Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 04-04-2016, 12:19 AM   #29
I found myself in a similar situation a while back; you are definitely heading in the right direction with researching the pros and cons. I have a friend that recommended a book written by Randall Eaton titled the Motorhome Comparison Guide; the updated 2016 edition has been recently release. Google the author/name of the book (I have a new Mac haven't figured out to to cut/paste :( but the book can be bought and downloaded online and for $50 it is the best dollars you will ever spend. The author rates all Class As, Bs, Cs, and 5th wheels new and used based on a wide range of factors, I highly recommend it and good luck!

akbanone is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-04-2016, 04:02 AM   #30
Monaco Owners Club
I am sure it has been said somewhere else in this thread, but I will say it again.................after you have picked the rig you want, you have to count on some things that require additional attention...........some switch that was overlooked that doesn't work, or some electrical gizmo that only works part of the time...............have the funds to fix these items...............then there are the things you want to change.........steering stabilizer, new couch, gps, satellite radio, towing equipment, etc.................have the funds to do these items.............and most importantly, get yourself a good mechanic......I know this doesn't seem to be a problem, but it can be.........you might want to do your own work, which is ok, but can you work on engines, transmissions, etc..............good mechanics can be hard to come by.............good luck with your choice...................

jsmmonaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 05:18 AM   #31
Fleetwood Owners Club
After reading through this thread I get the feeling the bar is being set too high. Realize that your first rv may not be your last. If you buy something too small you can trade it.
If you buy something that has some flaw you can fix it.
We decided to go older because it would allow us to get the DP we want. Realize a well maintained DP engine will go 600,000 miles between overhauls. You might have repairs in there, but the rig should be serviceable.
You should take the advice in this thread (and about 100 others), but be able to recognize a good buy when you see it. You do this by looking at a ton of coaches and doing lots of research.
Good luck
2005 Discovery 39s Cat C7 330hp, AF1 brakes,
2013 Silverado Crew Cab Toad, Blue Ox Towbar
montyhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 11:11 AM   #32

Monaco Owners Club
Here is my advice:
Find a year, brand and model of coach you want. Understand what it strengths are and potential problems.
Determine what a good price is for said coach in the best condition you can find.
Floorplan is a great idea, sounds good on a message board.
Problem is that until you have lived in it for a few weeks, while traveling, you don't KNOW what works for you.
Hope that helps.
2001 Monaco Windsor 40 PBD
TMan59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 06:29 AM   #33

Originally Posted by ecurb74 View Post
I'm with Monty. Put floor plan down way on the list and put build quality on top. I've seen numerous Coaches with a nice, pretty floor plan that were actually pieces of junk that I wouldn't take my worst neighbor to a dog fight in....Even if he was favored! What good Is a "nice floor plan" when the rest of the coach in falling down around your ears?

I would rate them
1 Quality
2. Quality
3. Drive train and chassis
4 mo quality
5. Floor plan

Bruce & Teresa
2000 Foretravel U320 4010
Cummins ISM 450hp
Allison HD4060R 6 Spd W/Retarder

For us, Quality, Condition, and Maintenance Records are the top considerations, HOWEVER, FLOORPLAN has VETO POWER!

After all, not much sense owning and using a quality built, and fully functional coach if the layout doesn't work for you!
Scot & Laura Kellersberger
2001 Newmar 4 wheel drive Dutch Star 3891, 2005 GMC Canyon. Demco Tow Bar & Baseplate U.S.Army (ret)
1985 - 2006
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 06:38 AM   #34
Happy Traveler : )

Originally Posted by HHg View Post
A lot of people will tell you the third unit you buy is usually the right one.
right on! We went from a gently used 40' Blackwood bunkhouse fifth-wheel and Dodge 3500, to a brand new 15' FR Georgetown XL360DS gasser, to a brand new '14 Palazzo 33.3 bunkhouse diesel pusher, all within 3 months. : )

we finally got it right
The Turners 2014 Thor Palazzo DP 33.3 35' Bunkhouse
BlueOx, '14 Ford Fiesta, DishHD, KingTailgater2, WifiRanger
50k+miles, 200+ parks, 47 states&Canada provinces, since Aug'14
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 07:54 AM   #35
Lot's of great advice given already.. I'm not sure there is too much to add, but I'll try...

I think you've already avoided the biggest mistake and that's not asking for help.. not doing your due diligence.. the fact you've found IRV2 will likely save you lots of time, money and aggravation...

As to what to buy, what to avoid... well, that's gonna depend on you... I don't think any of us are able to tell you what to buy... so, if you want a TT, 5'er, Class C, Class A, diesel or gas... that will largely depend on you.. cause there is no wrong answer... each and every one of them have merits and reason's to buy.. just need to take the time to match up the "wants", the "have-to-haves" and the "must haves"... once that is done, the decision on what to buy will be staring you right in the face..

For me... there are questions that need to be answered, some have already mentioned them..
  • How often will you use the RV
  • Where do you live - What is the length of your season
  • Do you still work
  • Do you have kids
  • What part of the country do live - flat or mountainous region
  • How much do you want to spend
All those questions will play a factor in your final decision on what will be best for you..

Finally.. my personal advice on NOT making the rookie mistakes...
  • As difficult as it will be... TRY to remove the emotional element from your purchasing process. It's too easy to get overly excited when finding the rig of your dreams... emotions will blur the lines of judgement and that can have serious consequences
  • DO NOT let any money exchange hands until your are COMPLETELY satisfied with the condition of the RV.. AVOID, at all costs, the "we owe you" form..
  • Ask ton's of questions.. you have a very large brain trust at your finger tips here on IRV2.. USE IT !!! People on this forum are passionate about RV'ing and want everyone to enjoy the lifestyle, they won't steer you wrong..
Finally... I wish you all the luck.. looking for "your" rig is a very exciting time.. enjoy the ride !!
Eric & Denise
2012 Itasca Sunstar 35F
2010 Harley-Davidson Ultra Limited
oakcreekeric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 08:12 AM   #36
Entegra Owners Club
Lots of good advice here. I would add the following:

1. RV shows (big RV shows) are your friend. Go to as many as you can and kick the tires, sit in the seats and take test drives. It is worth your while to travel to get to one of the big RV shows where you can see hundreds of RVs in one place.

2. Take your time. We spent 2 1/2 years studying the market, pouring through online resources, and going to 3 or more big RV shows per year before we figured out what we wanted.

3. DRIVE a gasser and then a similar size DP. Nothing else will be as helpful in deciding which suits you better.

4. Don't buy too small. Most RVers wind up trading up to bigger and bigger RVs, losing money on each transaction. Unless you have a specific reason for wanting small, buy the biggest RV you are comfortable with. You won't have to trade a couple of years later for a bigger one, which costs bags of money.

5. If price is crucial, consider a used, higher-end model vs a new, lower end model. But ONLY if you can verify that it has been properly maintained. The difference between a well-kept older RV and a neglected one is night and day. There some good, older RV's around but there are a lot more bad ones.

6. Enjoy the hunt!
Marc and Jill, Wellington FL
2013 Entegra Anthem 44SL
MRUSA14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 08:35 AM   #37
It's interesting... 2 years of looking and researching seems to be a common thread.

That's about what we spent, and as as somebody else mentioned, we got a small class C as a first step, and spent about 18 months traveling in it before deciding on the "perfect" unit. We got the most useful, and helpful insight, information and suggestions in campgrounds. They are like the worlds largest camper show, and some of the folks we met helped us avoid some costly mistakes.

We learned that once we narrowed the prospects to 3 or 4 units, to go take the factory tours, see how the unit is made, and talk to the folks who make them. The factory tour, the length of the warranty, and what other campers had to say about their units led us to what we have today.

One final thought... When you are sitting in the sales managers office, pen in hand, with the buyers order on the desk in front of you will be AMAZED what the dealer will throw in at the last minute when you put the pen down and say something like "I really like the unit, but it just wont work without the slide toppers, MaxxAir vent covers and fans, and Roadmaster Spare Tire Carrier."

We got them all. :-)
Dear Wife and me, in our
2016 Jayco 26XD
5 fur babies
The Logans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 01:47 PM   #38
Tiffin Owners Club
Our Mistakes

Our biggest mistake was not having the underside checked out by an expert. The inside looked like new after Lazy Days PDI detailers were done, and everything inside worked as it should (except we couldn't check out the washer/dryer because we weren't at a sewer site). I have no idea what to look for in the "dirty side", and my plan was to get an inspection before we finalized the deal. However that plan fell through because of or second biggest mistake: having a firm "no later than" date for returning home.

We had doctor appointments, and relatives were coming to visit in conjunction with a marathon close to our house. We thought we HAD to be back because of those things. Then the delays started. First, the coach was late being turned over to LD because the new Phaeton purchased by our coach's previous owners had to go to Freightliner for some pre-delivery work. Then the PDI process took much longer than we anticipated. When we finally got the coach we figured that we could barely make it home in time by leaving the next day, so we didn't take the time to get an expert view of the running gear.

We made it about 300 miles before the water pump failed. Two tows and 10 days later our schedule was blown and we were ready to start home. We cancelled doctor appointments, and family were able to get our spare key and alarm code from a neighbor. So our schedule wasn't as inflexible as we thought. (Kudos to Lazy Days - they reimbursed me totally for the water pump bill, even though they were under no legal obligation to do so.)

The coach seemed to run a little hot above 60 mph, but since i was a new motor home driver, 60 was fine with me. When I got home we found that hilly terrain always caused the coach to overheat. The local Caterpillar shop removed the radiator and found the fins were flaking off from corrosion. They LOOKED fine from the back, but the radiator had to be replaced. They sent the CAC to a radiator shop for cleaning and flow testing, and it had to be replaced as well. All of these jobs took much longer than usual because there is a LOT of corrosion on the underside. Almost every bolt broke off and had to be drilled. The radiator and CAC would probably have been caught by an inspection, as well as the extensive rust.

We have subsequently lost the air pump and exhaust brake unit. No way to see that coming, but the replacement cost was way higher than it should have been because of the rust. Also, the core value for the air pump was diminished because of the corrosion as well.

We're still happy that we bought the coach, but we are out about ten thousand bucks for the radiator / CAC fix because we were in too big of a hurry to have it checked out properly.
2005 Phaeton 40 QDH
2013 Honda CR-V
ProjectPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 03:27 PM   #39
First time dp buyer please help

Hi everyone I am new to the blogs. My husband and I are moving from class C to Diesel Pusher. We have been researching and reading as much as we can and looking at the USED ones that are attractive to us and affordable. We have narrowed it down to 4 and have heard very little regarding our dilemma. If anybody could help I"d appreciate it. We like the 2008 used Newmar 3750 but it is a front end diesel and the owner is telling us it is exactly the same and better than a pusher despite what people say . Our second choice is 2008 dp Holiday Rambler but we have heard that they are all over the road and is not a good choice. A third choice that we have looked at is the dp 2008 Palazzo 33.3 but some information we found is that they have leaking issues. The last one is the 2008 . The fourth choice and the last one on the list is DP Allegro 32 but have heard very little about this coach. Any help would be very much appreciated we keep getting various answer and would like to narrow it down to one of these four. Thanks everyone for reading
tfinfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 05:15 PM   #40
Originally Posted by ProjectPro View Post
Our biggest mistake was not having the underside checked out by an expert. The inside looked like new after Lazy Days PDI detailers were done, and everything inside worked as it should (except we couldn't check out the washer/dryer because we weren't at a sewer site). I have no idea what to look for in the "dirty side"...
This is very good advice, thanks for sharing. I will require an inspection 'underneath'
b1ghwx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 05:20 PM   #41
Entegra Owners Club
Originally Posted by tfinfla View Post
We like the 2008 used Newmar 3750 but it is a front end diesel and the owner is telling us it is exactly the same and better than a pusher despite what people say .

NOT! A front diesel is much different than a DP. It will ride differently, handle differently, and you will have the noise and heat of the engine in the cab with you, instead of at the rear where it belongs.
Marc and Jill, Wellington FL
2013 Entegra Anthem 44SL
MRUSA14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 06:16 PM   #42
It will be hard to pick your last rv first without spending sometime in it. Im not saying no one has ever done it but there will be things you just don't know you want yet. I would suggest trying a used gas coach you like to start out with. RVing has a lot of variables, with never having one you don't even know where and how you like to use it. Things you think you want will change once spending time in one. I would not go all in on the first one. This is just opinion but I believe you can not know exactly what you want and need without having one for awhile, those that got the last one first just got lucky!

2014 Excursion 35B
asuperheat is offline   Reply With Quote