Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-14-2016, 10:51 AM   #113

Rv delima

Hi everyone.....
I would like to thank everybody once again for all of your advice I read every reply in detail. I take my notes excetera. Here is my update if anybody is interested:
1. I went to look at 2011 Tiffin Open Road. Fell in love with the coach and they let us drive it we liked how it felt.. there was a whistle in the upper left-hand corner of the windshield that stop once you reach 60 miles an hour that was a bit of a turn off not understanding where it could be coming from but also the price of one 148 kept us out as they did not negotiate.

2. We drove a 2009 Neptune, Holiday Rambler, and even though we did not think we would care for it it drove very nice. Thanks to this forum we asked for maintenance records on all of them that we drove but the Neptune was the only one that have them. It was so amazing he had separate files for every thing he had had done and receipts all the way up to two months prior to purchasing it at the dealer. It was immaculate but it was 110000 so that was a little more for us being it was a 2009 and there was again a whistle in the top left corner of the window when driving it. The whistle was pretty loud and she was not interested in entertaining the thought of fixing it she said they would do absolutely not one thing to it it was as it is. It was at the same dealer and they did not entertain the idea of negotiation.

3. We also drove a Tiffin 2014 gas, same year, same dealer, we did not care for how it drove as my husband felt he was fighting it and lucky for us it was a fairly windy day so we were able to test it in those conditions. It also had a very mushy floor by the refrigerator in which we were told it was not a big deal and it was only something with the chassis? Also that we should not be concerned about it they would have it checked out.

In conclusion we did like both pushers more but then again they cost more. We were only considering the two pressures and they were not open to lowering the price. The other thing that was an eye-opener is that we discussed the possibility of having an inspection done should we find one we liked, prior to driving them, and she told us that they were in good condition and that did not need to be done because they were inspected by them before they were put on sale. Then I called a mobile inspector and he told me to run because he had been there a couple of times for other customers and now they did not allow him on the property.

In addition we were asking questions that we had obtained through this forum including the request for an inspection, and by doing so I think we already are way ahead of the game.

So in closing this is where we are we're still looking. We found an older Tiffin for a less amount of money more miles which is okay for us we are not fancy... But it was gone. My last question for right now... Is that we really like a Newmar puller, Class A, a reasonable price, but we have heard all negative things about these RVs.

Can anyone make a comment who owns any class A puller, any make, and is happy with it? All we hear are negatives so if in fact that is the case we will mark it off our list. Just curious as to why they have such a bad rap , other than noise. The reason I ask is because we drove a serrano, which is a Fred and it was not very loud and had a lot of pickup however we heard a lot of bad reviews about the chassis and the fact that they're out of business so we marked that off our list.

Ps.... we also went to a RV show in Fort Myers Florida and got a chance to go in several different models so that was a big help and also advice from this forum.

Thank you everybody and I will keep you informed we are still looking..... :(

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-14-2016, 11:38 AM   #114

Not sure what you mean by a "puller", I'm assuming you mean a Class A gas model which all of the current models have the engine in the front. We have the Newmar Canyon Star, with a gas engine. We love it and couldn't be any happier when we are on the road. It drives great, does not get pushed around by the wind or big trucks, tracks well with no sway/roll. You can't beat the Newmar quality. We have had no problems with ours other than a couple of minor adjustments.

The problem with forums like this is you are always going to hear the stories of problems as people tend to not post about their MH's when there are no problems as they are happy. Occasionally you do hear stories about problems, which at times can be over stated as the owners are mad(and should be if they bought new and are having issues), and secondly you don't always get the whole story. Some people will rant before they even know if they have a problem to begin with. For example when we bought ours there were a few things I thought were not working properly, but I did not post here to rant or find the answer. When I went to the dealer for some minor adjustments I asked the mechanic about the issues I thought I had. He took the time and showed me how to use it correctly(which was done at the delivery time too), and all the things I thought were wrong were just pilot error, and I was not doing them right. Had I have vented here first the impressions others could have had is there were issues with a brand new MH when there really were not.

Sometimes people will vent on this forum about a problem, and then you will never hear what the solution was, my bet is they just weren't using it right and are not going to come back to the forum and admit they were wrong and unfair in thier rant. Don't get me wrong this forum is great for finding quick fixes to problems or advice on how to use/operate your MH, but sometimes the rants are not warranted.

This is just my opinion but you asked for info from people who are happy with their MH, we are very happy and if we ever buy another it will definitely be a Newmar.

Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 07:13 PM   #115

Thumbs up Happy Story, So Far

So, I'm a complete newb who just bought his first RV of any kind and only registered here a month ago, so I'm in no position to give advice. (disclaimer! LOL)

I also didn't follow all the advice found here in this thread, even though I've seen most of it before. However, where I went off the reservation, I at least did so knowingly and blew on the dice (so to speak) before rolling them. So far I seem to have done very well for myself and the DW; I'll know for sure after I get the rig into a proper chassis shop for one final go-over (fingers crossed). So you'll get no ranting from me. I'm a big fan of the (very) occassional calculated risk, made eyes-open with a proper mitigation strategy beforehand.

So, I went through the same decision tree everyone looking at RVs has to go through. Y'all know the drill. I've been toying with this idea for a few years, and got real serious with my research about 6 months ago. I will say having friends with direct, veteran RV experience is a HUGE PLUS. I settled on the idea of finding a 'starter' Class A DP.

Class A, because I knew if my DW and I started with something smaller, we'd inevitably migrate our way into the mid/upper 30ft range eventually, and I wanted a strategy to skip that part of the learning curve altogether. Fifth wheels are really compelling, but, crucially for us, the diesel truck/tow vehicle format is a non-starter for both practical and emotional reasons. That might very well change in a (semi-)retired part(full)-time scenario in the future, but I'm ruling that out for starters. So Class A we go!

Diesel pusher for the usual host of practical reasons commonly stated here, but a few others as well (TX doesn't require a diesel emissions test for inspection and registration, frex). Also because I have an emotional hang-up about dog-houses up front. Unlike a lot of people here, I didn't grow up with positive family RV experiences, and what little memories I do have invoke bad smells, shag carpet, and screaming-loud dog houses. Don't judge me, hahaha!

My biggest hurdle (bigger even than Class A and DP) is limited budget. My DW and I are recent empty nesters and we're still a decade or more away from retirement. The RV lifestyle has to start for us as a hobby, limited to one or two big trips a year with lots of (hopefully monthly) weekend excursions. To get us in a rig now, rather than waiting years for something we can only guess we'll enjoy, requires a super-afforable budget. Not shoe-string exactly, but within shouting distance of it. At one point I was looking at early-00s coaches in the $30k range, and had to school myself that I was window shopping even at that price.

So how do you reconcile these requirements? There's always a compromise somewhere, and picking your battles is how you find a winning strategy (think of the Pick Two Triangle). For a lot of folks, including some on this thread, going small (Class C) or going Gas are examples of carefully considered choices to create value in other areas. In my scenario, where you want a Class A DP for low initial investment, you have to ride the Depreciation Slope all the way to the bottom. ALL the way... To the bottom.

It turns out that there is a flat spot (Twilight Zone?) between Depreciation and Vintage. Right now, for Class A DP, that is the early-mid 90's for $15-20k (no slides) or $20-25k (with slides). There are other ways to slice that, there is a matrix of values here, but this is my current way of thinking about that market.

This is SO OLD, how do you find something that isn't a total project basket case? Well, at this age all the depreciation has happend already, so the value of the rig is based entirely on its features and condition. The actual basket cases are priced well below $10k; $20k for a 20-year old coach should (should!) actually be a fairly nice trip-ready rig. Clearly, there will be some project-y things about the coach that might need further investment, and that's the trade-off, but there are ways to mitigate that risk as well.

In my strategy, that means Going Old, Going Upmarket, Going Private Sale. I decided for a starter rig, I didn't need slides, which allows me into the early 90's, and that put me into the teens on base price. By going up-market for the coach, I get some assurance that the original build quality, comfort, and features were good from the builder. Avoiding dealers means a better chance to know something about the recent history and actual condition of the vehicle.

By staying under $20k I reduce the need for high-stress, invasive inspection. It's the old saw about finding "good bones", which is more of a vintage/project mindset, but that works here too. We are in that grey area where we absolutely want to avoid gut-outs and overhauls, but are willing to accept some risk for needing capital improvements. On this basis, my theoritcal target budget became $15k for the purchase and another $5k for additional expenses on an all-in spend of $20k. Or something that fits in that profile. That's do-able for us this year.

Almost right away, I found a 36ft 1994 HR Imperial DP, being sold privately by an elderly couple that was aging out of it, but had put 15k miles on it in the last two years, including a long stretch from NM (home) to WA and back. The rig was road and camp ready. There were 3 previous (to me) owners, all of whome lived in central NM (no rust, no leak damage). The '94 Ramblers were built during the Harley Davidson years (pre-Monaco) and still used the old-school 'alumi-lite' coach contruction (lighter weight, no delam). The body exterior was fine except for the super-faded sun-bleached paint. The interior is even better; while the orginal carpet is only okay and on the upgrade list, it is entirely serviceable. The hardwood and tile floors are imaculate. Everything important works and was demonstated by the seller. Tires are good (tread is excellent) with at least another year on the clock. Starts and drives great. Cosmetically, it looks a little tired and granny-granny, but I've seen way worse. Totally fix-up-able. (I'll post a thread with pics and details eventually; here or in the vintage forum, wherever seems most appropriate).

I paid the $16k asking price and I'm putting about $2k in maintenance and repairs (roof reseal, new basement door struts, some A/C ductwork, power window motors, etc.). I spent two nights in the coach at an RV park close to the seller before my wife joined me out in NM on a Friday; we had a blast driving it the 800 miles home during the weekend, including 6% grades crossing the Sacremento Mountains. Runs and drives wonderfully.

After the Rambler gets out of the coach shop its in now, I do want to take it to a Spartan-certified chassis shop to have that looked over (still rolling dice) but I have reason to be hopeful that will come out okay (recent service records, evident performance and reliability).

I'm on track to meet or beat my $20k budget for a fully capable, comfortable, Class A DP. So far, so good. Even if it turns out I am a bit lucky, I think you can make your own luck, as long as you keep the stakes under control and you have contingencies for getting out if things don't go to plan.

Cheers!
Old 04-15-2016, 07:49 AM   #116

Quote:
Originally Posted by CryptoIDMan View Post
OK, first, this is a "First Time Buyer's Mistakes" discussion. Looking at your history you are far from a "First Time Buyer". So, yes, to you, 70 pages would be a door-stop. To me it was a gold mine. Yes, to you it would be obvious to look in places the inspector did, but to me I am a first time buyer and have (had) no clue. Heck, you probably could do an inspection. Me, not so much. I would have never thought to look at the dates on the tires, fridge recall, propane detector, or even at roof A/C covers that could fly-off the first time I hit 65.

Second, $1,200 is a lot of money, but that was the top of the line option, 3 fluids drawn, 9 hours of his time at the rv, putting report together, etc. I knew how much it was going to be beforehand. This is also a national company sending an inspector, their cost, his cost, the fluid company's cost, etc. Yes, I could have gone on the cheap and gotten a DOT inspection that would looked at the engine, drive train, tires, but I wanted a deep-dive into the inside. DOT would not have told me that the slide motor was in need of repair or replacement, propane detector not working, or fridge recall. I wanted peace of mind and didn't want future surprises.

Sure, $10K is high, but that would be everything to bring it back "Update" into "newer" condition. It all didn't NEED to be done immediately, but some of it did. $3K for new roof, covers, vents, skylights, may be high, but that was an estimate. $3K for tires that are 'expired' according to the DOT dates on them. New belts, batteries, windshields, the list goes on. No, it didn't include a new TV, surround sound, anything fun like that.

Again, I would (and will) spend the money again. Maybe now I don't need as extensive an inspection because I now know to look under cabinets for signs of moisture, under sinks for signs of leakage, the visual stuff. I am still going to need help on the drive train, batteries, more on the mechanical end.

I will use the report when looking at future RVs to help walk me through an inspection. It will help me also understand how detailed I need to be.
Good points, and you're correct, I really didn't take the first time buyer's experience into the mix! I stand corrected. You also answered my questions about the 10k. Absolutely, 3k to replace outdated tires is a MUST! And the Slide motor, batteries, roof vents etc, are also must haves. Glad it worked out for you, and hope you find the coach you are looking for soon!
Hit_the_Rhod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 07:54 AM   #117

Quote:
Originally Posted by Culpkr View Post
A four wheel drive Dutch Star? I have a 2001 Dutch Star and love it even though I am experiencing loss of oil out the slobber tube. Doing a compression check if that is ok will look at the turbo and air filters. I have a 330 Cummins with a turbo. I heard these engines are indestructible. Hopefully that is true. Love Newmar Products.
Of COURSE it is 4 wheel drive . . . There are 4 wheels on the drive axle, correct?!? You are the first person to catch that!

On the loss of oil out the slobber tube, there has been discussion on the forum that the Cummins "full oil mark" or quantity is TOO MUCH OIL! I can't find the exact thread, but members had stated that after the engine blows about 2 - 3 quarts out after an oil change, it STOPS dumping out oil, so that just started adding 3 quarts less on oil changes. I'm not saying that is right or wrong, just what other people have experienced. We have the cat engine, so I can't speak to the Cummins personally . . . And even if I did, it probably wouldn't answer!
Hit_the_Rhod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 08:31 AM   #118

Braking system

Hi mark bradley, we have purchased a brand new tiffin allegro red 40' dp. We will have it around may 15th. I have purchased a nice used 2006 4x4 jeep liberty for a toad.we were interested in getting some advice on braking system for the toad. From what i read i really am leaning towards the blue ox 10,000 lb towbar and getting the air force one braking system. If i could get some input that would be great . Thank you mark from stuart fl
Old 04-15-2016, 08:55 AM   #119

Braking system

Hi mark bradley, we have purchased a brand new tiffin allegro red 40' dp. 360HP CUMMINS 3000 LOCKUP ALLISON TRAN AND FREIGHTLINER CHASSIS. We will have it around may 15th. I have purchased a nice used 2006 4x4 jeep liberty for a toad.we were interested in getting some advice on braking system for the toad. From what i read i really am leaning towards the blue ox 10,000 lb towbar and getting the air force one braking system. If i could get some input that would be great . Thank you mark from stuart fl
Old 04-15-2016, 09:09 AM   #120

Tiffin Owners Club
A Whole Section is Available on Towing

Mark,

You will enjoy the "Toads and motorhome towing" section of iRV2.

Jim
Old 04-15-2016, 09:23 AM   #121

Tiffin Owners Club
Maintenance Records

When we bought our Phaeton from Lazy Days, I asked the sales weasel if they had the maintenance records from the previous owner. She told me not to worry about that, since the coach was undergoing a "complete PDI". When pressed further she told me that if there were any records in the coach, the dealership would have to mark out any identifying information on the previous owner before I could see them. I bought the coach without seeing anything, then got a package at closing that contained the names, dates of birth, address and driver's license numbers of the previous owners.

About the PDI - they fixed a lot of interior stuff, but the radiator and CAC were bad when we bought it and had to be replaced. Big money! I didn't buy a warranty, but I don't think it would have mattered because the radiator is supposed to be cleaned every year, and this one was not. Usually there is some mice type that excludes coverage for damage caused by lack of or faulty maintenance.
Old 04-15-2016, 09:39 AM   #122

Tiffin Owners Club
You Go Guy!

[QUOTE=ProjectPro;3023909]When we bought our Phaeton from Lazy Days, I asked the sales weasel if they had the maintenance records from the previous owner. She told me not to worry about that, since the coach was undergoing a "complete PDI". When pressed further she told me that if there were any records in the coach, the dealership would have to mark out any identifying information on the previous owner before I could see them. I bought the coach without seeing anything, then got a package at closing that contained the names, dates of birth, address and driver's license numbers of the previous owners.

One interesting thing I learned - the previous owner was turning 88 in a couple of months, and they had traded in "my" Phaeton on a brand new one! Hope I can do the same when (if) I reach that milestone!
Old 04-15-2016, 02:24 PM   #123

Thanks

Thank you...I meant diesel pullers...diesels in front.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike and Cha View Post
Not sure what you mean by a "puller", I'm assuming you mean a Class A gas model which all of the current models have the engine in the front. We have the Newmar Canyon Star, with a gas engine. We love it and couldn't be any happier when we are on the road. It drives great, does not get pushed around by the wind or big trucks, tracks well with no sway/roll. You can't beat the Newmar quality. We have had no problems with ours other than a couple of minor adjustments.

The problem with forums like this is you are always going to hear the stories of problems as people tend to not post about their MH's when there are no problems as they are happy. Occasionally you do hear stories about problems, which at times can be over stated as the owners are mad(and should be if they bought new and are having issues), and secondly you don't always get the whole story. Some people will rant before they even know if they have a problem to begin with. For example when we bought ours there were a few things I thought were not working properly, but I did not post here to rant or find the answer. When I went to the dealer for some minor adjustments I asked the mechanic about the issues I thought I had. He took the time and showed me how to use it correctly(which was done at the delivery time too), and all the things I thought were wrong were just pilot error, and I was not doing them right. Had I have vented here first the impressions others could have had is there were issues with a brand new MH when there really were not.

Sometimes people will vent on this forum about a problem, and then you will never hear what the solution was, my bet is they just weren't using it right and are not going to come back to the forum and admit they were wrong and unfair in thier rant. Don't get me wrong this forum is great for finding quick fixes to problems or advice on how to use/operate your MH, but sometimes the rants are not warranted.

This is just my opinion but you asked for info from people who are happy with their MH, we are very happy and if we ever buy another it will definitely be a Newmar.
Old 04-15-2016, 02:29 PM   #124

Thanks

Thank you...I meant diesel pullers...diesels in front.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike and Cha View Post

Old 04-15-2016, 07:16 PM   #125

B1ghwx. I agree with Dennis45. Our first is a new diesel pusher. Nice ride and the road noise is behind not between driver & passenger. This means DH driver can hear me 😄 The ride is pretty comfortable Even with my bad back, But it is expensive and the little things I should have thought of first are going to play into the next unit--😏
Old 04-16-2016, 01:06 AM   #126

Fred

What I was trying to ask is are there any happy front end diesel owners otherwise known as fred's? Thanks everybody