Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 09-18-2016, 10:34 AM   #29
iRV2 No Limits Club
I'm with the "do it now" crowd, and wish we could have!
I retired in 1998 at 51 but went back to work (IT manager on contract) till the DW could retire. Her parents died, then my parents go older and needed lots of my time until they too died.
When the economy crashed I was out of work for four years then took a minimum wage job as security at a retirement center (don't be over 55 even with an AA in Computers or a equiv of a Masters in Civil Engineering and try and find a job).
Finally the DW put in her retirement papers on Aug 1st, 2008 for Sept 1, 2008. Then her daughter died on Aug 13, 2008 so we took in her two boys (8 and 16) so she rescinded her retirement papers.
At some point she started not feeling well and vomiting blood. Over a 4 year period she ended up in ER and ICU some 15 times and ended up going on short and then long term disability.
In early 2015 we felt that the health issues were behind us and traded the very nice '02 DSDP for the present Magna. April 30 they fired her and we lost the partly paid medical and started paying about $1,400 a month for ins.
Mid June 2015 they diagnosed her with inoperable liver cancer. She had three chemo treatments and we were able to get her on the National Transplant list.
July 4th 2016 we got a call to come in the Oregon Health Sciences University (OHSU) as they might have a liver available.
July 5th she came out of surgery and the new liver was doing great. Got her out of the hospital into rehab, then home for a week or so. She started feeling worse and her temp rose. Took her back to OHSU and they eventually diagnosed her with "Graft vs Host disease". Very rare, OHSU has only seen 4 cases in 21 years and 1500+ transplants.
She died 4 weeks ago today after only 48 days from the transplant at 68.
So, we never got to go full time and I still have two years to go with the step grandson till he's 18, by then I'll be 72 and maybe then I can travel some depending on my health!
My one "advantage" is that I started at an early age. My parents rented a TT in 1957 and bought their first one in 1958. I got my first TT in 1968 and haven't been without an RV since so I've already had lots of RV'ing, but still want more!!
So, if you can possibly get out there and enjoy life NOW, then do it.

2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '05 Odyssey
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-18-2016, 10:37 AM   #30
Great thoughts. You're as qualified as most of us when we started out in this lifestyle and have learned along the way. Did a 3300mi trip from NJ up thru Michigan and return in Aug. with no problems. Also did a 6 day trip to Lake George,NY over Labor Day with no problems. I have a 32 foot Class A gasser. My wife and I expected to travel more in retirement. She passed 4 years ago at age 63, heart infection. Don't wait, go for it now so you can enjoy the time with the ones you love.

Dennis & Mary Ann(Directress of Navigation & Planning), 2013 Storm 32BH
denverh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 10:57 AM   #31
There are plenty of RV Mobile Mecahnics and independent RV repair shops in the world. I wouldn't worry about what brand you buy, within reason, just make sure you are happy with the floor plan. For us we want access to the bathroom and the refrigerator when all the slides are in. We don't need 1.5 baths, washer/dryer or an oven.

Most dealers take forever for repairs and if you don't buy from them you are at the bottom of the list. A better option is an RV Mo bile or and independent RV repair shop. The faster they get you out thee door and happy the more money they make. Dealers are mostly interested in selling RVs, nor servicing.
Sue and Tom

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 11:52 AM   #32
Mel S, a long long time ago I entered a bird house contest, when I handed my offering over to those in charge they wanted to know what it was, I thought it was self evident since the contest was for bird houses. But this is meant to tell you how mechanically apt I am, zero.

I take my unit in for all repairs, replacements and additions. MY budget included shop rates for all the work I have and will have done. And it all doesn't have to be done at once, for example power awning is a nice to have but the awning I have now is in great shape.
rsn48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 08:14 PM   #33
Monaco Owners Club
I'm 47 and my DH is 52. We had the same debate as you and decided to take the plunge now at a stage in our life when our kids are grown and our grandchildren are young and ripe for making memories! We consider ourselves retirees in training! We bought an entry level Class A Gas unit that was older (99) and in the twenty months we owned it we put 7000 miles on it...we both work full time and neither job allows us to work on the road (with the exception of mine for a few hours if we leave town a little early on a Friday). My husband is mechanical but after addressing some initial things up front following purchase that would be normal maintenance on such an aged unit we had absolutely no issues though we carried roadside assistance just to be safe. In August we traded off our "Old Faithful" for an upgrade...2003 Monaco Windsor 40PST diesel and our adventures continue! DO IT NOW! In May this year my husband who has never been sick...never spent a day in the hospital suffered multiple bloods clots in his pulmonary veins. We were blessed he survived and without any long term health issues. The first time we climbed in our coach after coming home from the hospital I cried because of all the memories we were going to have the opportunity to make! Tomorrow isn't promised and today is meant to be lived to our utmost potential! Make the memories now and if health and finances allow, continue the adventure into retirement but I promise that if anything intervenes and prevents you from living the dream after retirement, the memories you make now will be more precious than any other! JMHO. Good luck and safe travels!
Retirees in training...
RLC06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 06:18 AM   #34
Newmar Owners Club
You sound just like us! We are late 40s and able to work from anywhere with internet and access to an airport. Kids out of the house, so why not? I've also had a recent health scare which made it even more relevant. I have traveled a lot in my career and I'll be the first to admit I've been very lucky. But there's so much of this incredible country I haven't seen, and now I get to take my wife with me. That's awesome and I want to start tomorrow.

I'll admit that I'm the dad with the ultimate set of tools, so that stuff doesn't bother me. My problem is going to be paring them down to fit in the coach! But you have to start somewhere. For me, it was disintegrating brakes and a bad wheel bearing on an old Mazda. I was 19 with no money and a car that wouldn't roll, so I had no choice. I spent my money on a starter set of tools, brake pads and a wheel bearing, bought a Haynes manual, and dove in. Starting with no clue, I did the job by myself in a few hours. Never looked back since that day.

With a little time, determination, and the resources available today, you can absolutely tackle any job you want. I don't care if you have five thumbs, with one successful job you'll get the confidence to handle anything. Even if sometimes you have to call "the guy" instead. At least you'll understand what he's doing and what it's worth.
marknpeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 12:31 PM   #35
Mr D: So sorry for your loss.
Full-timed for 16 Years
. . . Back in S&B Again
Traveled in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Diesel
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 04:04 PM   #36
Thanks again to all for sharing their thoughts, experiences and stories. A couple of those were quite heavy and I'm sure emotional to share. I know they were emotional for my wife and I to read.

So we've decided to "go for it" as Clark Griswold's credo states (minus the nude Christie Brinkley in the pool of course)!

After spending a few more hours reading about gas units I think we're going to change the filter on our search to include these.

Ideally we'd like to purchase from a private party vs. dealership. Have seen a handful of ads where someone bought their unit new and are say retiring from RVing or downsizing. Have all maintenance records, pride of ownership shows etc. So the good news is we have time to hopefully find one of these that fit our needs. If not there seems to be plenty in Colton or Stanton, CA at the dealerships.

I'm sure there's a post on here that lists things to look for when buying a used RV so I'll look for that and incorporate it in the list we're compiling from a layout perspective.

We're really looking forward to this and it's nice not to be in a rush but being able to take our time to find the right unit.

We're in Vegas by the way (thus my handle "crapsguy").

Any other tips we greatly appreciate it.

Oh, I almost forgot, another reason for the RV is my wife does not like to fly, hates to fly so this will be a great way for us to see the country. She works part-time/volunteers so her schedule is very flexible, can come and go as she pleases so during the summer when our son is out of school our schedules are pretty open (other than my business travel).

Thanks again to everyone and feel free to keep the tips/comments coming.
CrapsGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 04:53 PM   #37
I'm a checklist and budget kind of a guy. Does anyone know if a pre-purchase checklist exists for purchasing a used RV? Also, what about a budget. Budget is really more for on-going/day forward, e.g. oil changes, tires, washes, insurance, taxes etc.

Unfortunately I'm really anal about this stuff. Someone mentioned what I thought was a great idea, checklists for prior to taking their RV out and then bringing it back home. Brilliant vs. leaving it to this mind that is already full of a ton of garbage.

Thanks in advance!
Old 09-20-2016, 07:25 PM   #38
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I can send you my checks lists for pulling from storage, etc. just message me your email! I don't have a list for the pre-purchase, but it's such a good idea someone must have one. :-)
macnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 08:14 PM   #39
Last year my wife and I found a DP with 19,000 miles on it for $40,000. I am a couple years away from retirement, but we get in as much travel as we can. A year later, and the DP has 31,000 miles on it.

I plan on the motor home lasting several more years.

If you can afford the time and money, go for it.
JumboJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 09:19 PM   #40
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You post caught my eye because of a similar debate we've had about retirement. I'm 55 and with 35 years of service at my company am eligible for retirement. My wife and I plan of full timing, and our financial guy says everything looks good for pulling the plug this time next year.

We've had an RV of various types for 16 years now. Our latest is a gently used Southwind 32VS. I saw that you are in Vegas, but may come to SoCal to look at RV's. There's a nice small dealership in Upland called the RV SPA, and while they do carry new units, also deal in some very nice used models as well. Check out their website for an idea of what they have (most within your budget). Nice people and no carney high pressure salesmen.

And, if I may, you are as qualified as anyone else. We all started out as newbies at some time. You are very similar to my step-son who is buying his first RV tomorrow. He doesn't know a wrench from a screwdriver, but I told him it doesn't matter because I'm going to help him get started. He's also going to get Coach.Net and an extended warrenty/service plan. In the meantime I'm going to help with with anything I can. I'd bet you can find someone in your area that would do the same for you. RVers are mostly very friendly and helpful folk!. By the way, part of Coach.Net's premier plan includes technical support, so help is just a phone call away!

The bottom line is to go with your gut, don't let anyone discourage you if this is what you want to do. If you want it, you'll figure out a way to make it work!

Good luck!
2006 Fleetwood Southwind 32v
** Getting close to retirement & full timing!
kf6ybl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 09:45 AM   #41
Wife and I have started putting together our must have, nice to have, don't need list and something came-up that I want to make sure we're not off on. We both really like the booth style table/chairs vs. a traditional table and chairs.

For a couple of reasons 1) We might have a grand-kid or two traveling with us and could use the extra bed 2) we like the idea of extra seating when say we travel to a football game or local NASCAR event. Booth seating seems more stable than chairs.

Any downside to this? Also, we like the idea of double couches vs. a couch and a recliner. Any downside to this other than the obvious a recliner is going to be far more comfortable for a single person?

Lastly, should I create a new thread for these types of pre-purchase questions or just build on this one?
Old 09-21-2016, 10:08 AM   #42
If you are buying used or off a dealers lot you get what you get. If you are special ordering then you can normally order a booth. If you are worried about a grandkid or 2 several gassers have a bunk bed option over the driver/passenger seat and normally the sofa converts to a bed.

We took out our sofa and chair and installed two Laz-Y-Boy recliners instead but still have the bunk over the cab for a grandchild.

Sue and Tom

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote