Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-10-2012, 11:00 AM   #15

kgpick, Since your original post mentioned that you were willing to spend 39K on the used C, I would look around for a nice A class as there are many rigs out there in that price range that fill your needs. I think a class A would be a better fit in comfort going from the roominess that 5'ers provide. I also believe that at least one slide adds a tremendous amount of extra stretch out space and at the price you spoke of there should be no reason not to be able to find a nice A with one or more. One last point, I would not buy an A (or any other RV for that matter) without hydraulic leveling jacks. There is nothing better when pulling into a campground late at night than pressing a button or two and having your rig nice and level vs. using plastic blocks (Legos anyone?) or boards to get level.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-10-2012, 12:56 PM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVJ58
Nothing wrong with a non-slide coach. Our first coach was a used 1984 34' Airstream we had for 5 years and enjoyed every minute with it.

Of course we now have a 2000 double slide coach and are pleased with it as well. One benefit of a non-slide coach is there's one less item to repair if it malfunctions.

Bottom line, get the coach you like and can afford, as you'll have as much fun with it as folks with larger more expensive coaches.

Best of luck with finding the coach that suits your needs and do let us know your final choice..

P.S. Whatever coach you decide on, be sure to take it for a good test drive before signing on the ..............line and/or paying out the $$$$
before even reading the rest of this.....

Our 4 slide 40' DP is HUGE. We have a solid 6 feet of open floor space up front! People come in to look at her and say "Holy @hit. this thing is big!!!"
Those who say a no slide coach is big enough either:
Have never had a coach with slides
or
have a no slide coach for sale.

Almost anything 1999 or newer will have at least one slide.
watch out for "short queen" beds, get a full length queen.

A DP will give you a much smoother, quieter ride (the engine is 35 feet behind you, not at your feet!) and to me, it is absolutely worth it.

A big C (30+ foot) is competitive with most gas class A's, with the big plus of the large bed area over the cab, this is a biggie if you have a near-teenager traveling with you.

Old 09-10-2012, 12:57 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by kb0zke
We've been researching for a couple of years now, and have decided that our full-time coach will be a DP with no slides. Yes, the slides add interior room, but at a cost of added weight, complexity, and storage space.

We had a C when the kids were junior-high age, and it more or less worked, but we used it only for vacations. I've not driven a DP, but I have driven more than one school bus (with kids aboard). I'd rather drive the bus than the van. I'm thinking that the DP will actually be easier to drive, since it is basically a big box. You can see all four corners and you sit up higher.
the 4 slides in our rr8r monaco chassis'd motorhome take away NO storage, tho i do bump my head once in a while
Old 09-11-2012, 08:47 AM   #18

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Thanks so much for the great comments. I am now talking with a person about an '06 Four Winds Hurricane 31d with 1 slide, Ford V-10, Levelers, backup camera and 19k miles. I am close with them on numbers and of course will go down and drive it and also the deal will include new tires.
Old 09-11-2012, 09:16 AM   #19

Slide or no slide, just be sure you are happy with the floorplan. To each his own. I have had 2 "C"'s with slides and an "A" without. I had no problem not, having a slide after having one in our first "C". They are nice and add extra space and maybe a "must have" for full timing, but for the short camping trips or vacation runs, a non slide is fine. You have to be happy with it.
Sounds like the one your looking at now, might be a good deal. They are an entry level "A"...
John H... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 09:21 AM   #20

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks. I would like some thoughts on the Four Winds "A" motor homes like this as far as past experience on quality etc.
Old 09-12-2012, 10:03 AM   #21

IMO Four Winds had a much better reputation back in the mid 2000's than they do now. I am sure there will be many Hurricane owners chiming in about the enjoyment they got from there FW's. Go over everthing, good long test ride, crawl under it on a creeper and you'll know in not to much time if its "the one", but it sounds like it just might be. Good Luck!
Old 09-26-2012, 02:53 PM   #22

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Looking at a Holiday Rambler

Hello again. I am now looking at a 2005 Holiday Rambler Admiral 30pdd. I do like the size and floor plan, It has the Workhorse chassis with the 8.1 Chevy and 2 slides. It looks like a big jump above the 2006 Hurricane I almost traded for. Nothing wrong with the Hurricane but the HR looks like a better quality for about the same $. Any HR owners out there or others have suggestions?
Old 09-27-2012, 11:00 AM   #23

Though I never owned a HR, I have gone through many and IMO that is definitely an upgrade to the Hurricane with everything else being equal. More experienced owners will comment I'm sure but make sure you check the brakes out because Workhorse had a real problem with brakes back then. Type a search on this forum or Google on Workhorse Brakes.
Old 09-27-2012, 02:14 PM   #24

Definitely, the HR trumps the Hurricane, hands DOWN!
Old 10-21-2012, 03:43 PM   #25

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Well I bought the 2005 HR 30pdd and brought it home. It drove pretty good as this was my first time driving one any real distance. The computer said it averaged 10.4 for the 350 miles running at 62. I was pleased with that but have been spending a lot of time on getting familiar with it and servicing ignored items. It is built on the Workhorse P32 chassis. Any and all advice on maintenance etc will be appreciated. I don't care for the braking and know Workhorse had issues with brakes but the owner(who bought it knew) says he never received any recall notices. Otherwise we are pleased with it so far.
kgpick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 04:35 PM   #26

Country Coach Owners Club
Go to RV.org buy their product, read it ALL then go to their rating site pick your models that you are interested in and then go to oodle.com and search for what you're looking for. it searches all over the internet and then will mail you daily updates.
This will be the best investment you make in your rv purchase.
Old 10-21-2012, 07:50 PM   #27

With a $39k budget, the world is your oyster. Either a smaller, newer unit, or even a 36ft+ unit w/slides from the early 2000s. 30ft is a good starter.....but once you get a taste, you'll want to go bigger (they all do) haha.

Good luck with it.
Jon Mopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 08:13 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgpick View Post
Well I bought the 2005 HR 30pdd and brought it home. It drove pretty good as this was my first time driving one any real distance. The computer said it averaged 10.4 for the 350 miles running at 62. I was pleased with that but have been spending a lot of time on getting familiar with it and servicing ignored items. It is built on the Workhorse P32 chassis. Any and all advice on maintenance etc will be appreciated. I don't care for the braking and know Workhorse had issues with brakes but the owner(who bought it knew) says he never received any recall notices. Otherwise we are pleased with it so far.
Congrats on the purchase and I hope it works out for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumper9x9 View Post
Go to RV.org buy their product, read it ALL then go to their rating site pick your models that you are interested in and then go to oodle.com and search for what you're looking for. it searches all over the internet and then will mail you daily updates.
This will be the best investment you make in your rv purchase.
At this point, it would be a waste of money.

Tags
motorhome