Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-02-2012, 06:57 PM   #1

First trip in the new to us Coach

We survived our maiden voyage, shake down cruise if you like.

Well, the good news first. We had a blast! We got 5.8 on the way down and 7.61 MPG on the way back. I thought that was a good number for a 1988 454. 160 miles from the coast back up to the midlands of SC. I used Octane boosters and carb cleaners when I filled it up before our departure Friday. I used the cruise and kept it at 55 MPH there and back. The coolant temperature stayed right at normal for the balance of the trip after the boil over. That is attributed to the fact the seller installed a new overflow bottle and did not fill it with coolant and I did not make sure it was filled before we left. The steering box needs some attention as it has a 1/4 turn of play in it. Like driving a stage coach! I'll tighten up the adjustment screw and see where that leaves it. Seats are comfy. Mattress was nice. A/C is cold! Fridge is COLD.

Now for the bad.
The breaker for the A/C tripped Saturday morning. We ran it at MAX and lowest temp from the time we left Friday afternoon right on through the night with no problems. It would trip every few minutes, so we moved our Parrots into the house and shut the coach down. Saturday night we ran it at low cool and mid temp all night with no problems. Sunday morning, it would not run more than ten minutes without throwing the breaker on any setting. We came back home with no A/C, hot 3 and a half hour ride for us and the birds. The breaker was hot to the touch. I think they are just old. I'll replace them Monday and see if that fixes it. I know we used to run the unit in the pop up at max around the clock and never tripped a breaker.

These are just house breakers right? I don't need a special breaker?

The engine exhaust system is installed with tape and bailing wire, I'm not kidding! Not a single clamp anywhere! This will be my first priority, as I can't have my parrots die from that! The generator exhaust is about 4 inches past the side of the coach, yet, when running, you can still smell exhaust gas on the other side of the coach and inside every now and then. May replace that too.
PirateCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-09-2012, 05:13 AM   #2

You can replace the breaker(s), but that may not be your problem. Fixing this may require an understanding of what can cause over-heating in an electrical circuit. Any electrical device runs on POWER, which is roughly the product of the voltage and the current. The device doesn't care whether it gets a little more current and a little less voltage or vice-versa.
It will DRAW more current when the voltage drops to give it the power it needs to run. How does the voltage drop? It drops because there is a loose connection in the circuit, a bad switch or wire, or a wire too small to carry the required current. Since your breaker is hot, one source of the problem COULD be the connections at the breaker. Try tightening the screw (with the power off). Then look for other places there could be a loose connection. Good luck.
Old 09-09-2012, 08:32 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
[QUOTE=PirateCamper; The generator exhaust is about 4 inches past the side of the coach, yet, when running, you can still smell exhaust gas on the other side of the coach and inside every now and then. May replace that too.[/QUOTE]You might want to invest in a Venturi Exhaust, for your ginny. It is designed to expel the exhaust, above your RV, thus pushing those deadly carbon monoxide fumes up, above your roof and out of the RV. Your birds will be the first to know. Never go to sleep, with the ginny running and the exhaust being expelled on the ground. The fumes are oderless, lighter than air and can rise up and into your RV. Camping World or any major RV Supplies Store will have them. Hope you have a carbon monoxide detector. Saved me and my family once, in a boat.
Old 09-09-2012, 08:37 AM   #4

Excellent advice Full. monte.
calvinr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 11:04 PM   #5

Sounds like a plan, thanks mate!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gripper View Post
You might want to invest in a Venturi Exhaust, for your ginny. It is designed to expel the exhaust, above your RV, thus pushing those deadly carbon monoxide fumes up, above your roof and out of the RV. Your birds will be the first to know. Never go to sleep, with the ginny running and the exhaust being expelled on the ground. The fumes are oderless, lighter than air and can rise up and into your RV. Camping World or any major RV Supplies Store will have them. Hope you have a carbon monoxide detector. Saved me and my family once, in a boat.
Old 09-09-2012, 11:05 PM   #6

Search for posts by me and see what I discovered about the breaker and the A/C today.