Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 09-21-2016, 10:47 AM   #43
Originally Posted by kf6ybl View Post
We've had an RV of various types for 16 years now. Our latest is a gently used Southwind 32VS. I saw that you are in Vegas, but may come to SoCal to look at RV's. There's a nice small dealership in Upland called the RV SPA, and while they do carry new units, also deal in some very nice used models as well. Check out their website for an idea of what they have (most within your budget). Nice people and no carney high pressure salesmen.

And, if I may, you are as qualified as anyone else. We all started out as newbies at some time. You are very similar to my step-son who is buying his first RV tomorrow. He doesn't know a wrench from a screwdriver, but I told him it doesn't matter because I'm going to help him get started. He's also going to get Coach.Net and an extended warrenty/service plan. In the meantime I'm going to help with with anything I can. I'd bet you can find someone in your area that would do the same for you. RVers are mostly very friendly and helpful folk!. By the way, part of Coach.Net's premier plan includes technical support, so help is just a phone call away!
Thanks! I put RV Spa on my bookmarked RV sites. Looked-up Coach Net too, looks like the cost of a premium membership is VERY reasonable and for me a no brainier.

I'm feeling more comfortable with things with the feedback I've been receiving. At home we use a handyman, guy is a retired mechanical engineer, very bright. Next time I see him I'm going to see if he has any experience with RV's. Guy has a very broad base of experience so who knows.

Originally Posted by Sue46 View Post
If you are buying used or off a dealers lot you get what you get. If you are special ordering then you can normally order a booth. If you are worried about a grandkid or 2 several gassers have a bunk bed option over the driver/passenger seat and normally the sofa converts to a bed.

We took out our sofa and chair and installed two Laz-Y-Boy recliners instead but still have the bunk over the cab for a grandchild.
Will be purchasing used so we're sort of at the mercy of what's on the unit that most matches our wish list. I suppose we're trying to place a priority on this e.g. must have or nice to have. At this point I'm unsure.

CrapsGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-21-2016, 10:49 AM   #44
Booth vs table chairs really is a whatever you prefer decision.

Two couches vs couches and a few recliners, is also the same.

(Yes, those two statements are 'Duh!' and really not that helpful to you!)

Hopefully this will help. When we were shopping for our retirement (Say vs out and about with a family.) coach, we focused on 'Traveling Comfort for Two' vs the new times we'd have guests staying with us. (We actually joke, whenever we're asked 'How many coaches can your coach sleep?' - we answer 2!). As we modified out coach to be 'our's', we actually removed out fold out couch, and installed a J-Lounge for more in coach storage (Under the seat cushion of the J-Lounge, is our bulk storage pantry, and 'wine cellar'!). We bought two matching recliners, as we both find recliners to be more comfortable for longer periods of sitting. We do mix it up, I'd guess we are 70-80% recliner, and then mix it up with the J-Lounge the balance of the time.

We liked the table with four chairs. As two of our chairs are folded up, and stored in the closet against the wall behind the hanging clothes. We can pull them out the few times we need them, the balance of the time two chairs take up less floor space. On our coach, we have a buffet like cabinet the the table slides recesses into part of the way, handy when the slides are in, of more floor space. And those cabinets store lots and are easily accessible, with a bit of exercise getting to the cabinet beneath the table. (We keep batteries, and other items not needed frequently, in that specific cabinet.) Yes, most booths provide storage too, usually with slide out drawers. And the as noted, most do provide an additional bed. Space too.

We also find the four chairs provide more flexible and sociable seating capability, then the booth, where two people are usually needing to turn uncomfortably, if they can, to face a conversation space or TV in the front zone of a coach. (Or visa versa, if it is a coach with a TV on the kitchen slide out wall.) Being able to pull the chairs out and set them up where you want them, is a bonus for our usage.

For sleeping guests usually our daughter and her spouse, or sometimes my wife's Mom will join us for a short get away weekend. We have the J-Lounge (MIL likes this as her sleeping area, or will also sometimes be found snoring away comfortably in one of the recliners!) And a good quality blow up double/queen (We went with double, as we like our daughter and spouse, but did not want it become too comfortable for longer term stays!).

Now, them grandkids can be a bit different - so sure understand wanting to account for them with a sleeping area! But, I believe they'd get a kick out of the air mattress too. (On, and amazing the ease and speed of both filling up, and then deflating, with the assistance of the great electric air pumps!) Less then 5 minutes both ways, including putting the bedding on, and folding it up the next day.

In my earlier post, I believe I suggested reserving budget for 'making the coach your's' when you get it. Maybe updating electronics to newer TV's, changing some cabinets, flooring materials, chairs couches, residential fridge if desired, valances, install LED lighting if boon docking, etc., etc. Buying a higher quality used coach that fits you floor layout desires, provides a good foundation to allow and warrant future modifications. Sort of like buying a house in the right size and right location, and them making remodeling mod's to fit your specific likes and needs.

If planning to spend months at at time, or 365 days a year, in a coach - means your setting this up as your home.

Best of ongoing luck to you,

Roo II is our 04 Country Coach Allure 40'
OnDRoad for The JRNY! Enjoy life...
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 11:42 AM   #45
@SMITTY77 - Thank you for your detailed post, very helpful. I do remember your recommendation of setting aside some cash for updates and I've budgeted some for that based on this recommendation.

I'd break usage down like this. Next three years 90% the three of us (wife, 15 yo son and myself). Trips during school year will more than likely be long weekends, maybe driving to a family members for a holiday (those who have room to park it) and wife and I would stay in it vs. getting hotel room like we usually do. On the holiday trips we'll probably be taking a BIL and nephew just for the ride, not staying with us. During the summer, I'm thinking maybe a three week trip with a couple smaller trips fit in. During these trips we may from time to time have one grandchild with us for a portion of the trip, not often though. We'll mix in a couple of local trips to the raceway and tailgating at our local bowl game so these trips would more transporting a handful of people and using the unit as a home base for the day, no overnight. I could also see us taking a trip to Napa with two other couples, staying in a hotel but using the unit for the trip and maybe going from winery to winery with a designated driver.

Once son goes away to school THEN the fun will start! I could see us doing the above adding longer trips throughout the year where it would just be wife and I. My job is such that I can work from anywhere as long as I have an Internet connection.

Hope I didn't ramble too much and this gives everyone a good idea of how we'll be using the RV, at least in the short term.

EDIT: Forgot to comment on the airbeds, yea I could see grand kids getting a kick out of that vs. sleeping on a table made into a bed.

Other thing I wanted to point out regarding the table. When we've rented and kids were younger (we have a total of four between my wife and I, all but the 15 yo are grown. One is a Sophomore in college, the other two are out of school and live on their own) they would sit around the table and play cards or games while we motored down the road. Always seemed to like that, but that was also before smartphones, iPads etc. I suppose now they'd just sit on the couch playing on their games texting each other rather than talking :(
CrapsGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 05:51 PM   #46
Monaco Owners Club
We recently upgraded and outs had the table and our last had the booth. I think that I preferred the booth though it obviously wasn't a make it or break deal. My reasons were my grandkids could sit in the booth and play at the table while traveling though they cannot do that in the chairs and the storage that I miss under the booth seats- I had pull out drawers. That being said we haven't had the opportunity yet to use the new rig much yet so who knows...I may fall in love with the dinette. As the the couch I have a couch that PO put in where the j-couch used to be. It's a full 3 cushion leather magic bed sofa. I had to have the DH make me two small blocks so that when its unfolded it is level because the feet wouldn't reach the floor d/t the step up that is there from the jcouch. On the opposite wall I have two reclining easy chairs with matching ottomans and I love the layout.

Retirees in training...
RLC06 is offline   Reply With Quote