Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-31-2014, 09:38 PM   #1

First time out with problems.

Just took the 2010 Thor Hurricane out for the first tie today, after a rough winter. I an new with this coach and to RV'ing, having bought it, my first one, this past August. The refrigerator in it is not working. I am plugged into 50 amp service at Tyndall AFB Famcamp, and I have not turned the propane on.ThThis When we first got to the camp, I smelled propane smells, and turned the propane valve off, until I have daylight and can see whats going on. Shouldn't this Norcold refrigerator run on electrical power only when it is plugged in to power? This winter, the unit ran out of propane when I had the heater on. I'm hoping that the propane smell is caused by a pilot that is supposed to be lit somewhere and is not lit. I'm going to look up the manual on line and try to find out how many pilot lights I have on this coach. I honestly believe the frig should work on electrical power only. I have a green light on the frig that blinks 3 times. I have a yellow light telling me to check gas supply if flashing, and it is flashing. I guess it's flashing because the propane valve is turned off. Would appreciate any advice for this newbie. Thanks for reading.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-31-2014, 09:39 PM   #2

Is the fridge switch turned to auto? It may be on gas mode only.

akeyzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 09:45 PM   #3

Yes. There are 3 positions, off, gas, and auto. It is set to auto. Thanks for your response.
Old 03-31-2014, 09:57 PM   #4

One problem with buying a used motor home is that you don't get the manuals for any of the appliances. I just checked the manual for the hurricane and there is not one mention of what has a pilot light. My best guess is that the water heater and oven probably have a pilot.
Old 03-31-2014, 10:03 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Check your breaker and make sure the fridge outlet is getting 110 VAC.
Old 03-31-2014, 10:11 PM   #6

Already checked the circuit breakers. I am getting power lights to the frig. The power light is green, but it flashes on and off 3 times in a row. Not sure if that is some type of warning. There is also a yellow light below the green that is lit and flashing. On the label, it says that a flashing yellow means I have a propane problem. I know I have a propane problem. The supply is turned off. The frig worked great before I accidently ran it out of gas.
Old 03-31-2014, 10:14 PM   #7

Are you sure it's not working? It will most likely take all day to cool down if it was off. Set it to the coldest, then adjust later.
Old 03-31-2014, 10:29 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Norcold had a lot of recalls so you should check with them to see if your's was included.

Jon
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 10:38 PM   #9

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
most refig work on 12 v control so inside light is 12 v so look outside for 110 plug behind vent ck there
Santara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 10:51 PM   #10

Well, I just found out where the propane smell was coming from. Don't know who did it, but found one of the gas stove valves was turned on. Looks like you have to hit a spark ignitor to light the flame. Don't know who turned that stove valve on. I'm not turning the main propane valve on tonight. It's bedtime. I will turn on the propane in the AM and see what happens to the frig.
Old 03-31-2014, 10:59 PM   #11

I'll check that 110 volt connector in the morning when I have some light. I agree that it ought to work with propane turned off. I'm not going to mess with it in the dark. The whole purpose of this trip was to check every thing out after a long and cold Florida winter. Will post in AM after I can see the back of the frig. Thanks for your responses. The good news is that it doesn't appear I have any cracked plumbing.
Old 04-01-2014, 12:17 AM   #12

we always do a precampout in the driveway before we actually go out for the first time every year. run all appliances, water, lights, heaters, ac's. saves a lot of frustration at the campground and also the annoyed looks from the little woman...
Old 04-01-2014, 12:32 AM   #13

Two years ago this happened to me ........ faulty ballast in a working flourescent light fixture in ceiling. It was backfeeding something strange through the 12v wires in the MH. The refrigerator, running on 120v electric (it is controlled by 12v) , would shut off when ever the faulty light would be on . If you have 12v flourescent lights, turn them all off, then try to restart your refrig on 120v.

Just an idea to try ...... I solved my problem by replacing flourescent tubes with LEDs, this completely eliminates the problematic ballasts in the fixtures.
gruelens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 01:09 PM   #14

Well, after finding the cause of the propane smell inside last night, I turned on the propane this morning. I initially set the refrigerator to work on propane, and it worked great. Several hours ago, I set it to auto, and it, again, is working great. I don't understand this, but obviously, the coach has to have propane it it, and the gas has to be turned on for the refrigerator to work. I'm going to call my RV repairman when I get home and ask him about this. I appreciate all the feedback. Thanks.