Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-11-2013, 09:28 PM   #1

First question: CCC

A little background: we're years away from buying depending on when I decide to retire. Two of us and two dogs who all want to travel together (that's what we think the tails wagging means) probably 3-4 months per year in good style. Dad used to be a full timer, we never got past a Eurovan camper Sort of just starting from scratch trying to plan a budget target etc. For now list includes Entegra, AC, Tiffin, Monaco, Newmar. Am enjoying the research. Won't get a chance to rent for over a year or visit builders til then. Have started visiting dealers when i can. Lots of fun ahead long before we buy.

In the mean time there is one item I try to put in my notes that am having trouble with. Being an engineer I like to look at margins. When trying to understand CCC of each coach I just don't see enough data on the builder web sites to calculate it. Saw unloaded weight at Newmar I think. But the others all list impressive numbers without what I see as enough data to compute CCC or any unloaded margins per axle. What am I missing?

Thanks much, hoping none of my questions are too dumb. But wouldn't place any bets!

Space mission

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-11-2013, 09:31 PM   #2

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
The CCC will vary depending on what options are added.
Case in point: Our 2002 DSDP had an advertised NCC of approx. 5,400# so being the engineer that I am (yah I are one too) I wasn't worried about the CCC. I should have been!! We didn't get the real tile floor nor the washer/dryer but almost every other option and special orders too.
At delivery the CCC was 663#'s and ALL of that was on the rear axle. In fact the front axle was 50#'s overweight if we filled the fuel and propane tanks BEFORE we ever loaded anything or even got onboard.
Newmar had Spartan replace the front 12,000# axle with a 14,600# unit, then the tires limited it to 13,600# so when we replaced the tires I went to 305/70's and can now use the full rating of the axle. While at Spartan the engineers there wondered why Newmar derated the rear axle to 19,000#'s and stated that there was no reason to do so. So even though the weight sticker shows the 19,000# rating I'm confident of it's ability to carry 20,000#'s. They did issue as a modified weight sticker for the front axle change but not the rear.

Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 12:40 AM   #3

I'm new as well and all the TLA's confuse me. That's three letter acronyms. Is there a glossary on site? What do CCC and NCC stand for?
Old 01-12-2013, 05:31 AM   #4
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Here ya go!

However, as Mr_D notes above, knowing the CCC is not enough. You really need to know axle weights as the weight capacity is not equal on both axles.

Understanding Motorhome Weights | RV Safety.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneeyedmac View Post
I'm new as well and all the TLA's confuse me. That's three letter acronyms. Is there a glossary on site? What do CCC and NCC stand for?

Route 66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 08:32 AM   #5
paz

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneeyedmac View Post
CCC=cargo carrying capacity
NCC=net carrying capacity

There is also a newer category called OCCC, which is occupant and cargo carrying capacity. See the link provided by Route 66 for further info.

Note that CCC also used to apply to motorhomes as well as towables up until a few years ago when the term OCCC came into use. When applied to a motorhome, CCC included a number of passengers specified by the manufacturer at a standardized weight of 154 lbs per person.
Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 09:12 AM   #6

Is there a reason why the manufacturers don't show a nominal standard equipped coach's numbers with breakdown by axle or wheel? Then the options could list added weights so we have an idea ahead of time? I'm just not understanding why not seeing that kind of data. Is the manufacturing variation that wide that nominal #s aren't meaningful? Guess i'm thinking less than 1% ought to be the norm. They do design in all these margins? But then again don't understand how they would sell you one already guaranteed to have a weight and weight distribution problem. Or am I not looking in the right places? Caveat emptor phrase going through my mind.
Old 01-12-2013, 09:36 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Spacemission,
Your question in post #6 will be closed only when the government mandates how it should be done. Until that time, each manufacturer will provider the information that positions their product the best. Manufacturers want to spend their money only on things that result in a sale. After many years in the business, they know the top three things that sell a motor coach are:
1. floor plan
2. floor plan
3. floor plan

In addition, they know when a couple are looking for a coach, the person with the most vote is the wife.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 10:27 AM   #8

I don't buy into the excuse that most manufacturers don't provide the number because of different options affecting the numbers. Newmar does it and in my opinion they get a huge thumbs up from me for providing the numbers.
Any manufacturer should be able to provide the UVW for a base model with the caveat that it is subject to change depending on options selected.
I can't think of any other reason the majority don't publish approximate UVW other than they don't want you to know.
Old 01-12-2013, 10:34 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacemission View Post
Is there a reason why the manufacturers don't show a nominal standard equipped coach's numbers with breakdown by axle or wheel?
Because they're not required to do so by law, and they don't want potential customers to see how little CCC (or OCCC) they actually have. And remember, for those manufacturers who DO show this information on their website, it does not include options, only a bare-bones rig. Some manufacturers include the weight of all the options, but that's the exception not the rule.

Quote:
But then again don't understand how they would sell you one already guaranteed to have a weight and weight distribution problem.
There are many RV's where the *real* weight as it's driven off the factory floor leaves little CCC left. In fact, there are some RVs that are actually overweight as they leave the factory!

You might consider having any RV you purchase weighed before you sign on the dotted line. That way, you'll at least know what the real CCC is.