Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-16-2016, 09:03 AM   #127

Tiffin Owners Club
Well, I haven't bought yet, though I HAVE located an Allegro Bus I really want. But I searched online for a while, talked to other owners on the phone, and read forums like this. Then I went to a dealer and browsed in person. I was underwhelmed by the salesperson's lack of knowledge to questions I was asking.

Then, I found a coach just a few hours' drive from us. We went and looked at it. It was in great shape, mostly because the owner has taken great care of it. Many spare parts on the coach, upgrades that made sense. More importantly, he was able to answer 99% of my questions because he had lived in the coach for 8 years (he bought it new, single owner). I am a very maintenance-minded person, and this gentleman really stayed on top of things. Plus, there is nothing quite like looking a person in the eye, shaking their hand, and getting a good feeling about their character before making such a large purchase.

While I have been reading much about Tiffins, and think they are quality coaches, it was really nice having the owner walk me thru every inch of the coach, teaching me how to operate everything, plus telling me about his mistakes/learning points, as well as all the improvements/modifications he has performed. The advice about not being in a hurry or making an impulse buy is spot-on, when buying anything, but especially when buying a home or coach. These are BIG purchases, and should be carefully considered.

As well, I appreciate the good folks in this forum for sharing their experiences so that others may learn from them.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-17-2016, 09:17 AM   #128

Solo Rvers Club
I've heard lots of good things re: Tiffin build quality and, Tiffin's customer support after the sale. A one owner coach, especially with evidence that said coach has been proactively maintained, sounds like something that deserves serious consideration.

Old 04-17-2016, 09:53 AM   #129

Fleetwood Owners Club
Survey a DP rig, Install New Tires and Getting it Home from across the country

I've located a used DP Fleetwood Excursion out west, owned by a multi-decade RV'er who is no longer interested in the lifestyle. At 11 years, still has stock tires owner relates upkeep has occurred. What kind of test drive is safe or reasonable to do with 11 year old tires?

How do you get a coach surveyed to ensure all of the mechanical is operable, no leaks and ready to go.

When negotiating to lower the price for a complete tires, what besides pricing tires in a city should be considered? I've seen reference to ordering tires from 3rd party lowering costs?

What are the expected service an owner should be performing on a coach of this age? How do you know if the appropriate lubrication of sliders and other moving mechanicals has occurred?

If the coach has sat for some time (which you cannot tell) what preparations do you make (besides a back up vehicle) to get it home from 1600 miles away.

What are your recommendations for road service to set up for the used rig?

What should I plan on loading into my truck (tools, extras, essentials) to help me prepare this rig and get it home?

Thank you in advance!

PJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHart View Post
Been through eight RVs, including two Pop-top Vanagons, a 5th wheel, two Airstreams, two diesel pusher Class As, and a Class A gasser.

For the time, each was a pretty good choice. Sure learned a lot with each.

If you spend enough time looking, thinking, analyzing, reading, thinking some more, you might be able to nail the right choice for you to start with on the first purchase. There is so much to consider that I suggest you take a couple of months and scour the RV forums daily, reading, asking questions, reading some more, learning, thinking. Do enough of that and you'll be ok!

A quick review of what RVs we've been through and where we are now is here:
2016 Bay Star 3124 ~ Can we join?
Old 04-17-2016, 10:27 AM   #130

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I'll address just a couple of issues. TIRES. Tires that are 11 years old should not be trusted for a 1600 mile journey AT ALL. Find a local certified RV repair expert, that can be rated by some locals, and pay the price for an extensive inspection, knowing before hand exactly what he can and cannot perform for an inspection. If you are content with the report you get from the inspector I'd negotiate the price of the tires, locally, right into the price of the RV. You can seek out different levels of tires but for 6 tires you should anticipate in the $2000 PLUS range. They can go as high as $4K but brands of tires is a whole other argument.

LSC9901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 12:17 PM   #131

First Time Buyer Mistakes

Ordering tires online means the shop installing them is installing your tires, not theirs. In the event one or more tires are defective, it becomes your problem and probably wipes out any savings on the price.

Be sure the new tires meet the vehicle's weight requirements.
Old 04-17-2016, 12:49 PM   #132

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Semtenn View Post

What kind of test drive is safe or reasonable to do with 11 year old tires?
About one city block is all that I would trust them!

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 04-17-2016, 07:10 PM   #133

Fleetwood Owners Club
Trust me, there is NO way I'd attempt to even take this through Colorado on these tires. I was looking the the new Michelin's I've seen many speaking of.

Does any type of special service start being needed as a rig ages?

Are there any preparations or conditioning which should occur for a rig which may have been sitting a long time?

Do most of you travel with your own compressor?
Old 04-17-2016, 07:15 PM   #134

Monaco Owners Club
I have a set of Michelin's on my steer tires and a set of Bridgestone's on my drive axle.

They were all installed the same day, April 2010.

The Michelin's both have sidewall cracking whereas the Bridgestone's have no signs of any cracking anywhere.

I will be replacing all 6 tires next year with a complete set of Bridgestone's. No more Michelin's for me.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 04-18-2016, 01:40 AM   #135

Tiffin Owners Club
Seems like I watched a video recently or read where Michelin is saying tires that are properly cared for can be used past 6 years, up to 10, with regular inspections. But I don't think any manufacturer will recommend driving on tires over 10 years old.
Old 04-18-2016, 06:22 AM   #136

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Semtenn View Post

If the coach has sat for some time (which you cannot tell) ...

PJ
If the owner has had the oil changed on the coach regularly and has receipts, you can look at the mileage and the dates and tell if the coach has set. You could also ask if the owner has used a specific shop to do their maintenance and you could talk to the shop.

I bought a 2005 FW Discovery from a widow whose late husband had the maintenance done. She knew the two shops where he took the coach and I discussed the coach with those two shops (with her permission). Both had comprehensive records and knew the coach. The previous owner took the coach to the shop for everything from oil changes to replacing fuses.
montyhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 07:10 AM   #137

I have heard the advice buy your first one small, get the hang of the RV life style and move up in a year or two. That advice may be good for some but we are recently retired and after having owned and spent some serious time on a boat we have an idea of what the mobile lifestyle is like. I don't want to waste time and especially money buying and selling RV's. Taxes and depreciation will really get you if you buy several times.

So our plan is to do the research, get one big enough we know we will be comfortable in, maybe pay a little more than we wanted and adjust to any shortfalls if necessary.
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 07:41 AM   #138

We rented a 40' DP last Christmas a year ago and drove it from NC all the way out to Palmdale, CA on a 3-week trip to see our son in the military there. We wanted to 1.) find out if RVing was for us something we would like, and 2.) see if the DP was a rig we would enjoy. Well the answer was a resounding YES to both questions; now after 2 years of looking, renting, comparing, reading, shopping, walking around RV shows and talking with numerous well-meaning salesmen, we purchased as much DP as we could afford and then some. Got into an '07 HR Endeavor 40SFT equipped with all the options we were looking for, and the floorplan we preferred most. Take delivery in a few weeks after the dealer finishes the new hardwoods and carpeting throughout for us! Found a very reputable and decent company in Charleston, SC to do the job and WE get to pick the colors!! Definitely rent one first to see if it works for you! Costly yes, but worth it.
Stinger1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 07:11 PM   #139

Fleetwood Owners Club
Thank you for your valuable inputs and wisdom all! Mr. D, our prayers for strength, grace and peace are with you and your entire family. I realized I was already generating buyer remorse IRT a gasser before I started effective coach selection. A good investment they are not. Just try to make sure you get what you want and realize value from the purchase as it depreciates.
Old 04-18-2016, 09:10 PM   #140

Tire ages. Anything more than 5 years old and you're out $3000 at the buzzer.

Leaks. Inspect Everything, have a PPI wrench inspect everything. Open all cabinet doors and drawers and stick you nose into everything.

Do all of your checklist inspecting without........without.....anybody there talking to you.

Exterior body. Blisters, heavy caulk in joints, basement doors that don't fit right. Try to visit the coach for inspection during or right after a heavy rain.