Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 04-07-2013, 06:55 PM   #1
First outing and some issues

Picked up our 2005 Itasca Suncruiser for our first outing on Saturday. We left the dealer for a 20 mile ride to our selected campground and were about 3 miles away from our destination when our first issue popped. The good old check engine light came on. I could not detect any change in performance from when I left the dealer but after only 15 miles, I can't say I "know" the engine sounds or feel. I currently do not know what the error code is. I do not own a scan tool yet so have no direction on this point. As an additional twist, this motor home also has the Banks power system installed.
I am contacting the dealer on Monday to pursue this issue.

The 2nd and more concerning issue was when the LP Leak detector went off at 1:45 in the morning. We opened windows and doors right away but never smelled any hint of LP gas. I did a quick check the next day with soapy water on all the gas fittings I could find but did not see any evidence of a leak. The delivery documents say the entire LP gas system was leaked tested before delivery so this issues will also be discussed with the dealer.

Do the LP gas leak detectors need to be replaced after a certain time frame? I know some people recommend changing smoke detectors after so many years and I am sure this alarm sensor is the original.

But, despite these issues, we had a great weekend and look forward to many more.

Thanks for any comments or feedback.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0130.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	190.3 KB
ID:	36528  

osgoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-07-2013, 07:13 PM   #2
Your check engine light will probably be best checked by either a Chevy or Ford dealer depending on which you have but since it is a recent purchase, I would see the selling dealer first. Any aerosol spray sets our propane sensor off, it even did it once in the middle of the night like yours and I never found a leak either. I blamed it on something the DW sprayed earlier that settled to the floor during the night when everything got still.

Roger And Kim Goodwin
bout them DAWGS!!
Roger G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 07:15 PM   #3
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club

I've heard stories of dog farts setting them off.

Is it also a C02 detector?
Muddypaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 07:20 PM   #4
low battery will set off LP moniter
charlie 62 - 2007 Four Winds Windsport - 2010 Ford Flex
charlie 62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 07:21 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
There have been some issues with the Banks system and check engine lights. You need to get the code(s) and contact Banks.

LP detectors do go bad. It is also easily set off by various types of sprays.

Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|Full-Time! - 2012 6.7L Ford Crew Cab Dually -2013 HitchHiker Champagne 38RLRSB - Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 09:27 PM   #6
Solo Rvers Club
I put a new memory foam mattress topper on my bed and shortly after that my gas detector went off. The fumes from the topper was enough to trigger it. It is probably a good thing they are that sensitive. A few hours later it acted normally again.
2007 four winds hurricane 31H
USN retired in 81
recycled55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 09:36 PM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Bottle of wine slipped from holder and cracked, leaking and setting off CO2 alarm for about three minutes.

The good news, filtered the remaining wine through a coffee filter...saved 2/3rds of the bottle
Dave and Beth
2015 Cornerstone 45J
Ford F-150 and 2016 Polaris Razor
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 09:40 PM   #8
Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Good save dsl417
"96" HR Navigator, 38' no slides, Cummins, Allison
next stop
t55watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 09:44 PM   #9
A buddy of dropped 1.5 liter bottle of Knob Creek and set of propane alarm for the next 5 hr drive. It was fun reset 10 minutes later goes off again reset, well you get the picture for 5 hrs.
dsbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 09:49 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Originally Posted by dsbear
A buddy of dropped 1.5 liter bottle of Knob Creek and set of propane alarm for the next 5 hr drive. It was fun reset 10 minutes later goes off again reset, well you get the picture for 5 hrs.
And let that be a lesson to him. Knob Creek - come on. On another thread someone was protecting a wine glass in a beer coozy. By comparison - one should have a fur lined safe for Knob Creek.
Steve & Annie (RVM2)
2008 Fleetwood Bounder 38F ~ 325 ISB Turbo ~ Freightliner XC 2014 CR-V ~ Invisibrake / Sterling All Terrain
Sioux Falls, SD (FullTime Since Nov 5th 2014)
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 10:26 PM   #11
Once set off the LP detecter will set off easier the next time. We had our carpets steam cleaned and the cleaner started to set of the LP detecter. We aired out our coach and I took the LP detecter out and let fresh air flow through it for a good day (just over 24 hours). Re-attached and have not had an issue since. Hope this helps.
Stephen and Barb
Sasha and Bear 1999 Dolphin 5371
F53 with 96 Grand Cherokee toad
luvmydolphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 06:00 AM   #12
Thanks all. I will get the code and probably replace the LP leak detector

osgoor is offline   Reply With Quote