Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-21-2015, 08:21 PM   #1

First time buyer, looking for opinions...

Hi all, first timer here, looking to buy an RV to live in full time while I travel for work. Would like to find something that I could use for a couple years and not lose a bunch of money when I sell it. Wishful thinking, I know.

I've been looking mostly at class A gassers as the selection is pretty good in my price range, 20-30k. Have been looking at 98-04 ish units with at least one slide and a reputable engine/chassis combo.

My most recent find is this 02 Itasca Suncruiser with the 8.1 Chevy and a workhorse W-22 chassis, being sold on consignment by a dealer. 65k miles. Haven't seen them yet but supposedly the owner has meticulous service records. Brake recall was done in 2011.

#C-IS7258 - 2002 Itasca Suncruiser 35U TWO SLIDE-OUT WORKHORSE for sale in Glen Ellyn IL

Looked at it today and at first glance it seems pretty solid. It's in pretty fair cosmetic condition, carpet is worn & dingy and the fiberglass exterior could use some attention, looks like it's been stored outside. Shower pan needs recaulked.....little stuff.

Would like to hear from people that have experience with this rv, also any opinions on whether or not this one looks like a good deal.

Thanks!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-21-2015, 08:59 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Any time that I have looked at used RV's I always check the date code on the tires. Since this unit is being sold at the low end of the NADA price I'd be sure to check out everything. In your case I'd highly advise that you contact an independent RV repair person and have them look it over and check out all the systems and appliances. It may cost you a couple hundred dollars but since you are going to live in it full time it's better to be somewhat assured that everything is working.

Good luck and welcome to the forum

LSC9901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 10:13 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: MotherLoad foothills approx.60 m.s east of Sacramento
My advice...type "buyer beware" in search box and read, read, read. Much advice there!
Full time since Nov 2012 RVM#41 Gary and Marian Hill 2001 Monaco Dynasty Jack 38' 370 hp ....If it ain't broke I can still fix it.
Like putting shoes on an octopuss, so are the days of our lives....
adamfolger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 07:09 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
KZ RV Club
I agree 100% with previous post. Get a professional to check it out. You could have some hidden mold. Keep looking as there are many units for sale and new ones listed daily on several sites. I have found buying from a private owner has worked out best for us. Dealers and consignment places will know very little about it's history or glitches. A good chance they have not even been inside the unit or have driven it. Good luck in your search. You could put an ad on Craigslist that you are looking for? It's free to post.
Old 02-23-2015, 04:00 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksDan View Post
Hi all, first timer here, looking to buy an RV to live in full time while I travel for work. Would like to find something that I could use for a couple years and not lose a bunch of money when I sell it. Wishful thinking, I know.

I've been looking mostly at class A gassers as the selection is pretty good in my price range, 20-30k. Have been looking at 98-04 ish units with at least one slide and a reputable engine/chassis combo.

My most recent find is this 02 Itasca Suncruiser with the 8.1 Chevy and a workhorse W-22 chassis, being sold on consignment by a dealer. 65k miles. Haven't seen them yet but supposedly the owner has meticulous service records. Brake recall was done in 2011.

#C-IS7258 - 2002 Itasca Suncruiser 35U TWO SLIDE-OUT WORKHORSE for sale in Glen Ellyn IL

Looked at it today and at first glance it seems pretty solid. It's in pretty fair cosmetic condition, carpet is worn & dingy and the fiberglass exterior could use some attention, looks like it's been stored outside. Shower pan needs recaulked.....little stuff.

Would like to hear from people that have experience with this rv, also any opinions on whether or not this one looks like a good deal.

Thanks!
I have a Pace Arrow vision 1999. 36.5 feets. I picked this lenght because starting at 36 feet you normaly have a washing machine. Paid 19.5k since it was in poor condition. I repaired it and when I will be finish I will have spent 32k.

The washing machine is important.