Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-13-2018, 09:41 PM   #29

It's a bit older than the year range you mentioned, but I think you should take a look at the American Coach units of this vintage:

https://nashville.craigslist.org/rvs...512635583.html

It's not too far to take a look maybe?

I bought a 1997 American Eagle in December. I have spent a lot of time servicing items and getting to know it all. I am impressed with it's build quality so far. My insurance agent shops around like a broker and he got me a policy with progressive. He said they are a good company to go with for Rv's and I think my policy is about $1000 for the year with full coverage and stated value.
SlowJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-13-2018, 09:53 PM   #30

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Are you sure the Jeep can be towed? Some of them can't. It has to have a transfer case with a true neutral in it so not just any four wheel drive do.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 12:05 PM   #31

So the wife and I have looked at a few of the recommendations made. One of the brands we are particularly interested in and know that we will be waiting around to find one in our price bracket (2001-2003 model) is the 38' and 40' Western RV Alpine Coach. We also like the looks and floorplans of the Itasca Meridian 39W (2003-2005).

Would anyone recommend one of these over the other?
HamboneTHW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 12:34 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowJoe View Post
It's a bit older than the year range you mentioned, but I think you should take a look at the American Coach units of this vintage:

https://nashville.craigslist.org/rvs...512635583.html

It's not too far to take a look maybe?

I bought a 1997 American Eagle in December. I have spent a lot of time servicing items and getting to know it all. I am impressed with it's build quality so far. My insurance agent shops around like a broker and he got me a policy with progressive. He said they are a good company to go with for Rv's and I think my policy is about $1000 for the year with full coverage and stated value.
Joe,

I'm not necessarily opposed to something like that. Have you had any major issues with yours? Did you have it privately inspected before purchasing?

I like that RV you sent in a link, but it only has one slide. Does the bedroom slide make a big difference? Our initial thought process was to get as many slides as we can.

Thanks for your response and insight. This site has been so helpful.
Old 03-14-2018, 03:45 PM   #33

I haven't had it long enough to really have any issues. It was in really good shape already and was well cared for by the original owner. I have done a lot of things in the maintenance category that I wanted to do so I am sure of where things are at. I changed all fluids, hoses, thermostat, etc. I also adjusted the valves since it was due and given everything else I was doing, it was lots easier to access at this time. I put a new set of tires on it last weekend, because they were old, inspected the brakes and misc. Overall, I am inspecting, greasing, servicing anything that I can identify that may be a potential problem or may benefit from some TLC. I am a strong proponent of doing maintenance at home instead of doing a road-side repair. The only problems/ defects I have found so far were the headlight switch and the leveling valves. The dash lights were not working. I found that the switch had melted around the contact for the running lights. The switch is the same one used in early model Chevy's. I believe the large number of lights on this circuit were more than the switch was designed for, and most likely should have been wired differently. I changed the switch and reduced the load by switching all running lights to LED, so this problem should not reoccur.

The leveling valves on mine are ridewell 7423. I was servicing the transmission and heard a small air leak. I chased it down and found that it was coming from the valve. After removing it for inspection, I found the plastic body of the valve had cracked where the fitting screws into it. I read online and found that this was a common problem with this particular valve and that they are also discontinued. I was able to find another valve which was a bolt in swap, and changed it out yesterday. This new valve has an aluminum body, and I will change out the others ASAP. When removing the fitting from the old valve, the whole insert came out. This would be bad on the road, and I feel was a poor design.
Both items together were less than $80.00 to replace and took about an hour total, so they are not much of a big deal. I feel that if I can have worked on this coach as much as I have and they are my worst design complaints so far, then I am doing pretty well! I have worked on a lot of stuff in my time and have a strong distaste for an ill designed vehicle, when it comes to running works. I spent a lot of time with an open mind reading the good, bad and the ugly about every type of Class A diesel I could come across within my budget. The American coaches seemed to consistently receive favorable marks, so they moved to the top of my list for consideration. I am very pleased so far.

I did not have it inspected by anyone, because I have a strong mechanical background and felt it was unnecessary.

So far as the slides go, I do not have any and I unusual in the fact that I really did not want any. I have experienced through others the difficulties that they can bring, so since I am generally not a lucky guy I was hoping to avoid them. I have learned that if it can happen, then it WILL happen to me. If the right coach presented it's self then I would have taken one with a slide, but it was not on my list. I do not have any kids and don't plan on needing a lot of room for other people. I also do not plan to "fulltime" or simply just sit around inside. My purpose for having this unit, is to go places, see things and experience the beautiful country we are blessed to live in. None of those items really involve sitting around inside the motorhome long enough to wish I had more room! For myself, wife and dog we have plenty of room without it. The living area slides on these units open up and create a lot of room if that is needed. A bedroom slide seems unnecessary to me unless it is a unit with a King size bed and you need the slide to get around it. With the queen and configuration my unit has, I cant see myself using any more room than what is there.

I would suggest that you try to find one close enough to go take a look and see if you like it or not. Whatever coach you decide on, it would be best to go look at a few to see what you like or dislike because everyone's list of requirements or desires is different.

Good luck!
SlowJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 06:56 PM   #34

Not sure if it matters for your situation but finding financing on a coach over ten years old isn't so easy, and expect your finance rate even with excellent credit will be pretty high. May only get a 5 or 6 year term. Usually best age is at ten years old before it hits 11 and you can still get a ten year loan. Of course not an issue if you don't have to finance.
Just something else to think about.
I bought a 05 expedition for 35k in 2015, been great, little issues, but annual maint has been minimal spend more on it for stuff I want, but do all my own maint.
Consider storage costs also, unless you can park where you live.
Find a coach you like, floor plan, etc, then search for common issues on that model.
Mine is rear radiator, and I don't have issue accessing motor, just a little more time is all, more storage if not side radiator. You'll get lots of opinions everyone has their likes and dislikes, try and find what you like and go from their searching for both coach issues and engine issues.
JLWoodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 07:01 PM   #35

Make sure your aware of the absorption fridge fire issues from 2000 to 2010 range, make sure the recall was done, norcold, domestic etc. effected most makes and models.
Old 03-14-2018, 07:20 PM   #36

Also for the coaches you like. Search for ones that have tpo roof not rubber roof. Full fiberglass ext wall, no Luan on exterior. Full ext paint, not gel coat. In mid 2000's all where in use between diff mfg's
Ultimately that's why I went with Fleetwood
Old 03-14-2018, 09:07 PM   #37

I am all for DP and I think they are wonderful, but the uses you described, with children, and the parameters can almost all be met by a late model Class C like a Leprechaun by Coachman model 310, 319, 311 or a Jayco Greyhawk premium model. They are less than 35 feet, and a late model one could easily fall in your price range with very few miles on it and maybe still on warranty. Class C maintenance is easy and relatively cheap (ford van parts).

My first two RVs with my kids growing up were Class Cs and we loved them. I was actually sad to see them go. I do like the DP but it has some drawbacks, not the least of which is height and length.

Don't get me wrong, I am not bashing a DP, but the needs you described fall easily within the capabilities of a nice Class C, or a gas class A. I agree with the other poster on this thread who thinks a DP might be overkill for your situation, especially for a first time RV owner. Maintenance and systems can be costly on a DP.

Of course, you need to decide what is best for you and your family. I predict that whatever you get, you will really learn to enjoy it.

Finally, If it were me, I would skip the washer/dryer. We have never needed it. Pack enough clothing for the trip and a few extra for the kids. Wash at the campground laundromat or at mom and dads in a pinch. They are heavy and don't clean huge loads and they use a lot of water, which can be a precious commodity in an RV.

Good luck and let us know!
iluvuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 05:54 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvuk View Post
I am all for DP and I think they are wonderful, but the uses you described, with children, and the parameters can almost all be met by a late model Class C like a Leprechaun by Coachman model 310, 319, 311 or a Jayco Greyhawk premium model. They are less than 35 feet, and a late model one could easily fall in your price range with very few miles on it and maybe still on warranty. Class C maintenance is easy and relatively cheap (ford van parts).

My first two RVs with my kids growing up were Class Cs and we loved them. I was actually sad to see them go. I do like the DP but it has some drawbacks, not the least of which is height and length.

Don't get me wrong, I am not bashing a DP, but the needs you described fall easily within the capabilities of a nice Class C, or a gas class A. I agree with the other poster on this thread who thinks a DP might be overkill for your situation, especially for a first time RV owner. Maintenance and systems can be costly on a DP.

Of course, you need to decide what is best for you and your family. I predict that whatever you get, you will really learn to enjoy it.

Finally, If it were me, I would skip the washer/dryer. We have never needed it. Pack enough clothing for the trip and a few extra for the kids. Wash at the campground laundromat or at mom and dads in a pinch. They are heavy and don't clean huge loads and they use a lot of water, which can be a precious commodity in an RV.

Good luck and let us know!
Ed,

Thanks for your reply and the insight of everyone. While it may fall into the category of I don't know what I'm missing in a Class C if I never had a Class A, but...

1. I love diesel. My jeep is a diesel and if they made it, my Expedition would be diesel. Diesels handle load so much better than gas.
2. A newer Class C has much more depreciation that it will be subject to, creating the potential to be upside down if we decide to trade within a few years.
3. Most Class C's are around 32' and the cabs take away from some of this because they are not flat at the front like a DP. This seems like missed real estate to me, especially with a kid and all of his stuff.
4. Inside height seems much lower on a Class C vs. a Class A, which leads to a possible uncomfortable feeling while in it.

Please let me know if my complaints are not valid, as I am new to the RV world. All of my research has pointed me toward a Class A over Class C. Personal preference has pushed me toward a diesel over a gasser.

Once again, I'm happy to listen to logic and great insight. This site is so informative and we are learning a ton! Thanks again!
Old 03-15-2018, 07:07 AM   #39

I haven't read all the posts...but here's my 5 cents

• I saw early on, that you have budgeted $2,500/yr. for maintenance

Don't forget storage fees whether inside or outside. I see MH's all the time stored outside and IMO, it's just deteriorating in slow motion. Before we were FTing, we kept our MH in enclosed storage, paid $260/mo. for 14.5' x 50' space

• It looks like you're pretty much settled on a DP. But just remember, these varying prices you're seeing are also affected by whether they are equipped with a rear radiator or a side radiator. (rad) My experience has been, that side rad MH's always bring a higher price. They are also a whole lot easier to work on, which also keeps maintenance labor costs down if done by others. We ended up buying a gas coach because that's what we could comfortably afford. But in the beginning of our search, when we we're considering a DP, a side rad DP was an absolute must or it was a deal breaker for me

• Two last POI:
When I was seriously considering a DP, I did a ton of research here and other places getting up to speed on the different kinds, sizes and makers of diesel engines. I created a document with all my notes that I think will be very helpful as you look around

- I'm attaching a PDF of my notes below

- Here's a link of an excellant PM list that Steve made awhile back of things you should address to establish a baseline of maintenance if you have no records upon purchase
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/main...ml#post3446070
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Engines to look for when buying a diesel DP.pdf (69.6 KB, 47 views)
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 09:41 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamboneTHW View Post
New to the forum and a prospective RV owner. I have read many posts with individuals asking some similar questions, but not exactly the answers I am looking for and most answers are from a few years ago. So here goes:
We are a middle-aged couple that just had our first child. We have some friends with young children (3 and 6 month-old twins) that recently purchased an older gas Class A RV and came to visit during a 6-week trip. After talking with them, we were sold on the benefits of traveling with children in an RV. Our parents are in Fort Worth (8 hour drive from here) and Charleston (12.5 hour drive from here). With a new grandchild, we will be taking multiple trips throughout the year to see them. Both sets of parents live in smaller homes, making the RV a perfect solution for room, comfort and ease. In addition, we are looking to make 4-6 long weekend trips per year within an 8-hour trek. Finally, we are planning to take a week-long vacation per year utilizing the RV. I’m estimating 7000-10000 miles annually and a total of 30-45 days per year in the RV.
I would like to go with a 2000-2006 Diesel Pusher for multiple reasons (ride, diesel motor, towing capability, longevity of the engine, mileage, etc.). The reason for the year specifications is due to cost (looking to spend an absolute max of $45,000, preferably $40,000. For the right coach, I would be willing to go $45,000. Some of the options that we like are: booth-style dinette that folds into additional sleeping room, a couch (hopefully that folds out as well), at least 2 slides, and a washer/dryer (wife’s must have, I would be interested to hear everyone’s thoughts). We are also looking to flat-tow a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee.
Another question I have is in regard to where I can fit. I read a post from 2014 that mentions that anything larger than 35’ is almost impossible to fit into the campsites available in national and state parks. Is this still the case? What is the largest size we could fit into a national or state park? We would obviously like to be in something larger, but also want to be able to visit anywhere we choose, especially state parks.
I have also read many different opinions on insurance. What would a good estimate to use for insurance be when calculating annual costs?
With the stipulations and wants listed above, what are your thoughts? What make/model would you recommend?
Thanks in advance for your insight and advice.

I will make my feeble attempt to give an “opinion” on what you have asked.
1. I think taking young children out on an “adventure” could be one of life’s most valued and treasured experiences. Young children learn quicker and giving them this type of experience could be one of life’s most valuable lessons. I applaud your desire to broaden their life experiences when they are young. My daughter spent the first 8 years of her life in Germany, Greece, Italy, and Lebanon and speaks German/Greek fluently because we lived with the local populace. She is now 48.
2. Your price range, at least for a diesel in the year group and with washer/dryer, is likely unrealistic. You may get one for the price you listed but could have to spend a lot more on maintenance. I’d think you are looking at a $70-80k range BUT might get lucky and find a really good deal. Shop in retirement communities as you may find someone with a spouse who has passed and wants to be rid of a memory.
3. Where you can fit varies widely. Older National Parks are possibly one of your biggest challenges. They were built many, many years ago when RVs did not exist and roads are often too narrow, with sharp turns, for a vehicle over 30’. You can make do, like those of us with 40’+, and stay outside the park in much more upgraded facilities, and make lots of day adventures in the toad.
4. Insurance is most likely going to be based on your area where you live and register the vehicle. Varies widely. I live in Las Vegas, NV where insurance is out of this world for cars but pay $1,200 annually for full coverage, $250 deductible, and roadside assistance (without the typical 20 mile towing limitation) on a 2010 TIFFIN DP.
5. My biggest concern for you is the “estimated” cost of annual maintenance. With a diesel you can look at $400 for an oil change (SpeedCo cost for engine, generator, fuel filters was $417 two weeks ago). If you run 22.5” tires, which are common on DP’s, a Michelin 275/80R 22.5 will likely run between $500-600 per tire. I just purchased six for $3,400 and most think I got a really good deal. So add in all the other things that always seem to need some TLC and you can see the costs are high.

I would suggest you consider a gas vehicle as your first. I inspected, for a friend, a 2017 Winnebago Sunstar 30’ with 10,500 miles, in like new condition, with Blue Ox tow system included, for $77k asking price. The owner told a good friend, who is NOT looking to purchase an RV, that the seller would gladly take $70k. Seller has already upgraded to a 43’ DP because he full-times and is motivated to sell. I believe a brand new Sunstar sells for around $100k (MSRP ~$130k I might guess).

Best of luck and hope my “opinion” helps.

MrB1LL
Mrb1ll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 09:51 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by marjoa View Post
I haven't read all the posts...but here's my 5 cents

• I saw early on, that you have budgeted $2,500/yr. for maintenance

Don't forget storage fees whether inside or outside. I see MH's all the time stored outside and IMO, it's just deteriorating in slow motion. Before we were FTing, we kept our MH in enclosed storage, paid $260/mo. for 14.5' x 50' space

• It looks like you're pretty much settled on a DP. But just remember, these varying prices you're seeing are also affected by whether they are equipped with a rear radiator or a side radiator. (rad) My experience has been, that side rad MH's always bring a higher price. They are also a whole lot easier to work on, which also keeps maintenance labor costs down if done by others. We ended up buying a gas coach because that's what we could comfortably afford. But in the beginning of our search, when we we're considering a DP, a side rad DP was an absolute must or it was a deal breaker for me

• Two last POI:
When I was seriously considering a DP, I did a ton of research here and other places getting up to speed on the different kinds, sizes and makers of diesel engines. I created a document with all my notes that I think will be very helpful as you look around

- I'm attaching a PDF of my notes below

- Here's a link of an excellant PM list that Steve made awhile back of things you should address to establish a baseline of maintenance if you have no records upon purchase
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/main...ml#post3446070
Thank you for the insight. I continue to be amazed by the helpfulness I am receiving from this forum. That pdf is great. I am going to look at it more in-depth this evening when I get home.

What year/make/model gasser do you have? How is the ride? Do you regret not going with a DP?

Thanks again!
Old 03-15-2018, 09:52 AM   #42

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by HamboneTHW View Post
Don,

Thanks for the reply. We aren't interested in a trailer. The thought is, while not technically the safest, that if little one gets upset, needs a diaper changed, is hungry, etc., we don't have to stop driving, while also providing the wife room to operate.
Don't think you (wife) can wander around in the back of the coach while driving. Yes you/she can get up and make it to the back but your not going to be making lunch while driving. It is too unstable - like walking down the isle in an airplane with air turbulence.

It is still easier to pull into a rest stop or gas station, and take care of things in the back of coach over having to get out and go into a trailer, but having access to the back of coach while driving is not as easy as it sounds.
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote