Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-01-2015, 09:22 PM   #15

Ray,

I think you've got some of your 80 and 90 mixed up. While Rock Springs is definitely on the 80, Wall Drug, Rushmore, Devil's Tower, etc., are off the 90.

Steve
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-01-2015, 10:38 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveLevin View Post
Ray,

I think you've got some of your 80 and 90 mixed up. While Rock Springs is definitely on the 80, Wall Drug, Rushmore, Devil's Tower, etc., are off the 90.

Steve
My bad, you are right. Thanks for calling me on that. I stayed up to watch the Super Bowl and never made it to bed yet. I have never considered driving WY 14 or 16 West to Cody, too much mountain driving for me; that's why I enter Yellowstone or Cody from the South from I 80. We like to stop at Thermopolis WY and soak in the hot springs, we get there by driving North from Rawlins WY enroute to Cody. I have entered from the North at Gardiner MT, a bit too many curves, but both are easy grades uphill into Yellowstone. The East entrance is steep, windey and taxes your cooling system, it does have pull-outs though if needed.
You leave Yellowstone by the South to get to Jackson and Grand Tetons, then go to Rock Springs to pickup I 80 Eastbound.
We'll be driving that route this coming summer/fall on our return from Utah's natural wonders and NP's.
I hope I explained it right this time.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 10:44 PM   #17

I would not worry about mountain grades while on interstate, all are doable in your rv. As you mentioned, hit badlands and mt Rushmore on the way out, if you don't have time then skip them. It's a long drive to Utah, make the most of it. There is a lot to see. Once you hit the Rockies it's considered the west. Everything in between is Midwest and mostly flat.
Old 02-02-2015, 11:11 PM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
I live in Indiana. When we go West I use I 80. You'll pass the Corn Palace at MItchell, then Badlands NP., of course the tourist-trap Wall Drug is on I 80 too, Mt. Rushmore is about 35 mile South of I 80, Devils Tower is about 35 mile North of I 80 in SD. The quickest and easiest way (IMO) to Yellowstone NP is I 80 to Rock Springs WY, then North on WY 191 to Grand Tetons/Jackson WY.
Then on North into Yellowstone. You may exit Yellowstone via the East entrance-it's all downhill exiting Eastbound, mountain grade to the park boundary, very curvy, with a 35 MPH speed limit (I think). At Cody you go South through Wind River Canyon Reservation to Rawlins, missing the steep mountains East of Cody. OR, you may retrace your route back to I 80.
I'm not telling you to go my route, just relating our route to see those things.
When did they move all those places to I 80? When I visited them they were on I 90.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 07:13 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
When did they move all those places to I 80? When I visited them they were on I 90.
I deserve that. Had too much fun watching the superbowl and that astounding end.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 08:25 PM   #20

If you're on I-90 add Murdo, SD to your list and stop at the Auto Museum there. It's way more than autos and a really interesting place to spend a few hours. There is a decent overnight CG next to it and the diner there has good food.

We came in the west side of Yellowstone and out the east side in our Georgetown gasser towing a jeep with no problems.

Your 16 days isn't much time to get to and do justice to Utah. You might want to think about Yellowstone & maybe Teton. Cody is a fun town and has a great museum. If you have a toad and can take the time, driving the Beartooth Highway/Chief Joseph Hwy loop is a must. It's a day trip from Cody and well worth it. We dropped south to Thermopolis then to Casper and and avoided 14 & 16 too because of the steep grades.

Not sure how many miles you plan to drive per day but we average about 47 mph from pulling out in the mornings to pulling into the next CG. That included gas stops, rest stops & lunch. Most of the time we fixed lunch (sandwiches) in the coach and ate at picnic tables at the rest stops. We also travel with our boxers so that mph average includes time for walks for them.

Good luck!
KarenS144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 09:12 PM   #21

As mentioned all of the interstates have a maximum grade of 7%. Very doable with your MH. I70 in CO is spectacular. If you use Jackson as your base, going up to Teton pass on the way to ID has an 11% grade. Going up is no big deal, but coming down without an engine brake will test skills and bodily function control.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 08:27 AM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Unless you're in a hurry, stay off of I80, except from Elkhart and across the south of Chicago. Try the RED roads like US 30. Most are 4 lane, have less traffic and there's a lot more to see and enjoy than traveling on 80.
super_rep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 08:25 AM   #23

Anyone have any suggestions for my trip east, leaving Las Vegas in mid September heading to Lambeau Field inGreen Bay. I'm thinking I'll go I-40 toTucumcari, NM but I might be tempted to explore some sights on Route 66. Any suggestions? We have a 35' DP towing a Saturn Vue.
Cheezehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 07:50 PM   #24

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheezehead View Post
Anyone have any suggestions for my trip east, leaving Las Vegas in mid September heading to Lambeau Field inGreen Bay. I'm thinking I'll go I-40 toTucumcari, NM but I might be tempted to explore some sights on Route 66. Any suggestions? We have a 35' DP towing a Saturn Vue.
I-40 is my favorite route east-west. lots to see and do along the way.
in AZ
Meteor Crater , Painted Desert, Petrified forest, lots of nice town like Williams, Windlow.
in New Mexico
El Mapais national mounument (old lava flow right next to I-40)
Santa Rosa has a nice U.S. Route 66 Car museum
Then Texas and Oklahoma Rt 66 stuff to see is all over the place.
I-40 will take you to Oklahoma city where you find I-44 to St louis
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote