Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-06-2013, 06:21 PM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My home state of Colorado really appreciates us campers and offers lots of opportunities to enjoy the the views and wide vistas. We do however have a law that any vehicle with over five cars trailing behind it can be fined big time. To alleviate those traffic back-ups, we provide numerous pull-offs on all of the mountain roads, both up-hill and down. I-70 and the freeways won't be a problem, but if you are on US 40 or 36 going to Rocky Mountain National Park, be sure to be considerate and pull over if you are starting to tie up traffic. Not only will your brakes and transmission appreciate the rest, but you'll get a chance to look for all of our considerable wildlife.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-07-2013, 06:04 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by willisclarke View Post
Can't help you with towing, but a suggestion that you have already probably researched. Try and stay at least two days in Cody, it is a wonderful town with the greatest museums I have ever witnessed (5 separate in one location); you cannot do justice in a few hours, or even in one day, but the western culture is overwhelming! Enjoy, I know you will love it.
Thanks. As the drive from Fishing Creek campground in Yellowstone to Cody is only 79 miles, we have made reservations to stay 3 nights (giving us 2 1/2 days) to sightsee in Cody. Appreciate the input.

Old 01-07-2013, 06:30 AM   #17

Consider buying a Mountain Driving Guide for Truckers, RV and Motorhome Drivers

"This gives the locations and descriptions of over 700 mountain passes and steep grades in 22 states. The Mountain Directory tells you where the steep grades are, how long they are, how steep (%) they are, whether the road is two lane, three lane, or four lane, if there are escape ramps, switchbacks, sharp curves, speed limits, etc. With this information, one can know ahead of time what a pass is like and make an informed decision about whether to go over or around. If you decide to go over, perhaps the cool morning hours would ease the strain on the engine and transmission during the climb. Unhooking the towed vehicle would make the climb and the descent easier. Knowing what lies ahead is half the battle."

Also, change the motorhome's brake fluid. See Oemy's Web Site - Tech Tips

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb1943.910 View Post
...Any suggestions or comments will be GREATLY appreciated.
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 06:44 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gormleys View Post
My home state of Colorado really appreciates us campers and offers lots of opportunities to enjoy the the views and wide vistas. We do however have a law that any vehicle with over five cars trailing behind it can be fined big time. To alleviate those traffic back-ups, we provide numerous pull-offs on all of the mountain roads, both up-hill and down. I-70 and the freeways won't be a problem, but if you are on US 40 or 36 going to Rocky Mountain National Park, be sure to be considerate and pull over if you are starting to tie up traffic. Not only will your brakes and transmission appreciate the rest, but you'll get a chance to look for all of our considerable wildlife.
That is a law in several states, not just Colorado. There are some great previous posts. Just have fun and enjoy your trip. I like to also run with my head lights on during the day on 2 lane highways.
Old 01-07-2013, 07:00 AM   #19

Tiffin Owners Club
I didn't see in your post if your tow dolly has electric brakes, also, unless I missed it, I haven't seen anyone ask. Not being familar with tow dollys, I do see that some have brakes and others don't. Just thought I would bring this up. I owned a 1999 Winni 29 foot with the Ford V10, don't remember for sure the horse power, but pulling a 2000 chevy tracker with a blue ox was slow going up steep hills in Iowa. I tow without overdrive. Have a great trip, sounds like fun, keep us posted along the way.
kewag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:16 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by kewag View Post
I didn't see in your post if your tow dolly has electric brakes, also, unless I missed it, I haven't seen anyone ask. Not being familar with tow dollys, I do see that some have brakes and others don't. Just thought I would bring this up. I owned a 1999 Winni 29 foot with the Ford V10, don't remember for sure the horse power, but pulling a 2000 chevy tracker with a blue ox was slow going up steep hills in Iowa. I tow without overdrive. Have a great trip, sounds like fun, keep us posted along the way.

Have purchased a new tow master tow dolly with electric brakes and magnetic brake light bar for towed vehicle. I am going to assume the "hills" on our route thru the rockies will be a lot longer and steeper than those in Iowa and will be taking the unit out of overdrive thru same.

Have recieved some valuable insight and suggestions from all who've read my question and will heed it!!! Experience is the best teacher and I'm going to profit from your experiences.

Many thanks to everyone!!!
Old 01-08-2013, 12:09 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb1943.910 View Post

Have purchased a new tow master tow dolly with electric brakes and magnetic brake light bar for towed vehicle. I am going to assume the "hills" on our route thru the rockies will be a lot longer and steeper than those in Iowa and will be taking the unit out of overdrive thru same.

Have recieved some valuable insight and suggestions from all who've read my question and will heed it!!! Experience is the best teacher and I'm going to profit from your experiences.

Many thanks to everyone!!!
Some states require that toads have brakes. Some states don't have that requirement for toads.
Old 01-08-2013, 12:57 PM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyorancher View Post
Some states require that toads have brakes. Some states don't have that requirement for toads.
Only a few states actually require a brake system in a vehicle being towed provided they can demonstrate stopping within certain distances. Generally for toads there is a requirement to stop the RV and toad within a specific distance. For example, IL requires being able to come to a complete stop from 20 MPH within 30' and 55' for the hand brake.

Toad Brake Requirements

OTOH most of them require brake systems for trailers under certain conditions. I would ASSUME that dolly towing a car would tend to fall into this category but I don't know that for a fact. (some of this link seems old but probably accurate regarding trailer towing requirements. You should verify.)

http://www.towingworld.com/articles/TowingLaws.htm
Old 01-08-2013, 04:27 PM   #23

We have a 1999 Pace Arrow Vision 36 ft with a V-10 and have traveled the areas you indicated, towing either a car 4 down or a 20 ft enclosed trailer. You will make it OK, the V-10 will scream which seems unusual, util you get used to the high RPM's it's meant to run at.
Old 01-09-2013, 06:23 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanJH View Post
We have a 1999 Pace Arrow Vision 36 ft with a V-10 and have traveled the areas you indicated, towing either a car 4 down or a 20 ft enclosed trailer. You will make it OK, the V-10 will scream which seems unusual, util you get used to the high RPM's it's meant to run at.
Now THAT was an extremely helpful comment.....I am always concerned about engine noise and to hear someone with a similar power plant say it "will scream but thats normal" will definitely ease my concerns when it does occur. I will be VERY attentive to the RPMs and Temp guages.

As an aside, I am averaging 7.2MPG around here. The trip will be just over 5,400 miles. Hence i'm estimating some 900 galoons of fuel assuming 6MPG. Given you have a similar size unit and tow experience in the same area, is my MPG estimate reasonable (note that i lowered estimate from 7.2 to 6MPG)? Thanks in advance.
Old 01-09-2013, 02:21 PM   #25

I drive a 13 liter diesel now, but I used to pull a trailer behind a van with a 6.0 liter V8. Screaming is not a problem (except for fuel usage), watch your oil temp, oil pressure, and water temp.

If you don't have an oil temp gauge, get one added. Water temp moves more slowly than oil temp. It will get hot, just don't let it burn.
distaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 02:59 PM   #26

Ford Super Duty Owner
We live down the road a piece from you' (Atlanta) We have a 1998 35 ft Pace Arrow with the V10. We have made the same trip in 07, 08 and 09. We had no problems with grades. Remember to gear down for the hills. The water pump MUST move water through the engine and radiator to keep the engine cool. Pull hills at 4000 rpm. We only encountered one mtn. that could not be pulled in 2nd gear. (It was not on the interstate.) As another poster said, You MUST change the brake fluid. Go down the hills in second gear and DO NOT ride the brakes. Brake moderately hard to 35 mph. let off the brakes and let the speed build to 50 mph. brake to 35 and let off and so on. I also installed the Banks intake. I also removed the Ford muffler and installed a stainless flow thru muffler. My mileage after the mods in 08 and 09 was 8.33 mpg. This was pulling a Honda Civic. I also added air bags to the front slat springs and the ride improved dramatically.