Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-27-2013, 05:14 PM   #1

First time buyer: Coachmen Mirada or Fleetwood Terra

First time buyer here. I have a choice between the Coachmen Mirada 35DL and the Fleetwood Terra 35K.

Coachmen advantage:
- Has the exterior TV for tailgating (vs. no exterior TV on the Fleetwood)
- 10 Gallon hot water tank (vs. 6 gallons for the Fleetwood)
- Wheel base of 242" (vs. 228" for the Fleetwood)
- Has a fake fireplace

Fleetwood advantage:
- Like the interior color (dark grey) better
- Bigger window in the bedroom.
- Slightly better looking finishes. (I know this doesn't necessarily mean higher quality)

Seems like people have had equally bad experiences with the recent Coachmen and the Fleetwoods. Would love to hear people's thoughts though.

Questions:
1. Is it easy to have a dealer upgrade to a larger hot water tank?
2. Are the larger holding tanks on the Coachmen something I'll notice in an average use environment?
3. Is the longer wheelbase of the Coachmen going to be noticeable? The difference is 14 inches. The ratio is something like 55% vs 53%.
4. The Coachmen has a higher MSRP (mid 130's) than the Fleetwood (high 120's) but there is a larger discount available on the Coachmen. Anyone know why that would be? Demand?

Thanks all!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-27-2013, 05:48 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
I owned a 2007 35ft Mirada, and now have a 41ft Fleetwood Discovery. My upgrade was simply gas to diesel. I am a big Fleetwood fan, but I would make the decision based on floor plan. The hot water tanks heat quickly, so depending on how many people in your family, there may not be much difference between a 6 vs 10 gallon tank, especially if there are only two of you. Good luck !

Old 12-27-2013, 07:57 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
I think that BOTH are GOOD brands. I think you are down to a decision of "which features do you like better"

And gary is right, that floorplan will out weigh the outdoor tv any day, unless you are a HUGE outdoor football watcher and your wife won't dagger you for choosing the floorplan she doesn't like so you can have a tv outdoors. And keeping the wife happy is important
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'05 Fleetwood Revolution '12 Chevy 2500 '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
'14 Ram 3500 Aisin
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 08:02 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmraz73 View Post
Questions:
1. Is it easy to have a dealer upgrade to a larger hot water tank?
2. Are the larger holding tanks on the Coachmen something I'll notice in an average use environment?
3. Is the longer wheelbase of the Coachmen going to be noticeable? The difference is 14 inches. The ratio is something like 55% vs 53%.
4. The Coachmen has a higher MSRP (mid 130's) than the Fleetwood (high 120's) but there is a larger discount available on the Coachmen. Anyone know why that would be? Demand?

Thanks all!
1) Yes, water heater is a no brainer on either - to tankless atwood water heater. - Call atwood on the phone and triple check they have a tankless unit that will fit.
2) The tanks aren't THAT much larger, plus dumping is easy - non-issue
3) No, the longer wheelbase isn't enough of a difference to be a big deal - both will drive great.
4) Everyone's hungry, negotiate hard! Cause they are sitting on dealer lots everywhere. Don't listen to the salesman say HEY THEY ARE BEING BOUGHT UP! they lie. If your budget is 130k, you will also want to look at the used market, cause you can get a VERY NICE coach for just under 100k to 130k - think winni tours, fleetwood revolutions, newmars, tiffins - all great coaches
'14 Ram 3500 Aisin
Old 12-27-2013, 08:46 PM   #5

Thanks for the comments so far! Just a quick clarification - the two options have an identical floorplan. It's kinda crazy how similar they are even though they're from different companies that aren't related.

Quick follow-up: The Fleetwood has a 37 gallon black tank and the Coachmen has a 90 gallon black tank. Is this a useful difference? I'm wondering if having that much "crap" capacity is realistic since it will stink up the tank & interior at some point. I've never really used an RV for a long term so I have no idea what 37 gallons of crap and 90 gallons of crap is like.
Old 12-30-2013, 11:51 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Yeah man, the blank tank fills up faster than you think, cause water goes with the poo. Ours is 90 gallons and it fills up faster than we think it might should... But maybe I'm just full of crap .
'14 Ram 3500 Aisin
Old 12-30-2013, 11:52 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
And coachman is a good brand, plus they are hot on the outside too. Honestly, they look great!
'14 Ram 3500 Aisin
Old 12-31-2013, 12:26 AM   #8

As said above, you could get alot more coach if buying used, even a diesel pusher if you wanted.
becks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 09:43 AM   #9

Does the Coachman really have a 90 gal black tank. I've never heard of one larger than 45 gal.

Tags
ada, coachmen, fleetwood