Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-24-2012, 02:28 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
First Time Motorhome

Hello everyone. This is my first time posting so here goes. I am looking at purchasing an "A" class or "C"used motorhome and am drawn to Winnebago because of the reputation. I have found a 2009 Chalet rental with 37k miles and it sounds pretty decent. They are asking $39,000. It does not have an awning and they will add that for $1100. I have a 5th wheel now but we would like the motorhome for traveling we think. A "C" class may do as well but what are some pros and cons on these and does the Chalet deal sound ok?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-24-2012, 03:06 PM   #2

The good thing about Class 'C' MH's is that they are easy to drive. One of the Class 'C' MH that we bought was a rental. We got it at a GOOD price and it was well maintained. It worked good for us until we could upgrade. Have you looked at the blue book as a starting place for price? Do they have all of the maintenance record for you to review? If I remember correctly the Chalet line is the basic, no frills MH. Does it have a slide out, generator and what condition are the batteries in? Take a good lok at the under side for any issues that may need to be addressed prior to you purchasing it. What do the tires look like?
I would try to get the price down as low as I could. Good luck.

R2Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 10:40 AM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks R2

The Chalet I am looking at is an "A" class and is a 30 ft coach. It does have 1 slide and generator but no leveling jacks. I have only seen pictures so far and they say they have all the maintenance records. They say all tires are the original except one and they have no dry rot but will work with me if I want new tires. Yeah! I am sure that a "C" would be easier to drive and my wife would probably be up to that so we will look at them also. Thanks for responding and I am open to any suggestions or tips. I do most all my maintenance on my vehicles but a motorhome is a lot more moving stuff to keep up.
Old 08-25-2012, 10:46 AM   #4

Personally my choice would be a class A, and of course we have one. Brand preference would be either a Newmar, Tiffin or Thor product if I were considering buying a newer coach.

Good luck with your choice,

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 11:06 AM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVJ58
Personally my choice would be a class A, and of course we have one. Brand preference would be either a Newmar, Tiffin or Thor product if I were considering buying a newer coach.

Good luck with your choice,
Thanks, I do like the Winnebago Vista I am looking at also. I am told that although the A is more bulky that they are pretty maneuverable. I need to drive them both and see what I feel best with.
kgpick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 09:26 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgpick

Thanks, I do like the Winnebago Vista I am looking at also. I am told that although the A is more bulky that they are pretty maneuverable. I need to drive them both and see what I feel best with.
I have found a 2007 Four Winds 30q close by and although it does not have a slide it is pretty roomy. It only has 2770 miles on it and is the Ford v-10. I am 6'4" and am really impressed with the leg room which I have found the "C" class does not have. It is called a Hurricane. Does anyone have experience or suggestions with this model?
kgpick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 09:37 PM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
try and find one with a slide. big difference in room once you get actually set up and camping
Old 09-06-2012, 09:55 AM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks genesimmons

I know that is very true so I am looking at different ones. The Hurricane is local and is like new inside and is quite roomy for a non-slide but we do want to be happy with what we get but the non-slides are cheaper and we are limited on $.
Old 09-06-2012, 12:45 PM   #9

Nothing wrong with a non-slide coach. Our first coach was a used 1984 34' Airstream we had for 5 years and enjoyed every minute with it.

Of course we now have a 2000 double slide coach and are pleased with it as well. One benefit of a non-slide coach is there's one less item to repair if it malfunctions.

Bottom line, get the coach you like and can afford, as you'll have as much fun with it as folks with larger more expensive coaches.

Best of luck with finding the coach that suits your needs and do let us know your final choice..

P.S. Whatever coach you decide on, be sure to take it for a good test drive before signing on the ..............line and/or paying out the $$$$

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 08:18 PM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks very much for the good comments. I sure like this forum with all the valuable experienced rvers out there. I am still looking and driving. We do want to be satisfied with whatever we end up with.
Old 09-08-2012, 04:46 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by genesimmons View Post
try and find one with a slide. big difference in room once you get actually set up and camping
I whole heartily agree. Go with the A. I too am 6'4". You need room, you need slides.
Old 09-08-2012, 09:49 PM   #12

We've been researching for a couple of years now, and have decided that our full-time coach will be a DP with no slides. Yes, the slides add interior room, but at a cost of added weight, complexity, and storage space.

We had a C when the kids were junior-high age, and it more or less worked, but we used it only for vacations. I've not driven a DP, but I have driven more than one school bus (with kids aboard). I'd rather drive the bus than the van. I'm thinking that the DP will actually be easier to drive, since it is basically a big box. You can see all four corners and you sit up higher.
kb0zke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 07:44 AM   #13

We bought a '94 Fleetwood Southwind 20th anniversary model DP. The coach is in incredible used condition, 37' with no slides, if you are a "camper" to us this is luxury camping. 39k original miles, the coach was kept indoors and very rarely used:
Amenities -pluses include, 2-a/c units, diesel generator, large mid-bath with large shower, 2-TV's (tube style already changed to HDTV) washer/dryer combo, ice maker, lp or electrical refrigerator, beige carpet-looks almost new, 3-yr old matching tires

The coach needed lots of love/ elbow grease, lots of research-roof coatings, caulk, maintenance, and I have spent some money on getting the systems up and working, but we are totally excited, and I enjoy "labors of love"

1st RV, had to fit a tight budget, we looked for over 6-months until the right deal actually just fell into our laps. God provided and we are thankful, good luck on your search-the hunt is a BLAST !!!
Old 09-10-2012, 08:21 AM   #14

National RV Owners Club
You are the only one who knows what will work for you and yours. When you find the right RV you will know it It will just feel right. Good luck in your search and enjoy the ride
Joe

Tags
motorhome