro or a Winnebago. Both are quality coaches, the companies are in good shape, and parts are available going way back. The Storm had several major issues and had to go back to the factory three times.
You might want to wait another month to find the very best deals as sales slow down in the fall and winter. In any case this is a buyers market and you should find some great deals. Good Luck!
millsrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 07:08 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by jscribn1
The bunkhouses are a bit hard to come by in my price range. There are many out there but not under 50K. I'm looking at an 02 Holiday Rambler Vacationeer 32' double slide workhorse with 26k on the odometer for $33k. Don't know a lot about Holiday Rambler, any advice good or bad to look for? Thanks
I have a 1998 Holiday Rambler Vacationer. I am a fan. When we bought it in 2007 it had 28,480 miles. It now has 71,000 miles. It is in a Chevy chassis 454 which seems bulletproof. We added a massive antisway bar (excellent control, as a result), new Bilstein shocks, Banks Power System for much improved torque. We have no slides which seems to work fine for us since we have run into so many who complain about stripped cogs and gears.
I think the first advice is the soundest. Choose your floor plan first, otherwise you will be jiggled to death with annoying things that don't work and are hard to change.
Robertsmellis
Robertsmelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 07:55 AM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
Everyone keeps saying how it's a buyers market and can find a lot in my price range but in Southern Calif. all the coaches we are liking are in the $50-$70k range and the dealers are firm. I'm looking at 2002-2006 range, I don't think I'm setting my sights too high either. Do I go in and make a lowball offer and hope for the best? I was told that the NADA guide doesn't relly apply right now because that is what they are worth, not what they are selling for right now. At least that is what I was told when selling my warrior. Any suggestions?
Old 09-16-2011, 09:46 AM   #20

Just be sure everything is to your satisfaction before accepting the MH because the extended warranty does not cover "pre-existing" conditions. At least, Good Sam's does not.
GigiShaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 03:07 PM   #21

Thor Owners Club
Good luck... We just finished up going through what you did (got out of our Weekend Warrior and upgraded to our class A DP). While searching around the southern Ca area, not a lot of dealers were willing to deal... That is... until we got our own financing. Right now the hardest part is getting approved. We were able to negotiate 20k+ off the asking price, with a trade in, all because we were already approved for the loan. Good luck!

Happy Wife = Happy Life! ... and that brings "Miles of Smiles"
TruDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 06:03 PM   #22

Fleetwood Owners Club
I looked at a 2003 National Dolphin LX workhorse today with 26k on the odometer. Coach looked nice but was a bit dirty. Dealer said it hadn't been detailed yet so I'm sure it will clean up nice. The salesman seemed to think he could get it to me at $50k out the door. What do you think of that price? Should I offer less since I have my preapproved loan through my credit union? Any comments on this coach please post. Thanks.
Old 09-17-2011, 09:53 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by jscribn1 View Post
I looked at a 2003 National Dolphin LX workhorse today with 26k on the odometer. Coach looked nice but was a bit dirty. Dealer said it hadn't been detailed yet so I'm sure it will clean up nice. The salesman seemed to think he could get it to me at $50k out the door. What do you think of that price? Should I offer less since I have my preapproved loan through my credit union? Any comments on this coach please post. Thanks.
The National Dolphins were very nice coaches, and I'm a Workhorse "fan", having bought my sig coach to get one of the last of the breed.

However, since I sold (not traded) my 2003 Newmar KSCA for < $35K over a year ago, I think $50K is a bit too high for a dirty, albeit low milage, orphan coach. If you can cut a better deal after they clean up all the cosmetic issues...then make sure THEY handle getting the refer recall done and you VERIFY that the Bosch brake recall has been completed by Workhorse BEFORE you give them a dime! Happy shopping. Ed
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 10:08 AM   #24

Fleetwood Owners Club
I agree that $50k is too high. I'm going to keep shopping. For some reason I'm really drawn to the Fleetwoods with the dark wood. El Monte RV sells their rentals and I've seen their Fiesta LX bunkhouses so I may go check those out too. I appreciate everyones input. It seemed so easy when I bought my Warrior. This motorhome thing has got me all scrambled up!!
Old 10-14-2011, 09:22 PM   #25

Fleetwood Owners Club
Finally pulled the trigger and bought my first class A motorhome. I ended up going with a 2002 Fleetwood Southwind 32V. Very low miles (9700) and VERY well taken care of. Always covered so the coach looks great and the interior is virtually spotless. It had some extras too. 135 watt solar panel, 4, 6volt batteries, and the custom black out shades for the front windshield. Thanks everyone for you help and suggestions. Halloween weekend will be our first trip to the desert, can't wait.
Justin
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MH1.JPG
Views:	83
Size:	228.7 KB
ID:	14731   Click image for larger version

Name:	MH2.JPG
Views:	100
Size:	223.1 KB
ID:	14732  

Name:	MH3.JPG
Views:	92
Size:	704.8 KB
ID:	14733   Click image for larger version

Name:	MH4.JPG
Views:	98
Size:	691.6 KB
ID:	14734  

Name:	MH5.JPG
Views:	101
Size:	519.4 KB
ID:	14735  
Old 10-14-2011, 09:34 PM   #26

Congratulations, looks like you found a very nice motorhome. Have a great trip, enjoy!
millsrv is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
purchase