Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-19-2006, 03:46 PM   #1

We have been looking for sometime now for our first motorhome. Any opinion out there regarding Damon (Astoria Pacific or Tuscany) versus Newmar Ventana. See lots of negative information about Damon and nothing but positve about Newmar.
UNC Fuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-19-2006, 03:46 PM   #2

We have been looking for sometime now for our first motorhome. Any opinion out there regarding Damon (Astoria Pacific or Tuscany) versus Newmar Ventana. See lots of negative information about Damon and nothing but positve about Newmar.
Old 08-19-2006, 05:58 PM   #3

Forest River Owners Club
I don't know those particular models, but from what I have read from others, heard from RV repair tech, and seen in personal inspections, I would choose ANY Newmar product over ANY Damon. While Damon has supposedly improved quite a bit in recent years, Newmar has had a solid reputation for many years.

Now, have you looked at a Winnebago??
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 06:16 PM   #4

Don't forget to look at Tiffin and National products!

Happy Trails! Jim

2006 Jeep Liberty Limited
Our Cow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 12:40 AM   #5

We have not looked at Winnebago....model suggestions?
Old 08-20-2006, 01:18 AM   #6

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by UNC Fuzzy:
We have been looking for sometime now for our first motorhome. Any opinion out there regarding Damon (Astoria Pacific or Tuscany) versus Newmar Ventana. See lots of negative information about Damon and nothing but positve about Newmar. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just run your hand around the edges of the doors and counter tops in the Damon and then do the same with a Newmar. Just use a gentle touch in the Damon just in case you come across an edge so sharp that you could get a deep cut from it. I looked at a few Damons before picking up a Winnebago Adventurer and the lack of eased edges on the Damons doors and counters, especially in the bathroom, was dissapointing. There was a much higher chance of getting a bad cut in the Damon then in the Winnebago or Newmar. They have to cut corners somewhere to get the price down so low that dealers here in the Tampa area were selling the 37 foot 1 1/2 bath model for slightly over $80,000.

Just go through touch everything and ask if someone slipped and bumped against this what could happen. If someone accidently closed this door on their fingers could they get badly hurt.

I was with a friend of mine who was looking at the Tuscany at an RV show and I asked him to just touch a few items in the coach and think of his little girl, wife and mother-in-law. Then I asked him: "If they skipped the final finishing of the door and counter edges what else did they cut back on that we can't easily see?" He is now in the process of making a deal on a Newmar.

Regards,
Old 08-20-2006, 04:47 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Double post edited
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 04:52 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Welcome aboard Fuzzy. Over the years we have learned a lot about, motorhomes as well as TT and 5ers. To see how they are finished, take along a flash light and pul out the drawers and look in the backs of cabinets. Amazing what you wiill see. Are holes and edges finished smoothly or left rough, are wires and plumbing bundled and secured? On the backs of the cabinet faces, are the stiles sscrewed together or just a few wire staples? Lots of little hidden details behind all of the cheap shiney surface glitz.

As for floor plan, you need to spend about an hour or two in the coach you feel you like. Make sure the shower fits you and the same for the potty room. Is there room for linens, toiletries, how about food storage in the kitchen and room for dishes, and silverware?

Pretend you get up and get dressed, see where every thing goes. Pretend you are preparing a meal. Some RVs are amazingly short on drawer space in the kitchen as well as the bedroom/bath.

Hope you have a blast shopping...

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 09:14 AM   #9

Welcone Fuzzy! My vote is for Newmar, I just looked at a Damon Tuscany #4077 loved the layout but the workmanship was real bad! The coach had parts of trim inside falling off I was not very impressed, Opened doors throughout the unit fit was not even close dealer said he would fix every thing but you know how that goes, I don't know if they all are like this one but it left me with a bad taste for there products!!! Just my opinion as a customer looking at a new coach

www.gsowners.com/
earljan34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 10:36 AM   #10

Forest River Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">have not looked at Winnebago....model suggestions? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
The 35' Adventurer has been Winnegabo's best selling gas rig ... Journey is the best selling diesel of all mfg's I believe.
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 12:34 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Hi UNC Fuzzy,
If I may give you some things to consider so you can make the best decision possible. This is what we do when shopping for a coach. Make a list of no more than ten items that are deal breakers. When you shop, provide the list to the sales person. Ask him/her to show you only coaches meeting your list of deal breakers. As a sample, our last list, for our signature coach was (the list assumes basic items like a generator, dash A/C, leveling jacks, microwave, multi door refrigerator etc.)
1. 4 slide outs (or equivelent)
2. Booth Dinette
3. Sleeping For 6
4. Seatbelts For 8
5. Washer/Dryer
6. Bath:
6a)Tub Or Shower With Seat
6b)Split Bath
7. XM Radio
8. GPS Navagation
9. Direct TV (Can Be Used While In Motion)
10. Tow 6000 lb Vehicle

Most of the time there are three things we do with a coach.
1. travel
2. eat
3. sleep
View the coach in each of these three configurations. In our most recent search (2004/2005), we found living area facing couches could not be opened into beds at the same time and when traveling we could not get to the bathroom with the slides closed. Visualize who will sleep and eat where. What choices to the passengers have for seating, when traveling. Determine if the floorplan will work for you.

All other things being equal, there are three things that sell a coach, floor plan, floor plan and floor plan. The floor plan decision is unique to each of us. Use this as a baseline to make you own list and decisions.

Good luck, there are many memories ahead of you.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 01:46 PM   #12

Everyone's feed back is great. We will incorporate everyone's suggestions/advice into our shopping.... Hope to be on the road in the near future
Old 08-22-2006, 12:18 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We purchased our first Motorhome, Oct 8th.,2003 it is a 2003 Itasca Sunrise 36M, it was used
with 8,628 miles on it. My first experience driving a MH, drove it home to Michigan from Indiana 360 miles. Enjoyed it. We have a total of 29,000 mile to date.

We think it's the best way to travel.

Old 08-29-2006, 01:37 AM   #14

Newmar, hands down.
There's a reason Damon's are so much less expensive than just about any coach!

2002 Newmarr Kountry Star 3566
wynedge is offline   Reply With Quote