Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-09-2011, 08:57 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Knights View Post
Fridge open, drawers open, closets open, (level ground)ON THE JACKS TIRES BLOCKED both sides, shore power on, dryer sheets in all basement compartments to keep critters out (don't know why it works but it does)
Ron
I'm with Ron.

Also here in the frigid Chicago area, all the batteries come home with me to my heated garage and trickle charger.

I did the bounce sheets this winter for the first time. First time she woke up in the spring with no mouse poop!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-09-2011, 08:59 PM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staley View Post
I have had several people tell me that if possible it is better for the fridge to run. When I bought my 97 pace arrow last year the original owner told me that he had never turned it off. He said the fridge would last longer because the heat exchanger unit continually operates. So I have let it run for a year so far.
Ideas??
If you can, then sure, why not?
I can't plug in in storage and it get's cold here, so the batteries come out and she goes into deep sleep. If I had shore power in storage I'd leave the batteries in and the fridge on.

Old 03-10-2011, 07:41 AM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Staley,
Frig off and door open. This is what I have been doing since 1978. I have had no refer problems. Leaving it run will ensure you will be defrosting the unit year around. Because many people full time and their refer runs all the time I doubt there is any harm done to let it run. The bottom line is why? It causes one additional work and consumes power.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 08:06 AM   #18

Thanks for all the advice. I'll try jacks down so no flat spots eventhough that's not supposed to be an issue with radials, fridg off and open, and will buy dryer sheets today It is stored inside on concrete with power but only a 20 circuit so it's just for lights and incidentals . Never thought a sleep number bed would cost me this much money but the salesman knew he had me when my wife laid down on it!
Old 03-10-2011, 08:51 AM   #19

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger G View Post
It is stored inside on concrete with power but only a 20 circuit so it's just for lights and incidentals .
I would highly recommend to drive the HM up onto vapor barriers for long periods of storage when parking on concrete. When I bought my RV the PO stored it on concrete and the 4 year old tires had cracks only where the tires made contact with the ground. Concrete will drive the oils out of the tires because of wick action from the dryness.
Some use plastic, like the thin white cutting boards from discount stores, others use plywood or thin sheets of plastic.

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 10:02 AM   #20

Quote:
Fridge open, drawers open, closets open, (level ground)ON THE JACKS TIRES BLOCKED both sides, shore power on, dryer sheets in all basement compartments to keep critters out (don't know why it works but it does)
Ron
Why open the drawers? I'm sure there is a good reason just don't know what it is. Also in our case dryer sheets did nothing to prevent us from illegally importing Canadian mice to the USA. We know this because food that we purchased on route in the U.S. was nibbled on. I now have poison blocks in the cargo bays next to dryer sheets. Also will be emptying all drawers because the little critters can easily get into them from the back.
Old 03-10-2011, 04:46 PM   #21

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Drawers open to allow air circulation keeping everything dry no condensation, may be them there cannuck mice like dryer sheets? . I have a pack rat ( not counting me or DW) in the field that used to wreak havoc on my genset now stays away since I started using sheets. Maybe it hasn't acquired a taste for em yet.
4Knights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 07:54 PM   #22

So far no nibbles on the poison blocks in coach however 2 blocks completely devoured in our garage in two nights. On the dryer sheets maybe we didn't put enough in the coach I dunno.. Ive heard mixed reviews on em. Circulation to the drawers makes sense however the drawers in bedroom have to stay closed when slide is in.
Old 03-11-2011, 08:01 PM   #23

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
If you have pets make sure there is absolutely no way they can get in the garage same for neighbors animals. My sisters Husky got into theirs and it almost killed it. $5k multiple blood transfusions and the dog lived only to have it happen again a year later. Yes they spent the money again and dog lived that time as well. They don't have human children so they did what we would have if it was our kids. Although if my kid was that stupid to do it twice not sure about the second time around
Ron
Old 03-12-2011, 08:33 AM   #24

All doors open (including refrig), on the jacks, tires on boards, shore power on, windows covered (if outside), and roof vents cracked (if possible).
Old 03-13-2011, 05:57 PM   #25

Quote:
If you have pets make sure there is absolutely no way they can get in the garage same for neighbors animals.
Good advice thanks. This is my first time using poison as I have always been concerned for our pets. ( mice gave us no choice ) Our pets have no access to the garage and I also put a block in the furnace room behind a piece of plywood with the door closed. Anyhow we obviously have alot of mice in our garage as they are taking a block of poison every night. I check to see if there are nibbles and the whole thing is gone wow. Hope they are just mice.
Old 03-13-2011, 07:28 PM   #26
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monacoach View Post
Hope they are just mice.
If you ever see a big bulked up raccoon at your door maybe now you'll know why
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 07:32 PM   #27

What's the consensus about parking for extended periods on dry gravel?

Keith
Old 03-13-2011, 07:36 PM   #28

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by trainsktg
What's the consensus about parking for extended periods on dry gravel?

Keith
Mine is sitting on it's jacks in the yard right now, didn't want to spend the $ on concrete pad so I bought 25 yards of road base/gravel from local quarry. Leveled it out and then drove the rig back and forth to pack it down. I have 2x12 under the jacks. Tires still off the ground.
Ron