Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-08-2016, 09:48 AM   #15

Smile

We will be on our 3rd cross-country trip next month. My tip is don't over pack. On our first trip I packed clothes for both of us for every occasion & food for the entire trip. Well, at least that's how it seemed. There are stores everywhere you go! Take lots of breaks, walk around & breathe the air! The trip is what it's all about!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-08-2016, 09:55 AM   #16
Just south of Twin Cities

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Heck we do that every winter. No problem.

We left here in mid Feb and drove to southern Florida then up the East Coast all the way to Maryland. We stayed 3 or 4 days at spots along the way and then on to the next adventure. In late March we left Maryland and drove cross country to home in time for Easter.

Just leave a little time in case you hit some bad weather and check tires and fluid each morning prior to departure.

If you think about it it isn't that many miles. Not even an oil change. If you do have a problem take your time to analyze it and fix it.

Above all, stay safe.

2015 Ford Explorer Blue Ox tow bar, AF1
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 11:43 AM   #17

National RV Owners Club
Maiden Voyage - Check

Monty,
I know that this is easire said than done but you sound well prepared so try to relax. We like you just purchased our first ever coach in November. After having taken a fer short 200 mile trips, we did a 2500 or so mile trip from Indiana to Southg Florida Gulf coast and back in 9 days. My jitters came from this being our first coach and it is 18 years old. Aside from a couple of minor coach issues, everything went fine. We took state highways where it was fiesable and really enjoyed the scenery. We just kept in the right lane and let those others fly by while we stayed at our own comfortable pace. I wish you good weather, calm winds, and safe travels my friend.
Old 04-08-2016, 11:55 AM   #18

Ford Super Duty Owner
Every long trip is just a series of short trips put together. Get into a routine of checking things at the end of the day and or before the next days journey. Check the tires, look for leaks under the coach. After a while you'll settle in and enjoy.

The unforeseen issues are just that unforeseen. Good preventative maintenance is all you can really do and that is never fool proof. When and if they come up deal with them and move on.

Enjoy your trip

TeJay
Old 04-08-2016, 12:35 PM   #19

You will be fine. We do high mileage days a lot as we are still working and must reposition over the weekend.

One piece of advice I could give having learned it the hard way. No matter how much you feel you need to get moving in the morning, do not rush your DW. Never rush your DW. No good ever comes of that

Rick and Jessica
Old 04-08-2016, 12:43 PM   #20

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by kb1flr View Post
You will be fine. We do high mileage days a lot as we are still working and must reposition over the weekend.

One piece of advice I could give having learned it the hard way. No matter how much you feel you need to get moving in the morning, do not rush your DW. Never rush your DW. No good ever comes of that

Rick and Jessica
Dw is just going to put her seat back and snooze anyway
montyhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 12:49 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by montyhp View Post
Dw is just going to put her seat back and snooze anyway
That is good. Mine is whiteknuckled until she falls asleep. Every time we drive under an overpass, she is sure the AC's are about to be ripped off

Rick and Jessica
Old 04-08-2016, 01:50 PM   #22

Fleetwood Owners Club
Thanks to everyone for the encouraging words. I have a credit card and enough of an emergency fund to cover most contingencies. I did Start to have a little hesitation in the engine a few weeks ago but fuel filter changes seem to have fixed that. I think a test drive is in order tomorrow Just to put my mind at ease.
montyhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 03:39 PM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Relax and enjoy!! Make sure you have a good emergency road service, I could start a big fight here if I said Good Sam was best! Or Coach net! Anyway, tire pressure is important and I recommend a TPMS (Tire pressure management system.) Other than that, enjoy the ride..
gemert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 08:43 PM   #24

Like I told a new owner of our previous motor home. Pull the dipstick, thump the tires, and go.
Old 04-08-2016, 10:35 PM   #25

Nervous? White knuckle experience. Apprehensive?

Geez. Where's the enjoyment in that?

Just get in, start the engine and drive. Stop worrying about it and just DO it.
Old 04-08-2016, 10:50 PM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
Montyhp, we're in the same boat as you. We bought ours in October and have our first trip on Thursday. Arkansas to Florida. We've taken a dozen trips here in the state but am extremely nervous about being out of my comfort zone.

Just prior to typing this I got called to a broken down 18-wheeler in my jurisdiction and had to get him a wrecker to get him off the highway......that didn't help my nerves any!!
Old 04-08-2016, 11:45 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeJay View Post
Every long trip is just a series of short trips put together. Get into a routine of checking things at the end of the day and or before the next days journey. Check the tires, look for leaks under the coach. After a while you'll settle in and enjoy.

The unforeseen issues are just that unforeseen. Good preventative maintenance is all you can really do and that is never fool proof. When and if they come up deal with them and move on.

Enjoy your trip

TeJay
Amen!

We've been going from OR-WV-OR nearly every year since '79 with a TC. This Summer will be with a "new to us" MH. We've taken many different routes from the Canadian border down to I-8 to see the many things we wanted to see along the way.

Almost every, if not every, trip I was apprehensive when we first started. As we drove on that apprehension faded and was replaced by anticipation. I'm guessing you will do the same thing.

Enjoy!

Steve
Old 04-09-2016, 12:03 AM   #28

I bought my coach a year and a half ago in Oregon. I'm in Houston. Never been in one before. My brother and I flew to Oregon and drove it 2000 miles back to Houston. He had no experience either. It was the best trip I have had so far! I guess I did not know I was suppose to be worried. Ignorance is bliss I guess. It was fun having a relief driver. We drove late in the night while the other slept and traded every few hours or so. We were on a tight schedule so needed to push it some. Have a blast and don't overthink it. Your insured, have tow coverage and a credit card. Keep it between the lines and the rest is easy. Cheers!

noserider is offline   Reply With Quote