Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 03-16-2016, 07:10 PM   #1
First Motorhome First new top?

Hello everyone,

This is my first post since joining the site so hello to everyone.

We bought a 2000 pace arrow vision 36b and we took the word of the salesman. I know, my first mistake lol. I have bad knees and could not climb on top and tole him i was taking his word on the top and he said it was in pretty good shape with NO leaks. Had a lot of life left in it.

We noticed no spots, leaks or mold when we looked it over so what was not to like or why shouldn't we believe him. Next time i take someone with good legs who can climb and look around.

We drove it home and I backed it into the our driveway and parked it. Drove ok coming home so that was good. We went back out the next day to look around and start planning all the stuff we needed to take off on our first trip and my wife noticed a big wet spot up by the front windshield. It was socked. That day it was raining hard and we went out a little late and it was dripping water.

So we find a place to park it under cover and then we take it to have it looked at. First guy says there was a space under the Marker light on the cab that you could stick a quarter under. He told us at the bare minimum that we should at least have the whole thing resealed. It was about $150 for supplies and $950 for the labor. He then tells us that part of the roof is starting to look a little like an old persons hand when it wrinkles and the roof probably has a year or two left and probably should be replaced. Told us that some people would put on a seal but he doesn't recommend it. His cost to replace is $189 per foot and it is 36 feet. I finally got myself off the ground and am ok but still in a little shock.

We went to another place and he quoted us $3000 to replace the roof. We took the motorhome to him today as I wanted to make sure he looked at it and when he did he said he would like to make some money off of us but he wouldn't redo the roof it was him.

He mentioned treating it with some sort of stuff that they use on rubber roofs and it kind of makes it come to life a little. Said he would give us a quote on doing that and resealing everything.

So after all that here would be my first question for the board, why did I buy this? lol ok that's for me to answer.

What do you think of those prices? Is the treatment the one place is talking about the treatment the other guy said he wouldn't do? I know we don't know what it is for sure so who knows.

At what price point do you just forget the reseal and just do the whole dang roof?

Will get some pics of it and put them on later.

Thanks for your time. Oh, the tires looked like new but as I learned on this site from hiding in the shadows and reading I can't keep them on there as they are to old. I need a cold one.

evilstepdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-16-2016, 07:58 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club

An EDPM roof is a rubber-like membrane glued to a plywood roof. It should be sealed with a coating that prevents damage from ultraviolet rays and weather. Dicor Epdm Rubber Roof Coating 1 Gallon
The membrane is pretty tough, if it's not ripped or broken, it can be sealed with the above. Rips can be patched with Eternabond tape that does a great job.

The roof coating isn't hard to apply, a roller is what I used. Prep is everything, cleaning the old surface and applying a catalyst that makes the roof coating adhere better. Dicor self-leveling caulk is applied to all seams and around hatches and vents. The lights, antenna, etc. all need attention to make sure they don't allow water to enter using a good caulk without silicon. Silicon caulk will fail and it makes it impossible to get new caulk to stick anywhere silicon was used.

If you physically can't do it yourself, you could supervise a high school or college kid to do it for a fraction of the cost of professional labor.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 10:24 AM   #3
Check craigslist for a RV mobile service guy, our area has a few and they can deal with simple maintenance like that if you cant. Heck, there is a local guy here that can replace the rubber membrane at your house.
1996 Winnebago Vectra Grand Tour 35WQ-P
5.9 6bt 12 valve MD3060/6
Vectraguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 11:49 AM   #4
First, you're not the only one that has had "salesmen" "fib" to. And, even when they're not fibbing, THEY'RE CLUELESS! But, you already know all that. So, now to the important stuff.

First, and I want you to really think about this. Without pictures and, some really closeup ones, it's IMPOSSIBLE for anyone on this forum to really analyze just what the condition of your roof is. You have bad knees and, I can surely appreciate that condition. But, you should be able to get some "youngster" to hop up there and take some quality photos, in all directions, at all angles, some serious close-ups of really troublesome spots and potential leak areas.

Then, YOU can make an informed decision as to what it really looks like and, what kind of action you can think about. We, on here, can recommend all kinds of work, people and coatings etc. but, WE are not there, looking at your roof.

Some will look at a completely deteriorated rubber roof and, as long as there's no tears/rips/damage, they'll just say: "it looks fine to me, if it ain't broke, don't fix it". Well, anyone can say that. But, as the military would say, a "preemptive" strike would be in order here. In other words, HEAD IT OFF AT THE PASS as old time cowboy movie lines would say.

Now, I've done complete re-seals with specialized "Dicor" coatings and, without a doubt, if done per the instructions and, TO THE LETTER, it's a ton of work. But, at the end of the day (litterally one day), It looks fantastic and, is way more protected than it was.

But, that was on roofs that warranted a coating. If your roof has deteriorated to a point that a coating/re-seal would do no good, you've got other choices.

You don't say where you live. But, where we used to live, in San Diego, there's a company called San Diego RV Repair Center. That company specializes in re-roofing by completely removing the old rubber sheeting, all the vents, all the A/Cs and anything else and, replaces any luan (wood sheeting) that's needed. Then, things are taped off everywhere.

And finally, the roof is RHINO LINED!! Yes, it's almost the same exact coating that pickup beds get. That stuff is dynamite. You can have a party up there if you like. It's indestructible. The benefits are numerous. You get way less heat, way better insulation from the outside cold and HEAT, and, it's considerably more quiet inside when things like rain appear.

And, the really good part, IT'S ALL ONE PIECE when it's all done, from the front to the back and, side to side. So, there's ZERO potential leaks.

And another really good point: It's less cost than re-sheeting with a rubber roof!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now, again, I don't know where you live but, I imagine that, within some traveling distance, you can find a place that will do it in your area.

While I was at that facility getting some body work done on ours, the service manager invited me to climb up on some some coaches that had been recently done. Man, was I impressed or what! And, that coating was not only applied to older coaches, there were some high-end ones there too that had it done. And, there was a start of a waiting list for it. It's getting way more popular.

Just something to consider.
2004 ITASCA HORIZON 36GD, 2011 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 Toad '08 GL 1800 Gold Wing
Retired-29.5 yrs, SDFD, Ham - KI6OND
Me, Karla and the Sophie character, (mini Schnauzer)
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 01:58 PM   #5
Howdy and welcome! Sorry to hear about this problem. Kind of takes the wind out of your sails. Mi agree with the other responders in that it's hard to properly diagnose this problem without seeing the roof and the extent of damage. Being a 2000 and if it wasn't subject to too much harsh weather and doesn't have any real structural damage, it might just need to be resealed with a coating, some decor type caulking and eternabond around the seams, etc. my son and I did this to a '98 travel trailer we owned and it wasn't difficult at all, Just time consuming. It took a few hours to properly clean it and prep it and then a half a day to apply the coating. It came out awesome and lasted for several more years. I think the product that I used was this stuff that I ordered from PPL RV
EPDM Coatings - Liquid EPDM Rubber Roof Coatings For Roof Leaks.

Good luck!
'74 F350 44K,'79 11' Mitchell Camper, MINT All Original
'79 Mitchell 25' Class C, 460 46K, MINT All Original
'97 Rexhall Aerbus, 60K, 460, F53, MINT All Original
Inthe70s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 11:19 PM   #6
Thank you all for your replies. I live in Oregon but the coach was originally sold in Iowa and seems to have spent most of it's time in Nebraska. To update the situation I will let you know that we have a plan.

The guy who said he wanted to put some kind of a treatment on it gave us a price of $1,000. This includes the prep work and putting on of the treatment, new gaskets for the air conditioners, all old caulking removed and new applied, replacing the light and new caulking around all of the marker lights.

At this time we think this is probably the best way to go with this. I don't know if he knows of it but this guy sprays on a ton of Rhino beds in pickups etc. I might have to tell him about using something like that on the roof.

Again, thank you all for your answers.

Here's a question totally off topic of my original post, have any of you replaced a old tv that was a lower mounted one in the dash? If you could steer me to a post it would be much appreciated. Would really like to put a bigger one in there but don't think that is possible with the layout of the place.
evilstepdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 01:10 AM   #7
iRV2 No Limits Club
Nice to get the roof fixed BUT how much damage is done to the roof stringers and insulation that you can't see? No use repairing the roof till you know how much is really rotted inside.
2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '05 Odyssey
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 04:31 AM   #8
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Take it back to the selling Stealler and have them fix it because the MH is not usable as is.

Retired Navy Submariner
2014 Itasca Sunstar 35F; 5 Star tuned; 2014 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk
SuperGewl is offline   Reply With Quote