Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-04-2014, 11:01 PM   #1

Post First Oil Change in a New Diesel

Can some one please tell me how many miles before the first oil change on a new Fleetwood Excursion motorhome ? and Please don't tell me to read the manual they are useless, I don't have the time Or want the read 1,000 pages about chassis I will pay someone to do repairs when that time comes . I just need the information on the miles of a new engine so I know when to service it the first time then

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-04-2014, 11:16 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
On a Cummins it will be 6K miles or 6 months, then 15K or 1 yr. After that its every 15K miles or annually. This is how I understand the schedule. This is based on a 6.7 ISB series and I will assume it will be similar for larger engines. If this is your first DP I would strongly suggest you read those manuals. Just my .02.

capnqball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 02:20 AM   #3

Please don't tell me to read the manual they are useless, I don't have the time

Hopefully there will be a forum member that has the time to research it and type a reply to this pressing issue.
gruelens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 07:03 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwayson View Post
Please don't tell me to read the manual they are useless, I don't have the time Or want the read 1,000 pages about chassis
I wouldn't exactly call the manuals useless . . . they WILL, for instance, tell you the interval for oil changes . . .
Bet you're the kinda person who had someone else do their homework for them in school!

I would do the research for you, but I don't have the time, either. Too many other folks on this forum who REALLY need help!
stik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 07:13 AM   #5

American Coach Owners Club
Excellent Response
!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stik View Post
I wouldn't exactly call the manuals useless . . . they WILL, for instance, tell you the interval for oil changes . . .
Bet you're the kinda person who had someone else do their homework for them in school!

I would do the research for you, but I don't have the time, either. Too many other folks on this forum who REALLY need help!
NHRA225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 07:19 AM   #6
GG1

Winnebago Owners Club
Call the toll free number at Cummins, Freightliner or Allison and ask them specific questions such as oil change, grease jobs or trans fluid change intervals after a few months ask about the other items like adjustments or air dryer maint. Its gets confusing if you try to absorb evrerything at once. I was told by Freightliner that much of the maint. recomendations are written for over the road trucks putting on many more miles a year than an rv.
Old 07-05-2014, 07:54 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwayson View Post
Can some one please tell me how many miles before the first oil change on a new Fleetwood Excursion motorhome ? and Please don't tell me to read the manual they are useless, I don't have the time Or want the read 1,000 pages about chassis I will pay someone to do repairs when that time comes . I just need the information on the miles of a new engine so I know when to service it the first time then

You should probably proof read your posts before hitting the reply button. Sometimes a post doesn't convey the sentiment we intended. This post is called " the benefit of the doubt".

You need to give specific info to get specific and meaningful answers. In this case, the specific engine involved. I'm guessing the Cummins ISB but not sure. If so here is Cummins response:

http://cumminsengines.com/showcase-i...00#maintenance

Safe travels.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 08:12 AM   #8
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
The Cummins web site has all that information available.
2017 GMC Acadia toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 09:28 AM   #9

OP, I would suggest that you find the time to read the manual that came with you MH! While you think that you 'do not have the time and that they are worthless' they do have a wealth of information. You may not have to read it 'cover to cover', but find a section about one part of the MH and read that. After a while you will have a much better understanding of the systems that make up the MH.
Good luck and proceed slowly!
R2Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 09:44 AM   #10

I appreciate the frustrations of a new owner and agree that giving you the "benefit of the doubt" is very appropriate, especially given the mission of this forum--but, given the generally sorry state of "professional" RV repair, I would encourage you to take the time to learn as much about your rig as you can. Without a modest understanding of your MH, and the motivation to engage the repair facility on what they are doing, you are in for a rude, if not expensive, awakening to the wonderful world of RV repair.....
PS--Cummins, CAT, or other...sounds like 5k is a good first-tiem change point, then 10k or annually there after....
Old Scout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 09:50 AM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
If you "don't have time" to read the manuals, please take the time to purchase an emergency road service plan from Coach Net or Good Sam. You're going to need it!

FMCA Local Chapter Secretary - Bay Area TravelerS (BATS)
2013 Newmar Canyon Star 3911, 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan - Braun Accessibility Modified Toad, Remco Lube Pump, 5 Star Tune, Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C, Coach Net Emergency Road Service, FMCA 378968
Jim T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 10:31 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim T. View Post
If you "don't have time" to read the manuals, please take the time to purchase an emergency road service plan from Coach Net or Good Sam. You're going to need it!

FMCA Local Chapter Secretary - Bay Area TravelerS (BATS)
Old 07-06-2014, 10:44 AM   #13

To the OP,

Don't worry about it. These new diesels really never need an oil change or service. They are "lubed for life" engine, chassis and transmission.

At 50,000 miles take it in (or have it towed) to any heavy truck shop, have an oil analysis.

Oh, the genny....she can run for 12 years non-stop without any service whatsoever.

Modern tires never need any air and have infinite treadlife.

Coolant is long life....it will live longer than you will.

Slide seals, pac-brake, steps are all in suspended animation...they will stay in factory state infinitely based upon new designs, advances in chemical compostion of lubricants etc.

Just drive on, please do not waste your time reading the manuals... you have better things to do!

Technology, ain't it great!!!!
Old 07-06-2014, 10:49 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by GG1 View Post
Call the toll free number at Cummins, Freightliner or Allison and ask them specific questions such as oil change, grease jobs or trans fluid change intervals after a few months ask about the other items like adjustments or air dryer maint. Its gets confusing if you try to absorb evrerything at once. I was told by Freightliner that much of the maint. recomendations are written for over the road trucks putting on many more miles a year than an rv.
Thank You for your suggestion and your kind words, Karma is a good thing ,Maybe I should have explained why I don't have they time but felt It was no ones business what personal things that is going on in my life at this time and I did look , now maybe I didn't look in the right place . I thank you again GGI for taking the time and being showing a kinder side to mankind,

Tags
diesel