Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-01-2014, 01:21 PM   #15

No, it still sounds like you do not have power in the 120V outlet for the fridge. All the lights on the front of the fridge and the interior light run on the 12v control power. The 120V is only for the heating element in the cooling system that replaces the propane flame. Check the outlet. They are often powered from the same circuit as the microwave and it is likely a GFI outlet. They can trip easily.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-01-2014, 02:17 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlabit View Post
Well, after finding the cause of the propane smell inside last night, I turned on the propane this morning. I initially set the refrigerator to work on propane, and it worked great. Several hours ago, I set it to auto, and it, again, is working great. I don't understand this, but obviously, the coach has to have propane it it, and the gas has to be turned on for the refrigerator to work. I'm going to call my RV repairman when I get home and ask him about this. I appreciate all the feedback. Thanks.
Glad you're back in business. Thanks for the followup post.

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 03:20 PM   #17
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
If the line from tank is closed at tank the LP may bleed out and you have air in line that has to be purge out of it and the igniter will keep setting a spark until it can get the LP gas to ignite the fridge burner.
The stove burner on may have help remove some of the air in line.
Here is information for you fridge.
Here is Tech info for your coach.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 03:37 PM   #18

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
jlabit,

Sounds like you got good advice for getting the refrig going. Now some other advice.

As you have to work on an appliance or an installed component, get the Manufacturer, model and serial number to keep in a file in your computer. Then go to the manufacturer's webpage and download the .pdf for your component. Most are free - have found one that cost $$. Eventually you have all the appropriate manuals. Some of the harder to get ones sometimes are available on one of the three forums. I would also add to your signature/profile the model and year of your coach and type chassis. It helps get the right people to help with your problem. Add the appropriate information concerning the problem component to your query. It helps all of us. And please provide feedback when your problem is solved (no matter what the cause was) so it can be added to the common knowledge base. JM2...PS, when ever we go other there is always a new challenge to allow me to pursue my hobby - tinkering with the RV.
teddyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 03:51 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlabit View Post
Already checked the circuit breakers. I am getting power lights to the frig. The power light is green, but it flashes on and off 3 times in a row. Not sure if that is some type of warning. There is also a yellow light below the green that is lit and flashing. On the label, it says that a flashing yellow means I have a propane problem. I know I have a propane problem. The supply is turned off. The frig worked great before I accidently ran it out of gas.
do you have an auto and a propane button? Make sure the propane button is NOT pushed in, just the auto button.
Old 04-01-2014, 04:08 PM   #20

Ok, this is a Norcold, either 611 or 811 possibly. The flashing green three times is an issue on the 120V side. Either bad board, bad element, or no power.
Flashing orange is check light for gas. It says "check if flashing."
Old 04-01-2014, 11:01 PM   #21

Thanks for your responses and advice. jesilvas, you are right about the model number. It looks like it is a N611 Norcold. I just went to HOME to try to get a manual and some info on this frig. Unfortunately, it looks like their servers are as reliable as their refrigerators. I cannot get a copy of the manual. The site give me a "duplicate headers received from server" error. The green light is still flashing 3 times, so it appears it is operating in propane mode only. It is 11:00 at night here, so I will pull that cover off in the morning and see if I can see something obvious. I have a voltmeter, but it is at the house 125 miles away. I'm going to fire a nasty gram to Thetford tonight, hoping they will fix their website where I can get a copy of the manual. That board and element, are they difficult to replace? I spent 30 years in the Air Force working on aircraft instrument systems. However, my mobility has decreased tremendously with age. If I can get a copy of some technical info, I might give it a shot. Teddyu, thanks for some great info also. I thought I had placed my motor home info into my profile, but it is not showing up in my signature like many of yours are. I'm pretty good at fixing computers, however, my knowledge of website stuff is very limited. How do you guys get this info to show up under your signatures? I am very new to the RV'ing world, purchasing my first class A this past August. Your knowledge and assistance is greatly appreciated. And anytime I have resolved a problem area, I always put it on here because there are many people out there that are as inexperienced with this as I am. Please believe me when I say that your assistance and knowledge is greatly appreciated.
Old 04-01-2014, 11:08 PM   #22

Is this what you're talking about when you say control board? The control on my frig looks EXACTLY like this.

Norcold RV Refrigerator Optical Control Board 621988 | eBay
Old 04-01-2014, 11:35 PM   #23

Looking up the model number, I found another site with info on this fridge. According to the document, I have a bad AC heating element. See page 8 for what I found. The "on" green light on my unit flashes 3 times in succession. According to this document, looks like I have a bad heating element. I am familiar with a volt and ohm meter, using a PSM 6 multi-meter during my many Air Force years. Now I have an area to look at. This forum is GREAT!!!

http://bryantrv.com/docs2/docs/ncoldnnewnseries.pdf
Old 04-02-2014, 08:55 AM   #24

Ohm the element across both wires AND from each wire to the casing. Any continuity from casing to wiring is a bad element.

It can be a bad 120V supply to the board, and if all else is good, a bad board.
Old 04-10-2014, 06:39 PM   #25

Just a final heads up on the refrigerator problem. The problem was caused by a defective heating element in the frig, which has been replaced. That is exactly what the diagnostic code was telling me. Appreciate all your help and guidance.
jlabit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 01:14 AM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Our last camp-out was the 1st week of December with everything working great, came home and parked the RV for a few months. Now--the Norcold 1200 refrigerator seems to have no power-the display will not come on-we have tried all we can think of--everything else seems to be working OK. Do you have any suggestions for us to try?
Old 04-20-2014, 09:32 AM   #27

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Diane 98,
Check the recall box in the refrigerator panel outside, If you have a small black box and it has a red light on or it is flashing, it has been triggered. You can check the 12v going into that box and out. If it has 12v into it and none coming out, it needs to be reset. That would cause what you are experiencing.
krivanj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 03:36 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diane98 View Post
Our last camp-out was the 1st week of December with everything working great, came home and parked the RV for a few months. Now--the Norcold 1200 refrigerator seems to have no power-the display will not come on-we have tried all we can think of--everything else seems to be working OK. Do you have any suggestions for us to try?
Well what did you try?

If you have no display, you have no 12V power. Either a safety recall (old style) tripped, or your batteries are dead, or a mouse ate wires. The list goes on and on.

A new black box relay will not kill power to the optical board unless wired wrong.