Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-06-2014, 11:21 AM   #1

First time using I-77 tollroad in WV

Hey folks.

We will be using the I-77 toll road in WV and I need to know how the toll is paid. This will be our first time going through a toll booth in our 45' class A. My concern is getting close enough to pass the money to the toll booth operator, if that's how it's done. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Take Care

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-06-2014, 11:45 AM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
They'll reach out to you, be assured! You might want to get an EZ Pass, it's cheaper than paying cash and you zip through the EZ pass lane, don't stop at all. It's also good at a number of other state toll roads and bridges.
West Virginia Parkways Authority

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 12:04 PM   #3

Thank you very much! I will look into the EZ Pass.
Old 05-06-2014, 06:09 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
I agree, EZ pass.....

King William, Va.
KOALAVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 07:53 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
When we head south we take 19 through summersville
to the 77 south. That strech of 77 there are two toll
booths ... not pulling a car we pay cash some thing like
1.25 at one and approx 2 $ at the other. We take the far
right outside booth for a better fit for thie mirrors.
Old 05-06-2014, 08:00 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
$3.25 if you are pulling a toad. I use the far right booth because it is wider.
Old 05-06-2014, 08:14 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
I agree with hydro45640 - the far right lane is typically wider than the other lanes and is frequently marked as such.

A piece of advice given to me is S L O W - D O W N as you approach the toll booth. The lane IS wide enough for you to fit. Focus on placing the driver side as close as you're comfortable and the passenger side will be OK.

Good luck!

Take care,
Stu
Old 05-06-2014, 08:36 PM   #8
Lit

National RV Owners Club
E-ZPASS: Pay a yearly fee of $5.00 and pre-pay funds via credit/debit card or bank account into an E-ZPassŪ account ($20.00 minimum)

I also pay with cash as I use the West Virgina Turnpike once or twice a year, same thing with the Ohio Turnpike. The yearly fee gets me every time.
Lit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 07:43 AM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Be sure to have enough fuel before you enter the turnpike because the the fuel prices are 20 to 30 cents a gallon higher.
If you are going south through Wytheville, VA Get your fuel there. It is the cheapest you can buy until you get to South Carolina. There is any brand you want. Mosty are easy to access even with a toad. There are 2 flying J's.
Be careful coming down the big mountain in Virginia. Watch your speed, it is 7 miles to the bottom.
On the WV turnpike, keep your speed close to the stated speed limit because they use unmarked cars, pickups, and suv's. Betweentoll booths 1 and 2 there are numerous curves and a lot of semi wrecks, so they patrol it heavily.
The turnpike is kind of rough but it beats the alternative.
Old 05-07-2014, 08:08 AM   #10

True Story:
We were coming back from snow skiing at Winterplace in West Virginia in our diesel pusher. We got to the first toll booth and when I went to open the sliding driver side window it wouldn't budge! It was frozen shut. No matter how hard I tried to push that thing, it wouldn't budge. So, I handed my wife the money and asked her to open the passenger side door and walk around the give the tool taker the money. Problem was she was still in her PJ's with bright bright orange bunny slippers! At the first blast of a truck air horn I didn't understand what was happening, but then with the second and third blast I saw the truckers waving and pointing at my wife. She did the only thing she thought of doing at the moment, she took a bow and waved back! When she got back inside she said "well that was fun!"
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 08:24 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Good advice already given. If you don't have EZPass, for sure use the right most lane. On our first time thru there some years ago, I 'nicked' a previously damaged guard raid on the passenger side in one of the middle lanes.....$3,200 worth of damage to the coach.

Last time we were thru there, they had repaved most of the bad areas (thru Beckley, WV) and it was not a bad road. It is beautiful thru there but a road where you need to pay attention always. Stop at the Tamarack at the Beckley truck plaza. A very nicely done facility with crafts made in WV. Also, the Greenbrier operates the food concession there and the food is very good and reasonably priced. Plenty of room to park your RV in the Tamarack parking lot.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 08:32 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
This is the WV Turnpike. It is the cheapest toll road in the US.

I take the lane with the least amount of traffic. I get as close as I can to the driver's mirror. I never check the passenger side as I know if I'm an inch from the booth with the driver's mirror the passenger side will clear.

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 10:25 AM   #13

Thanks folks! This why I love irv2 not only do you get the answers to the questions you ask you also get answers to questions you didn't know to ask.

We are heading north out of Wytheville and plan to use the Flying J on the same exit as the RV park. We'll end up in Coolville OH.

Thanks all.
Old 05-07-2014, 10:41 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Note you can get an EZPass from any state that uses them, for example, we lived in NC (who did not have EZPass before the toll roads opened there) and got our EZPass from the Peace Bridge Authority, no deposit, no fees (either annual or one-time). Peace Bridge Authority merged with the NYS Thruway a while ago, we still have no annual fee but I don't know about deposit or one-time fees. Our latest two transponders are from Massachusetts, again, no deposits or fees.

Sometimes it is beneficial to get the EZPass from the state where you use the toll roads most as you may get a discount. Maine is a great example, they have really good rates for Mainers and relatively high rates for visitors, especially RV'ers who have more than two axles.

Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote