Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-20-2013, 01:15 PM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwell View Post
From the OP on that link you provided:

"As far as the craftsmanship of the coach, I find it to be directly in line with the cost and although it was built with using expensive materials, I have learned to treat it with care and a gentle touch."

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Thor makes tons of RVs and I think is the number one manufacturer right now? That's great that you have had a positive trouble free experience with your Damon. They have the reputation that they have, you just gotta live with it. It may very well be deserved even though you had no problems with yours.

My family had a Chevy Vega back in the 70s. We had no serious problems with it but that didn't mean it was a great model. Nor did it mean all Chevys were garbage.

There is a lot of junk out there and it is usually on its way from the factory to the dealer waiting on an owner to get the problems sorted out.
Tricky editing...The quote continues with: "...I'm so happy with it that I will most likely trade it in for a new model Outlaw once they update the coach with the latest amenities maybe in 5 years or so."

And here's a fact check: TMC's reputation is actually very good - with Dealer Association Awards and Customer Service awards being made as recently as this month.
Here's the posts from within iRV2
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f57/rv-of...es-186244.html
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f57/rvda-...ch-181839.html
and closer to the OP:
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f57/thor-...ril-95417.html

My point is to confront the blanket and most often unsupported condemnations of Thor products that have appeared here.
I will be first in-line to help someone that has a specific issue - with any RV brand.

And - HEY! The Vega was a pretty good car! Car of the Year in 1971 and Car and Driver "bests" in '72-'75! But no body remembers that

Safe travels
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-20-2013, 02:00 PM   #30

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
And - HEY! The Vega was a pretty good car! Car of the Year in 1971 and Car and Driver "bests" in '72-'75! But no body remembers that

Safe travels
Those awards were given when the cars were new. No mention of one year later when rust holes appeared everywhere, engine burned oil, many overheated or failed. They were cranking them out so fast (73 - 100 per HOUR) dealers had to do final inspections and repairs. I tried to help a non-mechanically inclined friend's Vega running, but when he had to duct-tape the headlights into the fenders we junked it.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 02:26 PM   #31

If the OP is like many of us, he will trade into something he likes better in a couple years. You may not think so now, but wait and see. With that possiblity, consider what the value of a two year old gas Thor will be worth as compared to an 8 year old Tiffin diesel. I suspect the Thor will depreciate considerably more due to 1st and 2nd year loss. This should be in the back of your mind when you make your choice.

FWIW, I am on the third "Last" MH I will ever buy.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 02:58 PM   #32

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I'm always amazed at the superiority complex of the Tiffen Fan Club even though they are made with the same parts as other MHs. Unlike most MH owners, Tiffen owners actually immensely enjoy taking their vacation at Camp Bob Tiffen getting their coaches fixed.
Maybe it's a Jeep, oops I mean a Tiffen thing, I would'nt understand

I sure am not impressed with having to travel across the country and spend my vacation getting the MH worked on.
Denver, Colorado
max49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 03:42 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by max49 View Post
I'm always amazed at the superiority complex of the Tiffen Fan Club even though they are made with the same parts as other MHs. Unlike most MH owners, Tiffen owners actually immensely enjoy taking their vacation at Camp Bob Tiffen getting their coaches fixed.
Maybe it's a Jeep, oops I mean a Tiffen thing, I would'nt understand

I sure am not impressed with having to travel across the country and spend my vacation getting the MH worked on.
Not sure if this was directed to me because I own an Allegro Bus or not. I probably should have asked the OP to compare the value of a two year old Thor gas to an 8 year old diesel MH. FWIW, In 10 years of being a Tiffin owner, I have been to Red Bay one time seven years ago. Went there on our way to the Dragons Tail for a motorcycle trip.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 03:58 PM   #34

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My Thor is junk. The Tiffin quality is far superior from what I have seen.
tanstaafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 04:00 PM   #35

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
Not sure if this was directed to me
It was not directed to any single Tiffen owner. Tiffen has many very loyal customers just like Jeep owners. But I have never been back to where they made my Damon or my Jeep to get it fixed and I would'nt brag about it if I did.

OBTW, The Tiffen and the Thor the OP is considering are apples and oranges, in this case I would probably go with the Tiffen, but it is a lot bigger, more expensive maintenance and it seems to be a personal choice,
Denver, Colorado
max49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 06:46 PM   #36

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My BIL has 2011 Tiffin and has had many more problems than I have had with my 2008 Windsport. You can get a bad one in any brand. Go with the floor plan that works for you.
Old 12-20-2013, 09:29 PM   #37

Thanks everyone

Wow! I'm so excited I found this forum prior to my purchase. We drove a 2013 ACE 30.1 and really enjoyed it. Seller is will to let go under 60k, since this is our first motor home I think we will start there. The floor plan works for us now and will be 10k cheaper than the Tiffin and it's a 2013. Haven't sealed the deal but I want to thank everyone for the advice. If I'm understanding it correctly I'm going to have some kind of problem whichever direction I go, and most likely will want something different within the first 3 to five years no matter which one I choose. New motor homes depreciate as least 20 percent as you drive off the lot. Gas motorhomes are cheaper to maintain and will most likely work best for since we will be using the coach for short trips and maybe one long one in the summer. Again thanks to everyone you guys & gals are awesome to take your time to help out. Merry Christmas
RStone76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 07:01 AM   #38

RStone, Merry Christmas to you and to your family. Good Luck moving forward on the Thor, we all are sure you'll love it. When you pull the trigger on it keep us posted on your adventures.

Merry Christmas too to all my good friends on iRV2!
vincee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 07:13 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post

Safe travels
I would seriously question the opinions and judgement of someone who claims the Chevy Vega was a "pretty good car". We had a new one in the family in 1972 and it lasted a year before it used more oil than gasoline. It was total junk in real life, regardless of what any magazine got paid to say about it
datrbone8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 07:43 AM   #40
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
You have to be careful with internet opinions because, many of the folks think they are "French models" and it has to be true if it is posted on the Internet. A lot of the posted opinions are based on their one and only RV experience. You need to look at a general cross section of RVers that have owned more than one brand.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 10:38 AM   #41

Fleetwood Owners Club
RStone, go with what YOU like, you are the one that will be paying for it. There are many different coaches on the road and we have found our that since we have bought and owned 3 coaches in 4 years, have learned a LOT and talked to many,many RVers but when it came to selecting our present coach, it came down to floorplan and I wanted full body paint. We did rule out DP for several reason.

1. Like I said in my earlier post when this thread was started, have taked to people that owned one plus the people who work on them for a living. DP like to be drove and if you are not going to put on a lot of miles, save your money.

2. If this is going to be your first coach, then most likely you will move up later but in the mean time, enjoy, and you will know what to look for when u decide to move up. I know we sure did.

Our first coach was a 1997 fleetwood storm, with no slides 25' a year later we moved up to a 2002 national seabreeze, 30' with one large slide. 2 months ago we pulled a trigger on a new 2013 Fleetwood, 36' with 3 slides. The point I am trying to make is overtime, you will know what you wish you had of bought and when you get that newer one, it will be perfect.

Good luck and have a great holiday.
BarryN514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 11:16 AM   #42
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by datrbone8 View Post
I would seriously question the opinions and judgement of someone who claims the Chevy Vega was a "pretty good car". We had a new one in the family in 1972 and it lasted a year before it used more oil than gasoline. It was total junk in real life, regardless of what any magazine got paid to say about it
So sorry for your troubles. My neighbors had 2 Vegas and they loved, them. They took us neighbor kids everywhere in the cars. Of course they maintained them as directed and unlike a previous post, cars just do not rust-out in the Southwest like most all cars do in Ohio. But, remember it was American cars in the 70's and the Vega's main competitor was the Pinto!

And, Ken hit the nail on the head (above, but what's a French Model got to do with it?) My last 2 RV's were Thor products...a TT and now Class A. Both were very well made and very reliable...

...I say the best knowledge and opinion's will come from actual owners.

Best luck to the OP!
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a, diesel, gas, thor, tiffin