Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-13-2012, 03:43 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
All great advice. Thank you all! Hope to see you on the road soon!

Weimaraner is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-14-2012, 08:04 PM   #16

Country Coach Owners Club
you should also go to rv.org and buy their product. It will be the best money you spend on buying a rv.
Good luck

Old 11-14-2012, 08:28 PM   #17

Executive is an excellent coach, provided it has been well taken care of.

The air bags are a tried and true technology and they are extremely durable - 20 year old bags wouldn't really be a concern.

The high end coaches can have a lot of complex systems. They certainly do alot and add luxury to your coach, but it is also give you more potential for costly repairs, so bear that in mind.

The mileage should not be an issue, provided maintenance has been done. That engine should be good for 500k miles before major overhaul. Actually having some miles on it is a good sign. An ultra low mileage would be a red flag, as the coach has probably been just sitting around. These things are made to be driven.
Old 11-14-2012, 08:51 PM   #18

My wife and I have lived full time in an '03 Monaco Signature 40' coach since the spring of '07. We currently have about the same mileage. You are looking at one of the best production motor homes ever built. The series s chassis is extremely strong and very stable over the road. The Cummins ISM/ Allison 4000 is one of the best drive trains ever used in a motor home. Since maintenance records are not available you should insist on having a sample of the engine oil and the transmission fluid tested. Also the SCA level of the coolant should be checked.If that is ok then you should plan on doing a complete service which consists of the following:

1. Engine oil & filter.
2. Fuel filters (2).
3. Coolant changed and SCA adjusted. Coolant filter replaced. Replace hoses.
4. Air dryer serviced.
5. Differential oil changed.
6. Front wheel bearings cleaned and repacked.
7. Engine belts replaced.
8. Transmission fluid changed to Transynd and filters changed.
9. Generator serviced.
10. AquaHot serviced.
11. Chassis lube.
12. 2 fresh water filters should be changed a couple of times annually.
13. If Norcold 1200 series frig, make sure last recall was done.

If you go forward with this purchase you can contact me anytime at shownby@ Mac.com. I'll be happy to help if I can.
Steve Ownby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:30 PM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Unhappy

Wow what a nice post! This is such a great community! As it so happens, there is an almost identical 2003 Monaco Executive I have found from a private seller. He has all maintenance records, and it only has 38,000 miles, compared to the first one with 98,000 miles. This second one may already have a broker trying to buy it. We'll have to see, and we aren't planning on buying until January. If we don't get one of these, we may go for a new Monaco Knight or Dynasty. Any thoughts on that option? I have to figure that the 2003s won't last that long on the market.

Again, thanks for the helpful advice!
Old 11-15-2012, 02:32 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
I'm also shopping for a used Executive or Signature. They are great coaches. I agree with your choice of looking further. Unless the price is right, there are so many coaches for sale there is no reason to settle for a 98K mile coach. The issue is not if the engine is still good. It's resale. If anything happens and you need to sell it, dealers will discount the value up to 50% on a 100K mile coach (unless they are selling it).

A major expense on these coaches is converting the Allison MH4000 transmission to Allison synthetic Transynd transmission fluid. Look for a tag on the transmission dip stick indicating this has already been done. If not, request the seller do this for you as part of the deal. Transynd is $42-50 per gallon and the MH4000 requires 39 qts. This change procedure needs to be done twice to convert it to synthetic.

Most folks are converting the refrigerator in these coaches to a residential unit. Budget $1100 to $1800 for this.

As previous folks have mentioned, check the dates on tires and batteries. Tires over five years old should be replaced even though they may appear new. 305/70-22.5 tires are $550-600 each, times eight. This also can be a major expense.

Most 2003 models will usually only have two slides. Make sure you look at a slightly newer model that has at least three slides. The third slide is a great increase in living room. Also look at 2005 models that have an increased ceiling height. This can help reduce the claustrophobic “living in a cave” effect.

Include Monaco Signature and Holiday Rambler Navigators in your search. I saw what the salesman and I thought was a Holiday Rambler Navigator last month. It was actually a Monaco Executive and the owner had changed the emblems to Navigator. The point is they are all almost identical. The Signature will have a 12,500 generator and Executive and Navigator will have a 10,000 generator. You should also look at the Monaco Dynasty. It will have a smaller Cummins ISL engine and the Allison MH 3000 transmission, but almost all the other features including the tag axle are similar. The 42’ Dynasty’s will also come with three A/C units and the larger 10,000 generator.

Best of luck!
Old 11-15-2012, 06:37 PM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
That was a wealth of invaluable information from Vito.a! I printed it out for my DH! He cares about that, and I care about the aesthetics, like the rich Ralph Lauren interior design that is trimmed with TCU purple! Go frogs!

Tags
monaco