Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-22-2013, 12:11 PM   #43

IMHO never buy a new MH unless it is going to be your one and only MH or your a lottery winner. If not just take a bag of money out in your yard and burn it. We bought new in 2008, went full time and the coach wasn't large enough took a BATH moving to a larger used coach . Look at a low mileage used coach, much more bang for the buck.
The two of us and Kota, a 25 lbs Teddy Bear breed, makes three. Living the life in a 41 Fleetwood Providence pulling a Ford F150. Our trip of a lifetime 2014 Alaska all the way to Fairbanks. unbelievable beauty . as you go by.
nbargolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-22-2013, 12:15 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
Tricky editing...The quote continues with: "...I'm so happy with it that I will most likely trade it in for a new model Outlaw once they update the coach with the latest amenities maybe in 5 years or so."

And here's a fact check: TMC's reputation is actually very good - with Dealer Association Awards and Customer Service awards being made as recently as this month.
Here's the posts from within iRV2
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f57/rv-of...es-186244.html
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f57/rvda-...ch-181839.html
and closer to the OP:
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f57/thor-...ril-95417.html

My point is to confront the blanket and most often unsupported condemnations of Thor products that have appeared here.
I will be first in-line to help someone that has a specific issue - with any RV brand.

And - HEY! The Vega was a pretty good car! Car of the Year in 1971 and Car and Driver "bests" in '72-'75! But no body remembers that

Safe travels
the real difference is gasser vs DP there is no comparison IMHO. We had both and won't go back to a gasser but that's just us.
The two of us and Kota, a 25 lbs Teddy Bear breed, makes three. Living the life in a 41 Fleetwood Providence pulling a Ford F150. Our trip of a lifetime 2014 Alaska all the way to Fairbanks. unbelievable beauty . as you go by.
nbargolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 01:09 PM   #45

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
So sorry for your troubles. My neighbors had 2 Vegas and they loved, them. They took us neighbor kids everywhere in the cars. Of course they maintained them as directed and unlike a previous post, cars just do not rust-out in the Southwest like most all cars do in Ohio. But, remember it was American cars in the 70's and the Vega's main competitor was the Pinto!

And, Ken hit the nail on the head (above, but what's a French Model got to do with it?) My last 2 RV's were Thor products...a TT and now Class A. Both were very well made and very reliable...

...I say the best knowledge and opinion's will come from actual owners.

Best luck to the OP!
couldn't agree more...we are actual owners and would not recommend purchase of a new THOR.
Old 12-22-2013, 02:22 PM   #46
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
This thread has taught me something I didn't know...in recent model years;

Thor has had some issues with slide motors in Palazzo, Hurricane, and Windsport models.
Thor has issued a recall on the BCC for several models.
Thor has had some issues with Lippert leveling jack systems.

And finally, many Thor factory authorized service centers have been less than adequate in response to repair requests from PDI punch-list and warranty repair requests.

My heart goes out to those fighting these issues. I hope the best for the OP and the owners of other new TMC RV's. Your RV's are really great coaches. You picked them over all others for many reasons including price, appearance, and what the competition offers.

I could say that these points might confirm that buying a gently used RV seems to prove the best option...BUT I know from personal experience that there is nothing like buying new. Because of price point, this is something that Thor offers many that boutique makers can't touch.

So, I still recommend a Thor RV.

Safe travels
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 05:51 PM   #47

Quote:
This thread has taught me something I didn't know...in recent model years; Thor has had some issues with slide motors in Palazzo, Hurricane, and Windsport models. Thor has issued a recall on the BCC for several models. Thor has had some issues with Lippert leveling jack systems. And finally, many Thor factory authorized service centers have been less than adequate in response to repair requests from PDI punch-list and warranty repair requests. My heart goes out to those fighting these issues. I hope the best for the OP and the owners of other new TMC RV's. Your RV's are really great coaches. You picked them over all others for many reasons including price, appearance, and what the competition offers. I could say that these points might confirm that buying a gently used RV seems to prove the best option...BUT I know from personal experience that there is nothing like buying new. Because of price point, this is something that Thor offers many that boutique makers can't touch. So, I still recommend a Thor RV. Safe travels
You refer to a Thor recall on the BCC on several models. Can you follow up or expand on this recall??

Russell
ChallengerRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 07:45 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChallengerRN View Post
You refer to a Thor recall on the BCC on several models. Can you follow up or expand on this recall??

Russell
See HERE:
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f57/thor-...cc-168445.html
edgray is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 08:45 PM   #49

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by GULFSTREAM37 View Post
If your Handy you will get a lot more for your money on a Used Tiffin, Tiffin is Quality You can't afford otherwise.

If you don't know what end of a screw driver to hold buy new with warranty.

Either Way Congrats.

I am a Newb Myself Just over a Year, I purchase a Used 2007 Front Engine Diesel, and could not be happier.

But I am a Mechanic, Carpenter, Plumber, Roofer, Refrigeration, Electrician, AC, Audio, Video, Capable

A house is a lot of maintenance, a House on Wheels is Double that and then some.

Ted.
I agree with Ted.
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 09:51 PM   #50
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by edgray View Post
My thanks to edgray...that's the one I referenced.

Safe travels
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 12-23-2013, 12:08 AM   #51
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RStone76 View Post
Wow! I'm so excited I found this forum prior to my purchase. We drove a 2013 ACE 30.1 and really enjoyed it. Seller is will to let go under 60k, since this is our first motor home I think we will start there. The floor plan works for us now and will be 10k cheaper than the Tiffin and it's a 2013. Haven't sealed the deal but I want to thank everyone for the advice. If I'm understanding it correctly I'm going to have some kind of problem whichever direction I go, and most likely will want something different within the first 3 to five years no matter which one I choose. New motor homes depreciate as least 20 percent as you drive off the lot. Gas motorhomes are cheaper to maintain and will most likely work best for since we will be using the coach for short trips and maybe one long one in the summer. Again thanks to everyone you guys & gals are awesome to take your time to help out. Merry Christmas
Congrats, and be sure to come back and post pics of the new ACE!
Old 12-24-2013, 10:08 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by cenfl View Post
couldn't agree more...we are actual owners and would not recommend purchase of a new THOR.
LOL! That is funny and unfortunately not the only time I have heard someone say that; not even the first in this thread.

The problem with taking advice from people who own a particular make or model is that usually, they give it glowing reviews and wouldn't recommend anything else. Often those opinions can be taken with a grain of salt.

When people who own a brand tell you to stay away from it, you should start to listen more.

I don't have a dog in the fight, so to speak. I own an old entry level motorhome. If I were looking at a new one however, Thor palazzo would be about the last and I would want to know who else is putting those god awful lipert Schwintek motors on their slides.
Old 12-24-2013, 10:13 AM   #53

Quote:
Tricky editing...The quote continues with: "...I'm so happy with it that I will most likely trade it in for a new model Outlaw once they update the coach with the latest amenities maybe in 5 years or so."

And here's a fact check: TMC's reputation is actually very good - with Dealer Association Awards and Customer Service awards being made as recently as this month.
Here's the posts from within iRV2
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f57/rv-of...es-186244.html
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f57/rvda-...ch-181839.html
and closer to the OP:
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f57/thor-...ril-95417.html

My point is to confront the blanket and most often unsupported condemnations of Thor products that have appeared here.
I will be first in-line to help someone that has a specific issue - with any RV brand.

And - HEY! The Vega was a pretty good car! Car of the Year in 1971 and Car and Driver "bests" in '72-'75! But no body remembers that

Safe travels
No sir, not tricky at all. I made sure to capture the complete thought from the writer. The fact that later on he stated how happy he was with a coach put together so badly that he had to be extra gentle with everything doesn't change the fact that the build quality on his was obviously garbage. It just means that for him, the flash and appeal of the Thor outweighed the build quality issues. I can't completely discount that even though I feel differently.

You kinda re-itereated my point with the Vega analogy. Those cars were built like garbage yet the publications gushed about how great of cars they were at the time. Kinda ironic after referencing those publications giving high honors to the Thor company.
Old 12-24-2013, 12:53 PM   #54
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwell View Post
No sir, not tricky at all. I made sure to capture the complete thought from the writer. The fact that later on he stated how happy he was with a coach put together so badly that he had to be extra gentle with everything doesn't change the fact that the build quality on his was obviously garbage. It just means that for him, the flash and appeal of the Thor outweighed the build quality issues. I can't completely discount that even though I feel differently.

You kinda re-itereated my point with the Vega analogy. Those cars were built like garbage yet the publications gushed about how great of cars they were at the time. Kinda ironic after referencing those publications giving high honors to the Thor company.
Yes sir, you are quite eloquent in making your point and do so with excellent writing skills.
But, the complete thought from the author included all points in the sentence.

The author - a long time Toy Hauler owner - who now owns a Thor Challenger - was explaining how the high quality materials and the fit and finish of his RV was worth protecting. This because many older Toy Haulers are built for abuse with diamond plate cabinets and metal countertops...but that is rather hard to live with everyday.
BTW, The Outlaw is NOT known for having "flash" or "glitz" and of course the build quality is FAR FROM garbage.

And reading the complete opening post, the reader sees that the author was creating a thread because he was so disappointed that the only comments he ever read on-line about individual models of all brands, were negative. He's on iRV2 - ask him yourself.

And, the Vega...I have no dog in that fight - only experiences. The Vega was a well built and "stylish" car for that period. I would guess that any car of that time could be described as junk. Imports were ugly, cramped and under powered. European cars were expensive and had electrical problems right at the dealership (plus mechanical issues). And, American cars were burdened with SMOG equipment that killed the engines before their time.

Safe travels to all and Happy Holiday's
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 12-24-2013, 03:35 PM   #55

Well I'm here with my family for Christmas in Washington DC. After meeting with my uncle who has owned a diesel pusher "holiday rambler" for years I am now leaning back more toward the Tiffin. We have scheduled a meeting with the owner of the Tiffin and will be reviewing it over next weekend. I will let everyone know when we make a final decision. My uncle has made the point that even though it's a 2008 the Tiffin would be a better purchase because it's better built and will last even longer than 2013 ACE. He also made mention that since the Tiffin is 36 feet and the ACE is 30 FEET people almost always move up to get more coach. I realize that many people in this forum had already made. Well who knows maybe Santa bring me something tonight very Christmas everyone
RStone76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 09:38 PM   #56

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwell View Post

LOL

I don't have a dog in the fight, so to speak. I own an old entry level motorhome. If I were looking at a new one however, Thor palazzo would be about the last and I would want to know who else is putting those god awful lipert Schwintek motors on their slides.
I've no idea who made my slide almost 9 years and I push the button one way to make it go out and the other way to make it go in. I haven't had any need to know who nade the slide motor.
Damon or Thor make just as good of a motorhome as any body else and you don't hear about people trying to make a reservation 6 months in advance at Camp Thor to get their box fixed like you do with many other brands
Denver, Colorado
max49 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a, diesel, gas, thor, tiffin