Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-20-2010, 03:49 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
First Long Trip (To Me Anyway)

Well, just completed what I refer to as my first long trip. We went approximately 200 miles.

The motorhome handled well. The improvements I have made really helped.
I added new shocks and tires, had the front end aligned with an 1/8" toe, and shimmed to 5.9 degrees. Weighed and adjusted the air pressure in the tires to Michlien specs plus 5 psi.

Added the Davis TruTrac to the front and TracBar to the rear. The trip was very much different than the trip when I first purchased it. No more push by semi's, less rear end sway and a much softer ride with the shocks and air pressure change.

I do still have a small problem, that being, the need for an almost constant steering correction, just a little to one direction and then back again.

I am not sure if it is play in the steering box there is only 17,000 miles on it.

I will have to check this out and if all is OK, I am thinking about Steer Safe or Safe-T-Plus for the front end to try and eliminate the constant correction.

Your opinions as to what you feel may correct this problem will be appreciated.

Thanks
Ed
smokey5209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-20-2010, 05:57 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Hey Ed,

Sure sounds like you've been busy...and doing all the right stuff. My coach also had only 17K registered and I also had some 'wandering' in the front end and excessive 'tail wag'. I went with a set of Konis and added a rear trac-bar as well. I'm very happy with the handling now and after 2k miles on this trip, I'm almost convinced that what little steering correcting I have to do is just the nature of the 'beast'. I mean, we are talk'n 'big honk'n truck' here!

My steering feels solid and tight, so I'm not sure adjusting would help (YMMV) in my case and with the work you have had done, I would have thought that your front end man would have caught any play in the steering box.

I've found that most of my over correcting can be reduced just by loosing my white knuckled death grip of the steering wheel and relaxing a bit. This has worked so well for me that I'm forgoing the planned front trac bar installation...for now. It's almost like I've found some sort of steering 'sweet spot' and the constant correcting is almost eliminated...I'm now thinking of becoming a professional bus driver...NOT! Give it a try...hope it helps. Bob

'05 Monaco Windsor 40 DST - ISL / '08 Wrangler
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 02:29 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Ed, as Bob has suggested I too, would recommend that you drive the coach some more before making any more changes. What you might be doing is making a steering change when none is needed. If you will try to NOT make a correction but hold the wheel straight when the coach lists or leans from wind, road crown or passing truck, you may find that the coach stays in the center of the lane just fine. It takes some getting used to not over correcting and correcting back and forth constantly.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 12:13 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokey5209 View Post

I do still have a small problem, that being, the need for an almost constant steering correction, just a little to one direction and then back again.

I am not sure if it is play in the steering box there is only 17,000 miles on it.

I will have to check this out and if all is OK, I am thinking about Steer Safe or Safe-T-Plus for the front end to try and eliminate the constant correction.

Your opinions as to what you feel may correct this problem will be appreciated.

Thanks
Ed
I've done much of the same type stuff you have, and with similar noticeable improvement in handling - but also still have a small degree of "road wander". But, our local roads are narrow and winding, and usually crowned or cambered enough to not be seriously critical of the suspension. Our older rig has 59K miles on it, and the suspension/steering all seems well maintained and tight - but I suspect age and the added air bags might have affected front end alignment.

Unfortunately, the nearest possible alignment spot capable of RV alignment is about a 250 mile round trip from here - so any economical checking of alignment will have to wait until some RV adventure takes in that area so we can include the alignment check into the trip.

Meanwhile, our perception of the wandering might be as the others have claimed, just needing to get used to a tendency that is common to the RV - or perhaps traveling on a better stretch of level road for a better analysis of handling...
Gary - K7GLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 03:18 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

All great advice. Try keeping your focus farther down the road. Having said that, I sure LOVE my Safe-T-Steer!

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote