Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-14-2011, 06:22 AM   #1

First Trip Orlando FL - Charlottetown PE Canada , 2300 miles

Well we have done it...purchased our first motorhome in the US flew down stayed 2 weeks and drove it home...1999 Coachmen Mirada 460 V10 34 ' long super slide....Drove 2300 miles without missing a beat....we left Orlando FL on Monday drove up to Daytona Beach...stayed there for the night just to make sure everything was working well and no problems.....Tuesday we drove to Brunswick GA stopped at the truck stop faxed all necessary paperwork to the US border and stopped for the night at Myrtle Beach SC, stayed there until Wednesday evening drove up to the border in Virginia and stayed in a rest area for the night ...the next day we crossed the Chesapeake Bay Bridge was very cool......drove into Wilmington DE stayed at the Flying J dumped over sewer tanks filled up with fresh water and were ready to roll again......on Friday we drove through NJ and drove by Carlos Bakery we wanted to stop in but could not find parking for the coach..we were very disappointed but we got to see it none the less which was exciting for everyone....we stopped at another rest area just before the Maine border for the night.....and there was 2 feet on snow on the ground from the night before....Got up Saturday drove to the border went to US customs officer came to the coach confirmed the same serial number on title as on wall of coach said thank you and have a great day 2 minutes tops....went to Canada customs spent 15 minutes at the most paid our GST and were on our way ....home 4.5 hours later our darling coach worked like a charm.....BTW i drove a lot of rigs big and small of every size and shape and I must say for an F53 Ford chassis and what i have heard..this puppy drove beautiful....we had a great trip met lots of wonderful people....and will be doing it again.....Coach now has been troen apart all carpet removed, SS inserts put on Fridge and dash....new front steps...allure cork flooring and we be redoing the striping package myself in a few weeks....hope to see you all on the road someday,,...if you see OASIS II on the road stop by and say hello....we can talk over some cold ones....

The Roach Family

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-14-2011, 07:22 AM   #2

Wow, that was ambitious for your first trip. Glad to hear all went well. Enjoy your new toy and the many memorable trips it will provide. Welcome to irv2

Old 04-15-2011, 11:04 AM   #3

Congrads! You really lucked out with no problems. Most used MH's have a few problems and the front end is usually the first thing you will notice. Even with the gas being high you will find if you plan ahead you can save a lot of money using the MH rather than your car, motel rooms and restaurants. We just came back from a week trip and I figure we saved around $400 using the MH and we got to take the dog! Now that it's summer we will come up from Florida to Canada and bug you guys! LOL Good luck.
Old 04-15-2011, 11:27 AM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
I have taken the same trip, as far north as Quebec. Sounds like you had a good time and got a great coach. While you are modifying the coach, there is one thing you need to check. The sway bars on the ford,, used rubber bushings. these rubber bushing almost always fail. Check them and if they are bad, replace them with polyeurathane bushings. you can find them online. I have the same year chassis and love it. Another thing to check is the air intake. Ford placed the air intake in front of the radiator, with the filter at the end. When driving in the rain, water was sucked into the filter, stopping it up and causing the engine to stall. Their quick (and cheep) fix, was to enclose the entire end of the entake with a plastic shroud. This starves the engine of air. Ford has come up with a fix for this that is great. (of course you have to pay for ths one) It increases power and milage. You can call ford owners ser. for the part #'s
Old 04-15-2011, 06:50 PM   #5

Good to hear you had a good trip and no problems. We have a 1999 Windsport with a v10 34ft also. We are from N.B. We are planning to go to Florida next spring, this kind of reassure me that it can be done even with an older MH.Ours has 38K km on it and in pretty good shape too.Do you have the original tires on it? My tires were never changed they are not worn or cracked,I wonder if I should replace them before we go.I know the good folks on this forum will recommend to change them and they are probably right.How much gas did you burn if you don't mind telling me.
Old 04-16-2011, 05:33 PM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by papp View Post
Good to hear you had a good trip and no problems. We have a 1999 Windsport with a v10 34ft also. We are from N.B. We are planning to go to Florida next spring, this kind of reassure me that it can be done even with an older MH.Ours has 38K km on it and in pretty good shape too.Do you have the original tires on it? My tires were never changed they are not worn or cracked,I wonder if I should replace them before we go.I know the good folks on this forum will recommend to change them and they are probably right.How much gas did you burn if you don't mind telling me.
Papp. Its not the mileage its the time and the ozone. I was a ser. mgr. and I have talked to every tire rep. every mh rep in our area and no one reccommends going past ten years. I think seven years on GoodYear is too conservitive. All my customers did ten years with no problems. It's not the blowout that causes the problem(usually) Its the damage to the motorhome that costs so much. Go back with goodyear they make a great tire(now)
Old 04-16-2011, 06:53 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by papp View Post
I am not 100% sure how much fuel we burned kinda forgot to keep track lol....but would guess around 800$ worth I was getting almost 500 miles to a tank full
Its a great trip we plan on trying to sell this coach in the fall and do it all again in the winter....will see if we sell it first....
Old 04-19-2011, 07:42 PM   #8

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Sounds like a really fun trip. Glad everything worked out.

If your tank is 75 gallons, like mine, then you probably averaged about 6.5 to 7.0 MPG.
62_inrightlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 07:58 PM   #9

Was thinking about going to PEI and was wondering what the bridge toll was towing a toad.I know it is one way leaving.
Old 04-19-2011, 09:58 PM   #10

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Just Google "Confederation Bridge" and they have the rates there. LAst time I checked it was around $55 I think.
2008 Pontiac G 6 & Blue Ox Aventa LX
FC Ontario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 10:00 PM   #11

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Congratulations Roach.
Glad you made it home safe and sound.
Just one question you mention its the 460 engine which is a V-8 and then you say the motor is a V-10? I expect for that year it is a V-10 which is around 415 cu inches?
Inquiring minds want to know.
Enjoy.
Old 04-20-2011, 05:24 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC Ontario View Post
Congratulations Roach.
Glad you made it home safe and sound.
Just one question you mention its the 460 engine which is a V-8 and then you say the motor is a V-10? I expect for that year it is a V-10 which is around 415 cu inches?
Inquiring minds want to know.
Enjoy.
Well i guess I will have to find out for sure but i do know on the side of the coach it does say V10 Triton ....where can i find out information about it should it be somewhere on or in the coach?
Old 04-20-2011, 09:48 AM   #13

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hi Again:
If it has the decal on the side, then you indeed have the V-10 and the cu inches are about 415. We have had two V-10's and they are GREAT motors. The newer- ( after 05 I think) even have more power, but we are happy with ours.
Enjoy.