Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-20-2016, 09:49 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
1. Nope
2. Nope
3. Nope
Not a DvG thread!
Back on topic: to the OP, relax and enjoy the ride. You have a fine setup and will get used to it.
Best wishes and Happy Trails

Dave and Nola, RV Mutants
I speak only in truth and have videos to back the results,,, so many times I have heard that if you wanna get that trailer up the hill quicker,,, get a pusher

simpley not true... my v-10 pull the 6% grade 15-20 mph faster than any diesel pusher..

the problem I have with people talking out of school is people read this and believe it... then find out it was un true..

I took the same loaded trailer and pulled it up the same 6% grade.

I did it with 4 v-10's and 2 diesel pushers

this whole site is dp verse gas... dp'rs always come on the ford section and say how they go up the hills faster..

simpley not trure and no where has it been proven...

the two diesels were the slowest..and I have the video to prove it....

if needed I will re post them..

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-20-2016, 09:51 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_S View Post
This is our first trip up and down the roads in the Black Hills SD. Pulling a dolly and Sable. Using the Tow-Haul our poor little V-10 was workin' it's but off! I can't even imagine what the 'real' mountains must be like!
Dan
what year is the motor home??and what size

Old 05-20-2016, 10:13 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVRVLUVR View Post
what year is the motor home??and what size

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1463757148.576743.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	87.9 KB
ID:	127606

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 10:27 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
Attachment 127606

thanks
seems like the 2010's really benefit from the banks kit

they had that crazy y pipe that killed the power
Old 05-24-2016, 09:48 AM   #19

We have a 2012 Sightseer 30'. Been over the Rockies twice pulling a dolly and our Solara. The Winnie did just fine thru both Wolf Creek Pass and the Eisenhower tunnel. Did she work hard? Yes, but we wouldn't hesitate to do it again and plan to this fall.
Old 06-06-2016, 09:39 PM   #20

I've been thinking of going to black hills with my van which is rated at 7300 towing max and my tt is 4500 dry. Think my van can handle it? It's a 2001 Chevy express 1500 with the lower 3.43 rear ratio . Opinions requested please , thanks
Old 06-07-2016, 09:32 AM   #21

Forest River Owners Club
No way you can convince me that a 40' gasser can pull a 6% grade 20 mph faster than my 40' diesel... If both rigs are of comparable weight (28K-32K lbs) it simply won't happen.... The gasser won't have the torque the diesel will which is a major factor in climbing that 6% grade...

I've had a gasser and know from experience that that V-10 was working its butt off and roaring as it climbed the grade....
Old 06-07-2016, 01:55 PM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpep View Post
I've been thinking of going to black hills with my van which is rated at 7300 towing max and my tt is 4500 dry. Think my van can handle it? It's a 2001 Chevy express 1500 with the lower 3.43 rear ratio . Opinions requested please , thanks
I suggest that you focus on the Gross Combined Weight Rating. You should take your van fully fueled to a scale. Then add estimated weight of passengers, gear, and WD hitch. Especially if you have a conversion van like we did. That added approx 300 lbs to the mix but you won't see that on the door plate. We had a 3500 Chev (1 ton) 6 liter pulling a 7,000 lb (loaded) TT and we were very close to the 14,000 lb GCWR. We also added beefy drilled and slotted rotors and semi-metallic pads, transmission pan cooler, and an auxillary cooler for the radiator. If you don't have a trans temp gauge, have one installed. Along with the coolant temp gauge, watch them religiously while traversing mountain grades. We made two 5,000+ mile trips out west with the only major issue being a failed axle bearing on the TT. This was a new TT and we had less than 10K miles on it. Although it was smoking, I proceeded to the next freeway exit after a one-hour halt to let it cool down. Too late though, and I limped to a gas station at the exit where the entire wheel came off. Not sure how long you have owned your TT, but if you still have the cheap Chinese mgfr OEM tires, get them replaced now with the best E load ratings you can afford. I can't emphasize enough checking tire pressure, especially before you leave in the morning. Mountains and wind, oh my! Enjoy and be safe.
Old 06-07-2016, 03:08 PM   #23

Yeah I've been looking at trans coolesr and a temp gauge as well. I just replaced tires with cheap tires but went up a notch with load D vs the recommended C. I have to do a bit more work looks like before I make this trip .
Old 06-07-2016, 03:23 PM   #24

Question, did you pack your bearings ? What do you believe caused the bearing failure ?
Old 06-08-2016, 04:31 PM   #25

Newmar Owners Club
There was no need for me to pack bearings in a new trailer with approx 7K miles on it. Or so I thought! The lesson is to always inspect before a long trip. Even allowing for for approx 1,500 mile trip from factory, the manual says repack at 10K miles. As it was still under warranty, Dexter not only paid for the wheel assembly, they also paid for over half of the labor. They lady I dealt with at Dexter was great.

This is just one of the reasons I no longer have a TT. On the hunt for a Newmar or comparable DP motor home now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpep View Post
Question, did you pack your bearings ? What do you believe caused the bearing failure ?
Old 06-08-2016, 07:17 PM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
Talking

Quote:
I speak only in truth and have videos to back the results,,, so many times I have heard that if you wanna get that trailer up the hill quicker,,, get a pusher

simpley not true... my v-10 pull the 6% grade 15-20 mph faster than any diesel pusher..

the problem I have with people talking out of school is people read this and believe it... then find out it was un true..

this whole site is dp verse gas... dp'rs always come on the ford section and say how they go up the hills faster..

Who is driving a diesel pusher now??
Old 06-08-2016, 07:44 PM   #27

First trip up and down the hills

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy Swede View Post
There was no need for me to pack bearings in a new trailer with approx 7K miles on it. Or so I thought! The lesson is to always inspect before a long trip. Even allowing for for approx 1,500 mile trip from factory, the manual says repack at 10K miles. As it was still under warranty, Dexter not only paid for the wheel assembly, they also paid for over half of the labor. They lady I dealt with at Dexter was great.

This is just one of the reasons I no longer have a TT. On the hunt for a Newmar or comparable DP motor home now.

Wow, that's pretty crazy. So brand new and the bearings failed. The quality in everything in general seems to be going down now A days. Sorry to read about this but glad you and your family are doing well.
Old 06-08-2016, 07:58 PM   #28

Quote:

Do you even own a motorhome? You are so misinformed. Just saying.

Randy W