Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-11-2016, 07:45 AM   #99

Solo Rvers Club
"As you can see, nobody is speaking up for the diesel puller."

Ahhhhh, WRONG. I bought a 2015 Dynamax DX3 37-RB in May, 2014. It's a TRUE Super C, Class 7, HDT diesel puller. What noise, what heat? I sit HIGH above traffic (a GREAT safety feature). When cruising at 65 mph, the 9.0 liter, 350HP Cummins diesel is purring at 1700 rpm. On a good road surface, it's virtually SILENT. NO vibration either. Because my coach started "life" as a Class 7 HDT, it has true truck tires. When it comes time to replace the tires, I'll be saving about $100 PER tire! In the summers of 2014 & 2015, I had NO problem with heat. The dash AC is perfectly capable of cooling the front of the coach. Of course, I could run the 8000 watt ONAN diesel generator so that the two roof ACs could be running but, I haven't found that to be necessary. It also has a TRUE tow capacity of 20,000 pounds! Many Class A diesel pushers have hitch components that downgrade the towing potential (hint, check the maximum tongue weight allowed).

These advantages I've mentioned will be found in a TRUE Super C motorhome (built on a Heavy Duty Truck cab chassis). Regular Class C motorhomes, even if they have are diesel powered, are at their core, glorified pick-up trucks (think F350~F650). Those units are often operating at / near the high end of their capabilities. The safety margins are slim and, with the typical "stuff" many RVers choose to pack, can easily be overweight in one (or more) parameters.
NY24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-11-2016, 07:25 PM   #100

Ford Super Duty Owner
Did it sell ??? I didn't see it there ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by CryptoIDMan View Post
I am so thankful for the $ spent at the rvinspection.com

I had found a 2001 Newmar Dutchstar DP on Craigslist (Minneapolis) that had what I needed. I liked the seller and he had all the maintenance records.

I decided, from advice on irv2, that I should get the inspection. I spent $1,200 for the full deal and do not regret it at all. As some have said on here, I knew I could get my money back in something the inspector found wrong.

The inspector spent 9 HOURS going through that motor home. I got a 70 page book of everything wrong with it! The report was so detailed that it was filled with pictures (with arrows) showing exactly what the inspector found. The fluid report cam back to show that the transmission had two different types of transmission fluid which suggested that fluid had been added and not fully replaced.

I took that report to an RV mechanic/refurb guy and he sat down and said that the report had detailed about $10,000 in repairs and updates that needed to be done. $3,000 for a complete roof for starters. The inspector had also found a recall on the refrigerator that had not been updated.

I took that information back to the seller who basically told me to 'piss-off'. He was upset. He said he would have no problem taking that motor home to Alaska tomorrow.

Needless to say, we did not arrive at a deal and the coach is still listed on CL.

I learned so much in the inspection process. Now I know what to look for when I go see a motor home.

LSC9901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 08:56 PM   #101

Quote:
Originally Posted by hzjcm8 View Post
Treat it like a new "bricks and sticks" home. Cover yourself by getting a pre-purchase inspection from a certified NRVIA (NRVIA) inspector. And, if it's motorized (especially a Class A DP) also consider having the NRVIA inspector pull samples and get an get analyses on the drive line and generator: (engine oil, engine coolant, transmission fluid, generator oil and generator coolant).

The assumption is that the fluid being tested has seen some use, meaning it has not been changed recently and has not just been parked in storage since the last change.

Does it usually take an expert to interpret the lab report?
TwelveVolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 05:13 AM   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwelveVolt View Post
The assumption is that the fluid being tested has seen some use, meaning it has not been changed recently and has not just been parked in storage since the last change.

Does it usually take an expert to interpret the lab report?

Usually the lab will highlight any areas that are a problem, using accepted industry standards. The real benefit of oil analysis is once you own a coach, and continue to do periodic analysis, you build up a history of lab results, so you can identify a "growing trend" and possibly correct a problem before it becomes an expensive issue!
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 10:02 AM   #103

So sorry to hear. Glad you won out and you were able to enjoy some RVing. Hope her name comes up on list and you get back out there
Msterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 11:55 AM   #104

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msterry View Post
So sorry to hear. Glad you won out and you were able to enjoy some RVing. Hope her name comes up on list and you get back out there
?? Are you responding to a different thread?
CryptoIDMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 12:14 PM   #105

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CryptoIDMan View Post
I am so thankful for the $ spent at the rvinspection.com

I had found a 2001 Newmar Dutchstar DP on Craigslist (Minneapolis) that had what I needed. I liked the seller and he had all the maintenance records.

I decided, from advice on irv2, that I should get the inspection. I spent $1,200 for the full deal and do not regret it at all. As some have said on here, I knew I could get my money back in something the inspector found wrong.

The inspector spent 9 HOURS going through that motor home. I got a 70 page book of everything wrong with it! The report was so detailed that it was filled with pictures (with arrows) showing exactly what the inspector found. The fluid report cam back to show that the transmission had two different types of transmission fluid which suggested that fluid had been added and not fully replaced.

I took that report to an RV mechanic/refurb guy and he sat down and said that the report had detailed about $10,000 in repairs and updates that needed to be done. $3,000 for a complete roof for starters. The inspector had also found a recall on the refrigerator that had not been updated.

I took that information back to the seller who basically told me to 'piss-off'. He was upset. He said he would have no problem taking that motor home to Alaska tomorrow.

Needless to say, we did not arrive at a deal and the coach is still listed on CL.

I learned so much in the inspection process. Now I know what to look for when I go see a motor home.
I certainly think that inspections are valuable. I don't think I could/would spend 1,200 without some type of agreement from the owner to cover some of the repair cost. I wonder if that 1200 could have bought some type of warranty? Just asking, I'm not even sure what type of warranties are available for older MH's.
If the 2001 appeared to be well taken care of and had maintenance records it's very possible it was one of the best 2001 Newmars available and could even be worth the asking price.

p.s. I couldn't find the RV on craigslist.
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 12:53 PM   #106

Quote:
Originally Posted by okcnewbie View Post
I certainly think that inspections are valuable. I don't think I could/would spend 1,200 without some type of agreement from the owner to cover some of the repair cost. I wonder if that 1200 could have bought some type of warranty? Just asking, I'm not even sure what type of warranties are available for older MH's.
If the 2001 appeared to be well taken care of and had maintenance records it's very possible it was one of the best 2001 Newmars available and could even be worth the asking price.

p.s. I couldn't find the RV on craigslist.

Investing $1200 in insurance to avoid a $10,000 mistake sounds like good value. At the very least it provides a basis for discounting the selling price by more than $1200.
TwelveVolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 01:03 PM   #107

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bompa13 View Post
Once I got the bug I became blind and very stupid.
It worked out but could have been a real disaster.
I did the same thing with the Magna and it's our third DP. Cost us a bunch in unexpected repairs due to a bad engine design by Cummins and then the Cummins shop damaged the rig and refused to stand good on repairs.
Probably the worst timing/purchase we've ever made. I've told the DW I wish we had never purchased the rig and all I get is silence!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 01:48 PM   #108

Monaco Owners Club
In your situation it's called second time Buyer's Remorse.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 02:46 PM   #109

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwelveVolt View Post
Investing $1200 in insurance to avoid a $10,000 mistake sounds like good value. At the very least it provides a basis for discounting the selling price by more than $1200.
So you agree with me? ( Make a deal dependent on the inspection and the seller agrees to adjust the price ) Notice this did not happen in the one example that I mentioned. Bye, bye 1200 dollars. We have no reason to believe the coach wouldn't have made the trip to Alaska.

Or would you suggest that before making any deal every buyer should spend $1200 to get a 15 year old RV inspected? I would suggest that most inspectors could find $10,000 dollars worth of repairs/upgrades that should be done on a 15 year old MH.
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 06:33 AM   #110

Pre purchase inspections are always a good idea, new or used. However, I think $1,200.00 is pretty steep for inspection. Long before $1,200 was earned, the inspector had a pretty good idea that the coach needed $$$ work.

Also, I'm curious about the word "updates" that was mentioned as part of the $10,000.00 needed work. What exactly did it need as an "update"? Specifically, someone could say that the 2001 Dutch Star had old style CRT (Cathode Ray Tube) TV's and required them to be "updated" to brand new flat screen TV's with associated cabinetry work, disappearing TV mount to hide behind couch, etc to the tune of $6,000 . . . . . See my point? Without more information, it is difficult to judge whether the "repairs" and "updates" were legitimate. Bad roof? No one can argue that that need repairing/replacing to bring the coach back up to usability! Change out TV's, or add a Convection Microwave (as examples), and I would also be the seller telling the perspective buyer to, well, what the poster was told!

IMHO, an extended DOT inspection, AND a thorough inspection of the coach should be able to find glaring problems for no more than $500 or $600 for both. A 70 page book outlining problems? Makes a nice door stop, but a short, concise 10 to 15 page document would have done just fine!
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 07:38 AM   #111

A four wheel drive Dutch Star? I have a 2001 Dutch Star and love it even though I am experiencing loss of oil out the slobber tube. Doing a compression check if that is ok will look at the turbo and air filters. I have a 330 Cummins with a turbo. I heard these engines are indestructible. Hopefully that is true. Love Newmar Products.
Culpkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 08:24 AM   #112

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hit_the_Rhod View Post
Pre purchase inspections are always a good idea, new or used. However, I think $1,200.00 is pretty steep for inspection. Long before $1,200 was earned, the inspector had a pretty good idea that the coach needed $$$ work.

Also, I'm curious about the word "updates" that was mentioned as part of the $10,000.00 needed work. What exactly did it need as an "update"? Specifically, someone could say that the 2001 Dutch Star had old style CRT (Cathode Ray Tube) TV's and required them to be "updated" to brand new flat screen TV's with associated cabinetry work, disappearing TV mount to hide behind couch, etc to the tune of $6,000 . . . . . See my point? Without more information, it is difficult to judge whether the "repairs" and "updates" were legitimate. Bad roof? No one can argue that that need repairing/replacing to bring the coach back up to usability! Change out TV's, or add a Convection Microwave (as examples), and I would also be the seller telling the perspective buyer to, well, what the poster was told!

IMHO, an extended DOT inspection, AND a thorough inspection of the coach should be able to find glaring problems for no more than $500 or $600 for both. A 70 page book outlining problems? Makes a nice door stop, but a short, concise 10 to 15 page document would have done just fine!
OK, first, this is a "First Time Buyer's Mistakes" discussion. Looking at your history you are far from a "First Time Buyer". So, yes, to you, 70 pages would be a door-stop. To me it was a gold mine. Yes, to you it would be obvious to look in places the inspector did, but to me I am a first time buyer and have (had) no clue. Heck, you probably could do an inspection. Me, not so much. I would have never thought to look at the dates on the tires, fridge recall, propane detector, or even at roof A/C covers that could fly-off the first time I hit 65.

Second, $1,200 is a lot of money, but that was the top of the line option, 3 fluids drawn, 9 hours of his time at the rv, putting report together, etc. I knew how much it was going to be beforehand. This is also a national company sending an inspector, their cost, his cost, the fluid company's cost, etc. Yes, I could have gone on the cheap and gotten a DOT inspection that would looked at the engine, drive train, tires, but I wanted a deep-dive into the inside. DOT would not have told me that the slide motor was in need of repair or replacement, propane detector not working, or fridge recall. I wanted peace of mind and didn't want future surprises.

Sure, $10K is high, but that would be everything to bring it back "Update" into "newer" condition. It all didn't NEED to be done immediately, but some of it did. $3K for new roof, covers, vents, skylights, may be high, but that was an estimate. $3K for tires that are 'expired' according to the DOT dates on them. New belts, batteries, windshields, the list goes on. No, it didn't include a new TV, surround sound, anything fun like that.

Again, I would (and will) spend the money again. Maybe now I don't need as extensive an inspection because I now know to look under cabinets for signs of moisture, under sinks for signs of leakage, the visual stuff. I am still going to need help on the drive train, batteries, more on the mechanical end.

I will use the report when looking at future RVs to help walk me through an inspection. It will help me also understand how detailed I need to be.
CryptoIDMan is offline   Reply With Quote