Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-28-2014, 12:39 AM   #1

Talking First Trip On Snow And Ice Covered Roads

Today was the first time I drove our coach in the snow. It was an adventure and Iím very impressed with the handling of our coach, as it never slipped a wheel in over 200 miles of snow and ice covered roads and even handled 40+ mph cross winds to boot.

It wasnít what Iíd call a pleasant or relaxing drive, but we got through in good time despite the road conditions and traffic. I wouldnít call our coach a tank, but it is quite capable of safe travel on snow and ice covered roads. I am impressed and very pleased.

We recently started full-timing and all the kids and Grand-kids live in snow country so itís great to discover that our coach can handle winter driving quite well.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-28-2014, 01:03 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Excellent news, glad it went so well!

Just curious - you said "... we got through in good time despite the road conditions and traffic." How long did it take you to make that 200 miles?

Wryly Blithe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 03:16 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wryly Blithe View Post
Excellent news, glad it went so well!

Just curious - you said "... we got through in good time despite the road conditions and traffic." How long did it take you to make that 200 miles?
4-5 hours for that part of the trip.
Old 12-28-2014, 03:22 PM   #4

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Which tires are you running?
Old 12-28-2014, 03:26 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Driving on snow and ice is best accomplished by reducing speed and driving very smoothly and applying power with discretion. Lots of torque means break loose power. Gentle braking is a must.
Old 12-28-2014, 03:41 PM   #6

Gulf Streamers Club
Glad you made it safely. I've driven school buses daily in snow, they are pretty good. Only issue is after your travels in snow, ice AND SALT. Make sure you give it a good rinse (top and bottom) to wash off the salt.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 03:45 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 Wideglide View Post
Which tires are you running?
Michelin XZA2 in 295/80R 22.5
Old 12-28-2014, 03:54 PM   #8

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by OB-One View Post
Michelin XZA2 in 295/80R 22.5
We don't have that size tire but our Michelins have been excellent in the ice and snow.
The main trouble was the cars that saw a big open space in front of you (safe stopping distance) and cut over to fill it up!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 05:46 PM   #9

Saturday(a week ago) I drove ours from TN to Manitoba. Right now it is -17F here in Minnedos MB. , and will be in that range when we head back on Thursday.. Snow is fine, ice(real ice) is a no go for me. If I manage to find it on our drive home through North Dakota, Minnesota, Wisconson etc, I pull over as soon as practical and wait/sleep until it thaws or is treated.

If you feel any loss of traction at all especially on overpasses or bridges, get off the highway and park it. If I see the road surface start to have a sheen, I pull off. When traveling in winter we always keep the propane tank topped off, since we never know how long we might have to wait out the ice.
Old 12-28-2014, 07:23 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Right off hand, I can't think of anything, barring some type of emergency, that would warrant me driving on snow and/or ice. I don't worry about me, I've been doing it for years (in other vehicles), but I do worry about the other drivers. It's not worth the risk to the coach or me and my family.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 07:27 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
...after your travels in snow, ice AND SALT. Make sure you give it a good rinse (top and bottom) to wash off the salt....
X2 for the post-drive rinse off. Especially on the aluminum wheels. And especially if you traveled roads treated with mag chloride. \ken
Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 08:30 PM   #12

I always avoided traveling on ice roads, but this time last year got caught in solid ice for several hundred miles. Was in truck with 5th wheel, not motohome. It did much better than expected and never slid a single time, better than truck empty by far. That being said I still avoid it.
Old 12-28-2014, 09:39 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
...The main trouble was the cars that saw a big open space in front of you (safe stopping distance) and cut over to fill it up!
No kidding!

They seem to think that we can stop a 50,000 pound vehicle in less space than they need to stop their car.
Old 12-29-2014, 03:21 PM   #14

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motor7 View Post
Saturday(a week ago) I drove ours from TN to Manitoba. Right now it is -17F here in Minnedos MB. , and will be in that range when we head back on Thursday.. Snow is fine, ice(real ice) is a no go for me. If I manage to find it on our drive home through North Dakota, Minnesota, Wisconson etc, I pull over as soon as practical and wait/sleep until it thaws or is treated.

If you feel any loss of traction at all especially on overpasses or bridges, get off the highway and park it. If I see the road surface start to have a sheen, I pull off. When traveling in winter we always keep the propane tank topped off, since we never know how long we might have to wait out the ice.
You'll drive right past our door after you turn from the Hwy 16 onto the Trans Canada highway west of Portage la Prairie, MB.

We've had lots of freezing rain the last few weeks. Trans Canada Highway is clear because it has been salted well. I believe the Hwy 16 is also clear. Other secondary highways are still a thick sheet of ice, and will continue to be so for quite some time. I traveled on the 305 Hwy a couple of days ago. The ice was so thick I held my speed at 70 - 75 kph, and that was in my AWD SUV fitted with ice tires and steel studs! You definitely won't drive that road in your coach!

Happy trails!

Jim

Canada, eh?
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote