Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-24-2017, 06:20 PM   #1

First trip, 2nd day, slide doesn't open

2007 Fleetwood Fiesta 31 recently purchased -- bedroom slide ran out normally but today left side dinette slide does not. Breaker is on. No sound from motor. Is this an easy fix or do I take it somewhere? Has worked fine about 7-8 times since we bought it last month. Currently stopped at RV park in Kansas City.
GNICK is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-24-2017, 06:52 PM   #2

Freightliner Owners Club
Do you have manuals for the slide? See the trouble shooting guide if you do. Or, look it up on the internet. Need all pertinent slide out information for others to give you their suggestions.
FleetMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 07:02 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GNICK View Post
2007 Fleetwood Fiesta 31 recently purchased -- bedroom slide ran out normally but today left side dinette slide does not. Breaker is on. No sound from motor. Is this an easy fix or do I take it somewhere? Has worked fine about 7-8 times since we bought it last month. Currently stopped at RV park in Kansas City.
I would check the connections on the board in the electrical bay. Our 3 connectors "fall out" of the socket on long trips or if we find bumps on the road.
Old 06-24-2017, 07:03 PM   #4
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Most MH slideouts are interconnected to the storage bay doors. If there is no storage bay under the bedroom slideout then it is probably not part of that circuit, thus it would still work even if there was a problem in one of the other bay door switches.

First, I would try opening each of the storage bay door and slamming it hard, trying the slideout each time. If that doesn't work then I would make a wire jumper and individually bypass each of the storage bay door switches, again trying the slideout each time.

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 07:06 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I read over some old posts on this topic. Top of the list was check the rocker switch (whatever you have for 'in' and 'out'. You need a multi-meter for this, If you don't have one, go get one.

Sometimes, when it comes to troubleshooting, check the thing that moves the most.

x2 on need for slide manufacturer details, slide type and control module number if it has one, and check the manuals. Fleetwood has an owner's operator manual available on line.

However, it is not useful because it refers you to the Driver's Information Packet. This is the big bundle of books and papers handed over when the machine was new. Look for one called "Operator's Manual Supplement", there may be 2 or 3 of these.

Chances are, if one slide works and one slide does not, then the 'in neutral', 'parking brake set', and 'shore power or generator on or engine running' requirements have been met.

However, on my unit, each slide has it's own parking brake set input wires on the control panel. IF you have a control panel, find it and check all connections. Mine is in the ceiling of the storage compartment below the slide.

If there's any other Fleetwoods around, go talk to them.

When weekend time runs out, call Fleetwood.

Billfish636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 06:21 AM   #6

Thanks to all for the advice. Yesterday while breaking camp I moved the RV to a level site and the slide worked. The campsite where we parked had a small side slope and it was enough to overload the motor. So we moved on down the road and pulled in for the night on a perfectly level spot. Same thing happened - Bdrm slide ok. Dinette nothing. Tried extending the leveling jacks but can't figure that out either. So frustrating. Remember - this is our first trip and we literally got the vehicle back from the shop one day before we left. So we had no time to learn or practice any of these new systems. I'll probably call Fleetwood today.
Old 06-26-2017, 04:43 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Thanks to all for the advice. Yesterday while breaking camp I moved the RV to a level site and the slide worked. The campsite where we parked had a small side slope and it was enough to overload the motor. So we moved on down the road and pulled in for the night on a perfectly level spot. Same thing happened - Bdrm slide ok. Dinette nothing. Tried extending the leveling jacks but can't figure that out either. So frustrating. Remember - this is our first trip and we literally got the vehicle back from the shop one day before we left. So we had no time to learn or practice any of these new systems. I'll probably call Fleetwood today.
I have to have my motor running to use my jacks and the parking brake on and just the opposite for the slide turn off the motor and see if that works...
Sicduc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 03:46 PM   #8

Update day 5: Leveling jacks started beeping an error message yesterday as we tried to move out. Worked with Fleetwood support (great resource, very helpful) but problem not resolved. Had to pull wiring harness off back of controller and unplug the RR jack to stop the alarm and keep the jack from pulsing against the stop.
Slides have worked normally since -- as long as the vehicle is dead level.
Old 06-28-2017, 11:36 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I had an hydraulic jacks beeping problem once. The problem was although the fluid level read full, the switch inside to detect this level had failed.

Billfish636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 02:23 PM   #10
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
These kind of posts make me thankful for our air leveling!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 05:32 AM   #11

Maybe so. These are electric. Fleetwood says it sounds like the guy who worked on it set the position too high. I will try to lower it a 1/4" when I get home.
Old 06-29-2017, 11:59 AM   #12

Send a message via Skype™ to 8TiresRollin
If you are good at doing troubleshooting then I suggest you sweet talk the manufacturer and get all the wiring diagrams you can get your hands on - both coach and chassis ones. They are worth their weight in gold at times like you are going through now. Some coaches need the jacks down and level before you run the slides out and others do not. You say "position too high" perhaps the 'out of level sensitivity' is too fine in that adjustment. IE the slides should go out if the coach is not perfectly level and there should be an adjustment somewhere for that. Our coach will put the slides out with jacks up or down but jacks need the ignition on (and that awful low air squeal alarm) to operate down and the slides need ignition off. Both cases no engine running.
8TiresRollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 09:06 PM   #13

Just to close the loop on this discussion -- the slide worked at almost every stop we made. Some were level, some were not. It didn't seem to make much difference. It worked on unlevel sites (including my driveway) and failed to work on level sites. Completely unpredictable.

What's more troubling is the electric jack system. I reconnected everything after we got home and manually adjusted the one jack that was beeping in error. No more beeping, but now the system thinks all jacks are extended (they are not) and will not respond to manual override of any jack. Lippert tech support (took over Atwood) said the control circuit is bad and there are no replacements. Suggested scrapping the entire Atwood system and installing a hydraulic system -- surprising to me given the negative comments i've seen on this forum about hydraulic jacks.

So I haven't decided what to do now. Any suggestions are welcome...
Old 07-04-2017, 04:40 AM   #14

Quote:
They suggested scraping the whole system and installing hydraulics. But you said earlier, has worked fine about 7-8 times since we bought it last month
So just from what I've read so far here's my take.

Your coach is 10 years old and no telling where it's been and the climate conditions it's been exposed to. Since everything is electric, and sometimes it works and sometimes not, sometimes level, sometimes not. That sounds to me like a possible loose wiring, corroded wiring or maybe bad grounding. You move it a little it works. Move it again it doesn't.

Personally before I payed out a bunch of coin to scrap & replace, I'd go through all the connections on the back of the control board first and ensure that every connection was TIGHT and firm. Then I'd go to the motors themselves, clean and tighten all those connections and inspect thoroughly. Then follow all ground wires and do the same thing. As your are doing all this, look for corrosion, or possibly chewed wires from mice. If all this fails, I'd get my hands on the manuals that explains how to reset these systems. Sometimes—especially on slides—most of them LEARN and sometimes get out of sync. They have to be reset and cleared and resynced and the manuals will show you the procedure on how to do this for your system.

I see live in Tx but right now in Kansas. Hmmmmmm.....
If all else fails for you to figure this out, or you don't even want to take this on, there is a Fleetwood Factory service center in north Texas. They are called the REV group in Alvarado, TX. (see link below) Since you're already in TX, I'd call and make an appointment and take it there and let them diagnose this for you. I've heard nothing but good things about this service center. You may have to wait a little bit to get in there for them to look at it. I would NOT waste my time or money taking it to a local RV center like CW. You need Fleetwood experts to look at this.

In the meantime, if you do get stuck in a CG and can't get the slide in, as an emergency solution, you can usually get under the MH and manually screw in the slides by manually releasing the slide motor brake, (black handle on the end of the motor) and use a ratchet and socket and manually ratchet in the slide alternating back & forth on the screw assemblies. The manuals will show you how to do this as well.

Hope this helps. Good luck my friend.

Main REV Group Website
High-End Motorhome Manufacturers – Class A & Class C Motorhomes

REV Group other locations that maybe be closer to you right now
http://www.revgroup.com/rev-group-co...ring-locations
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide